Great Post-War big band swing records (No Basie / Ellington)

Rabshakeh

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Michel Legrand:

Legrand Jazz

Michel Legrand Plays Richard Rodgers

Several by Lalo Schifrin:

New Fantasy (under his own name)

Gillespiana (Diz)

The New Continent (Diz)

Several Shades of Jade (Cal Tjader)

48 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Dick Grove - Little Bird Suite (Pacific Jazz, 1963)

These are great big band records, but not so much in the swing category. 

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

These are great big band records, but not so much in the swing category. 

Well, I made that distinction earlier, and it sounded like you wanted to expand the criteria to include things outside of swing, but if swing is your thing, then I will be more selective in my suggestions moving forward.

14 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Well, I made that distinction earlier, and it sounded like you wanted to expand the criteria to include things outside of swing, but if swing is your thing, then I will be more selective in my suggestions moving forward.

I just mean that if the band has some bop / progressive edges, that's fine; likewise R&B, or even electric edges. It doesn't need to be preserved in time. But the bop big band stuff I have a reasonable handle on. Obviously these distinctions are not always easily made.

Edited by Rabshakeh

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I mean, they were all great records.

Would late-1950s/early-1960s jazz film scores - or, more accurately, tie-ins - qualify?  For example, do you know Mundell Lowe's Satan in High Heels?  It is fantastic.  Like many US "soundtrack" albums of the period, it is not the film score, but rather a straight-ahead jazz album, more or less, that expands on some themes. 

20 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Would late-1950s/early-1960s jazz film scores - or, more accurately, tie-ins - qualify?  For example, do you know Mundell Lowe's Satan in High Heels?  It is fantastic.  Like many US "soundtrack" albums of the period, it is not the film score, but rather a straight-ahead jazz album, more or less, that expands on some themes. 

Yeah or Jimmy Smith's The Cat (Lalo Shifrin). 

What about the great TV jazz bands.  Tonite show, Steve Allen had a band didn't he. etc.  I don't have any recordings by those bands but some were pretty tight.

24 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I do not, although I love TV Action Jazz, so will certainly check this out.

Just now, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Yeah or Jimmy Smith's The Cat (Lalo Shifrin). 

One of my wife's favourite records, there.

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Try Benny Goodman In Moscow

Helluva band. 

Good suggestion. I'll give it a listen.

15 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yea, all the NY albums like that are great. Manny Albam made a bunch of albums that are fine. They always had Phil Woods or Gene Quill on lead alto, Eddie Costa on piano and/or vibes or Hank Jones on piano, Clark Terry playing trumpet solos, Bernie Glow playing lead trumpet, and of course the NY rhythm section, Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson with Barry Galbraith on guitar, and Urbie Green on Bone.

A Whole slew of Manny Albam records:

er

• The Drum Suite (RCA Victor, 1956)
  • The Jazz Workshop (RCA Victor, 1956)
  • Manny Albam and the Jazz Greats of Our Time Vol. 1 (Coral, 1957)
  • Steve's Songs (Dot Records, 1958)
  • Jazz Horizons: Jazz New York (Dot Records, 1958)
  • Sophisticated Lady (Coral, 1958)
  • With All My Love (Mercury, 1958)
  • A Gallery of Gershwin (Coral, 1958)
  • The Jazz Greats of Our Time Vol. 2 (Coral, 1958)
  • The Blues Is Everybody's Business (Coral, 1958)
  • Double Exposures (Top Rank, 1960)
  • West Side Story (Vocalion, 1960)
  • I Had The Craziest Dream (RCA Victor, 1961)
  • More Double Exposure (RCA Victor, 1961)
  • Jazz Goes to the Movies (Impulse!, 1962)
  • Brass on Fire (Solid State, 1966)
  • The Soul of the City

Given the original parameters, some parts of the first buddy Rich Pacific Jazz albums would qualify, as would some parts of the 1960s Woody Herman records. Both bands might not have played Swing as in Swing Era. but they both never abandoned certain key parts of their ethos from the earlier days either.

Just sayin', don't overlook one thing because of another.

Oh yeah, Lionel Hampton & Illinois Jaquet both kept EXCELLENT big bands. I never pass on an opportunity to post this INSANE clip:

Just now, JSngry said:

Given the original parameters, some parts of the first buddy Rich Pacific Jazz albums would qualify, as would some parts of the 1960s Woody Herman records. Both bands might not have played Swing as in Swing Era. but they both never abandoned certain key parts of their ethos from the earlier days either.

Just sayin', don't overlook one thing because of another.

Oh yeah, Lionel Hampton & Illinois Jaquet both kept EXCELLENT big bands. I never pass on an opportunity to post this INSANE clip:

The Buddy Rich stuff is definitely in there. We were talking about it recently, and that's one of the things that led me to that Auld record.

Do any Lionel Hampton or Illinois Jacquet big band records measure up? I know Hampton's earlier singles, and Jacquet's smaller group records.

Just now, sgcim said:

Jimmy?

Jimmy Wales. The Wikipedia guy. Keeps a lower profile than Elon, Big Jeff and Zuck.