Mal Waldron/Terumasa Hino - Reminicent Suite reissue

Harbour

Wow guys this is great news. If there’s one record that deserves a good reissue it’s this one! It’s my favorite Mal record which says something I think. For those not convinced I hope to convince with my blog review:

https://snake-out.blogspot.com/2021/01/1972-mal-waldronterumasa-hino.html

its really really good. I have the original Japanese LP and almost never buy a second version but I am seriously considering this as it means a lot to me. Also glad for the cd collectors this finally comes out on that format.

Edited by Pim

13 minutes ago, Pim said:

Wow guys this is great news. If there’s one record that deserves a good reissue it’s this one! It’s my favorite Mal record which says something I think.

I totally agree.  It's an amazing record.

So happy to hear this news!  I've wanted this record for a long time.  :D 

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

So happy to hear this news!  I've wanted this record for a long time.  :D 

Yeah, I’ve been pining for this one on CD for 10 years, maybe even closer to 15 years (can’t remember if I got the burn I have of it before or after I moved to DC).

NEVER expected I’d ever see it reissued, to be honest. Happy day!! 🥰

16 minutes ago, felser said:

I'm in eventually.  Hope someone besides bandcamp carries it.

On the BBE label, so I think Dusty Groove is likely to get some copies. I'll preorder if/when it shows up on their "Coming Soon" page. Waiting for "in stock" notification risks missing out.

7 hours ago, Pim said:

If there’s one record that deserves a good reissue it’s this one! It’s my favorite Mal record which says something I think.

So, Pim, what’s your favorite Mal piano-trio record? — since Reminicent Suite is clearly your favorite one with horns (and it’s also MY favorite Mal record with horns).

Or better yet…

1) What’s your favorite LIVE Mal trio release?

2) What’s your favorite STUDIO Mal trio release?

3) And then between just those two — which one do you like better??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

49 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

So, Pim, what’s your favorite Mal piano-trio record? — since Reminicent Suite is clearly your favorite one with horns (and it’s also MY favorite Mal record with horns).

Or better yet…

1) What’s your favorite LIVE Mal trio release?

2) What’s your favorite STUDIO Mal trio release?

3) And then between just those two — which one do you like better??

That’s a tough one. If I’d really really had to make a decision I’d say Number Nineteen is my favorite studio trio date and Black Glory my favorite live trio date. And if I really had to choose beteeen them I’d probably go for Black Glory.

But would still want to mention Blood and Guts as a serious runner up live record and Free at Last, Tokyo Bound and First Encounter as essential trio studio records. But now I am cheating ;)

1 hour ago, Pim said:

That’s a tough one. If I’d really really had to make a decision I’d say Number Nineteen is my favorite studio trio date and Black Glory my favorite live trio date. And if I really had to choose between them I’d probably go for Black Glory.

I'd vote for Black Glory too.   

. . . But I'd also lobby to include Mal Waldron Plays the Blues -- since it was made at the same gig, on the same day as Black Glory.   They're companion records that go together.  :P 

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

On the BBE label, so I think Dusty Groove is likely to get some copies. I'll preorder if/when it shows up on their "Coming Soon" page. Waiting for "in stock" notification risks missing out.

Good idea! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 12:11 AM, HutchFan said:

I'd vote for Black Glory too.   

. . . But I'd also lobby to include Mal Waldron Plays the Blues -- since it was made at the same gig, on the same day as Black Glory.   They're companion records that go together.  :P 

Agreed .... btw "Plays The Blues" even nearer to my ❤️heart❤️ ....

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

CD shipping today from Dusty Groove!!

Same here. Surprising, I thought it wasn't expected until next month.

[Added] Funny thing, DG must have ordered unusually many copies. Even with all these preorders, they are still (8 PM EDT Monday) showing it in stock!

Edited by T.D.

I'm going to take my chances and still get this in January or early February.  I just got a little bigger size order than usual from Dusty a few days ago (just my luck).

I'm optimistic because there are quite a number of BBE jazz-reissue titles that have stayed available on Dusty's site for more than two years -- so I'm hoping I'll be safe waiting just another month or so.  If not, I'm sure I can track one down one way or another -- but I do think they'll still be coming up on Dusty's site -- brand new -- for most of 2024, if not even 2025.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Great album. Bought an original when those things were less expensive. I'm sure BBE did a fine job; anyone know if it's from tapes?

I also doubt it. I think that if it is they will mention it for it increases its market value. If it’s not they don’t mention anything. My experiences wit BBE are excellent up till now (Takeo Moriyama and Makoto Terashita).

I also have an original that sounds like most Japanese Victor records: amazing. Doubting to pick up the reissue so I could leave the original protected on the vaults as I cherish this record as one of my all time favorites. I normally don’t do duplicates

30 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'm going to take my chances and still get this in January or early February.  I just got a little bigger size order than usual from Dusty a few days ago (just my luck).

I'm optimistic because there are quite a number of BBE jazz-reissue titles that have stayed available on Dusty's site for more than two years -- so I'm hoping I'll be safe waiting just another month or so.  If not, I'm sure I can track one down one way or another -- but I do think they'll still be coming up on Dusty's site -- brand new -- for most of 2024, if not even 2025.

[Emphasis added] DG marks down some unsold BBE CDs to $9.99 after a while. In a Panglossian scenario you could get that deal. 😉, but I decided to preorder.

Edited by T.D.

I bought a bunch of their Strata Records reissues, plus the Mingus 5 disc set several years ago, and had no problem getting them at reasonable prices from domestic sellers.  I think the Mingus set was even from Amazon.  I'm in for the Waldron/Hino, and intrigued by a Shamek Farrah live disc I see on their website.