What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disk Union generally has a few brand new CD's they are selling off cheap and for less than $5.00 I picked up something that looked intriguing even though I have never heard of the singer. The CD is called 'Ballads for Trane' by Joe Lee Wilson on Philology and he is backed by some top Italian musicians.

I only had time for a cursory listen but like what I heard. Anybody familiar with Joe Lee Wilson?

Just placed a pre-order for that McKusick 'Cross Section Saxes' cd that appeared on H. Tanno's latest list. That one looks sshhhhhweeeet!!! :excited:

It's even much better than sshhhhhweeeet!

A masterpiece! Superb writing, beautiful solos. One of the most underrated jazz album ever.

You'll LOVE this!

Clifford Brown - The Complete Blue Note & Pacific Jazz Recordings

James Moody - James Moody

Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie

Jimmy Smith - Rockin' The Boat

Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans - Know What I Mean? (Remastered)

Big haul from BMG. All for under $40!

Last night actually....

... as well as Lisle Ellis' new one accomanying Peter Brotzmann recored live in San Diego two years ago.

Murphy's Law no. 5,467: You will aways discover that the artist that you are now interested in (Brotzmann), will have played within easy reach just before you become interested in him/her!

Edited by Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken a strong fancy to the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet with James Moody, Kenny Barron, Chris White, and Rudy Collins. I heard this group live at the Ohio Valley Jazz Festival in 1963. This week I had that group's Dizzy for President and Jambo Caribe delivered. I already had two other CD's by that quintet.

Yesterday I ordered from an Amazon seller Jimmy Smith's House Party in the original CD version rather than the RVG. That is to go with the same edition I have of The Sermon.

Those will keep me busy for a while.

Tom

Just received from BMG:

Freddie Hubbard - "Ready for Freddie" & "Hub Cap" (RVGs)

Lee Morgan - "The Sixth Sense" (RVG)

Art Blakey - "Indestructable" (RVG)

Chick Corea - "Light as a Feather" (although I thought I was getting the 2CD version)

Jefferson Airplane - "Volunteers" (remastered)

Brian Wilson's SMILE as a birthday present for a friend, along with a $16 used copy of this long-sought item:

c5037129b95.jpg

This puppy currently goes from $80-$200 on Amazon Marketplace. Damn! :excited: Not that I'm ever gonna ditch it... I've had the single-disc STEPPIN' OUT for years and have wanted the complete shebang for many moons.