Groups with three guitarists

Milestones

I have enjoyed groups with two guitarists (sometimes just two alone), but three has not really done if for me.  In fact, I have been been checking out the recently released Saturday Night in San Francisco by McLaughlin, DiMeola, and De Lucia.  I was never much into that group, even though I am a huge McLaughlin fan.  A few outstanding tracks, such as "David" and "Beyond the Mirage."  But in general too fast, too crowded, too showy.  

But I too like the jazz guitar band by Kenny Burrell, which featured Rodney Jones and Bobby Broom (plus bass and drums).  

I think I'm long past the point of being a speed freak, and too often that seems to be the purpose.  

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Didn´t Mingus use three fusion guitarists on "Three or Four Shades of the Blues" ? 

And I think Miles on "Dark Magus" in addition to Pete Cosey and Reggie Lucas used a guy Dominique Gaumont..... also on the studio album "Get Up with it". 

On Dark Magus, Gaumont shows up for Sides 3 and 4 and while Cosey is mostly on percussion while Gaumont is playing, all three guitarists are playing at once during the wild rave-up at the end. There's some tracks with all three on Get Up with It plus the box set documenting that era.

7 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

On Dark Magus, Gaumont shows up for Sides 3 and 4 and while Cosey is mostly on percussion while Gaumont is playing, all three guitarists are playing at once during the wild rave-up at the end. There's some tracks with all three on Get Up with It plus the box set documenting that era.

Interesting, I didn´t know that, but it´s hard anyway for me to identify guitarists, I don´t have so many guitar albums or have not played so many gigs with guitar added, mostly the rhythm sections is just piano bass drums plus the horns, that´s unsually the formats I play in. 

And as you say it. How is it with the Mingus album ? Do they play together or sometimes only two of them ? I never had the chance to hear that group, strange enough I heard Mingus live in Summer 1977, but when an autumn concert at the end of 1977 was allready advertised and it was booked to promote the album with the 3 guitarists (I think it was Corryell, Scofield and a belgish guy Catherine) but that concert was chancelled. My luck was that it was chancelled before I got a train or plan ticket to Dortmund, Germania, where it should have been. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...