BFT 236 (4orda ppl EZPZ Mix)

JSngry

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured out how to listen to BFTs on my tablet, making it easier for me to listen than being tied to my desktop computer. This was one of the facts keeping me from participating.

1. Now that really was easy. I immediately thought of this jam session: https://www.discogs.com/release/1839026-Various-Newport-In-New-York-72-The-Jam-Sessions-Vols-1-And-2

Why the first trumpet soloist never rose to star fame escapes me. Really good playing throughout. I like them much better than JATP. Oh, and that drummer was one of the greatest. His creativity is the only justification for that much rechnical proficiency.

Edited by mikeweil

Track 01 - I gotta go!  :D A for-real gunner here.  This is not tributary, this is the real thing.  I know a lot of guys it isn't, and they're all from a happy neighborhood (Buddy Tate, Budd Johnson).  There's almost a James Clay vibe here.  Mello sound here.  Could be flugelhorn, but sounds like a really mellow trumpet.  I think this is a younger player than the tenor, b/c there seems to be more focus on technique.  Setting is throwing me, and the sound isn't as warm as I'd expect, but could be Art Farmer.  Probably not.  Even though the solo was a tad showy, I liked it.  Don't place the alto, but an admirable solo.  Reminds me of Phil Woods before declared himself pope.  BURNIN' trumpet solo.  It's not Roy, but he likes Roy, and that's a good thing.  Not a fan of the organist.  Chopping the notes off and it does NOT have the desired effect.  Also, hate the sound he's getting.  VERY grating (as in I'm a few seconds short of putting my foot through the speaker).  Just, no.

Track 02 - Recognize that trumpet player, but I'm not getting it.  Warm, fat sound.  Has balls, too, but without being in your face about it.  That tenor sure has moments of a Buddy Tate vibe, but doesn't seem to have the full power of his sound (or could be the speakers).  This is certainly someone I know, but I can't commit on Buddy.  Right neighborhood, though.  Very KC/Texas sound, but some modern-ish aggressive tendencies.  I could listen to this guy all night and smile the whole time.  That woman HURT this guy, and he's not happy about it.  Is this the same recording as first cut?  Players don't really sound the same to me, but the sound quality does.  In fact, that could be the slightly more showy trumpet from the first cut.  I like the guy, but I feel like he's a little hung up on who/what he is.  Like Faddis but with a better tone, which suggests someone of that older generation (as in, showy or not, he means it).  You know... better sound, showy, fair sized ego... *COULD* actually be later Roy.  Yeah, this HAS to be the same band/recording.  LOVE this alto player.  Has no time for BS.  I *want* it to be Phil Woods forgetting he's Phil Woods for a night, b/c that's about what I'm hearing.  There's nothing wrong with a single moment in this solo.  This solo is far more palatable.  Partly because the shrillness of the organ has been scaled back.  Ooof... just went into the toggle and, congratulations!  You've lost me.  This sounds like it could have been an epic recording if the organist had any taste.  The too-much factor here is akin to the jam session vocalist that feels the need to behave like they're on Broadway.  

Track 03 - No mistaking that guy.  I've always wanted to like this record more than I do, and yet I seem to get back to it with fond ears when I hear it one cut at a time.  Forget the name of the tune.  The cover of Are You Ready was always a hit with me.  When I first bought this in the early 80s, I was too young to appreciate the ballad work.  When I reaquired it... WOW!  

Short and to the point, sir.  Well done.  Interested to find out what the all-star session was on the first two tracks.

DAMN IT!  I almost said Mingus but figured I was sure to be wrong because of the setting!

13 minutes ago, tkeith said:

I was not, I didn't realize it was not ID'd (too focused on the first two tracks).  It's from Sonny Rollins' album Nucleus on Milestone.  Not sure the title of the track, but no doubt that's what it is.

Ah perhaps Jim's effort to demonstrate how there are gems in his post-60s work.

Thom - thanks for the detailed response. There's a lot of playing there!

Dan - actually Track 3 was included as a "finale" here not just because it's a totally beautiful (imo) performance, but also because of the jam session-ish feel of it. The leader isn't heavily featured, especially not at the expense of the other players.

As for that organist on the jams...I love him and what he does here, but I understand that not everybody will, and why they won't. He's pretty, uh...unambiguous!

Opinions aside, he's one of the biggest, and most overlooked, influences in modern jazz piano (sic) playing. And it's on display here on organ. 

As for the rest of the players in that jam...it was indeed an amazing combination of players, as initially seemingly unlikely as it was ultimately successful.

To that end, I have what might be a treat in the reveal, when we get there. 

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

It's from Sonny Rollins' album Nucleus on Milestone.  Not sure the title of the track, but no doubt that's what it is.

Never would have guessed that. Debussy's tune, of course .... I only bought Rollins' first two albums on Milestone, never got around to hear or even buy the next ones. 

54 minutes ago, JSngry said:

As for that organist on the jams...I love him and what he does here, but I understand that not everybody will, and why they won't. He's pretty, uh...unambiguous!

Opinions aside, he's one of the biggest, and most overlooked, influences in modern jazz piano (sic) playing. And it's on display here on organ. 

Yes he is - most here are fixed on the post Jimmy Smith school of jazz organ and overlook the stream coming from Fats Waller - the guy here and Jackie Davis may be the most prominent. A great player, and he had much more sense of humour than Smith in his whole career.

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Yes he is - most here are fixed on the post Jimmy Smith school of jazz organ and overlook the stream coming from Fats Waller - the guy here and Jackie Davis may be the most prominent. A great player, and he had much more sense of humour than Smith in his whole career.

Another thing about that "color" of organ is that it's actually quite common in Black church music of a certain time, as well in the more churchy Soul Jazz organ. So it's not unreasonable to consider it as an "ethnic" thing, which then pivots the entire band likewise (especially the tenor on the blues), and then ... the bassist! And also from him to Lionel Hampton! Connective tissue abounds;

Once again, imo, a fascinating group and document of same. 

17 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Listening again with the volume up (computer to TV sound system via bluetooth and I didn't have the computer up earlier b/c I'm a moron).  Keee-RIST!  Of COURSE it's Buddy Tate!

Hello! 

Late to this party, but what a party it is! 

Tracks 1 and 2 are a good reminder of how jam sessions can go right (making me suspect Bob Weinstock was not involved [JK]). I'm most impressed here by the trumpet player who solos first on both tracks.

The tenor player is just so in the pocket on that slow blues. Nice tone, too; not too heavy or syrupy. 

That bass player could be only one bass player. The ideas, the technique, the swing, the tone, the tuning... that has to be Mingus.

I think I know what this is from context clues. (Spoiler below.) If I'm right, I've got to do some more homework to track down recordings featuring this trumpet player. I'm also going to have to go back and listen almost exclusively to the rhythm section.

Track 3: Sonny Rollins sounding gruff, even a bit hoarse. I guess some listeners get turned off by this choice — it's more R&B than "jazz" strictly speaking, I suppose —  but I hear it as just another color in his paintbox. It also reminds me a bit of how Lee Konitz roughened up his tone as he explored other avenues of free playing. His solo here does seem oddly unresolved; truncated, even. Probably better to say it sticks a landing in an unexpected spot. And to enjoy how he makes a meal (as the actors like to say) out of every note he sustains.

Spoiler:

Newport in New York '72, the tracks with Milt Buckner, Mingus, Alan Dawson, Jimmy Owens (!!!), Buddy Tate, Charles McPherson, Cat Anderson, and Roland Hanna