What music did you buy today?

tonym

1a_7.JPG8d_7.JPGa1_7.JPG14_7.JPG

I love Art Pepper and finally picked up his Village Vanguard dates. I had the Complete Village Vanguard box set a couple years ago but it was a bit too much and a bit too repetitive for me so I ended up selling it. The music is great, but I think a smaller dose without the repetition will be a lot easier to digest.

Whow .............. I only have one !! :blush:

Keep swinging

Durium

:crazy:

Time to consider 3 more! ;)^_^

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Dolphy: Here and There

Siegfried Kessler Trio (Barre Phillips/Steve McCall): Live at the "Gill's Club"

-Nice to hear some Dolphy I hadn't run into before--and more material from the Five Spot gigs is always good, although it's unfortunate how the form disappears right at Booker Little's solo on Stratus Seeking (beautiful composition, executed better elsewhere--but hey, there are things to enjoy...).

-The Kessler is a phenomenal duo recording, from a prime vintage (the English scene, of which Phillips was a part, bustling with creativity, Europe and America on the verge of massive creative changes--and hey, Steve McCall is here!). Eldritch, rhythmically oblique, and tremendously moody; it could be a lost ECM gem--and it certainly has that level of experimental aggression, of mystery.

Paolo Fresu, Rosso, verde, giallo e blu

Paolo Fresu, Incantemato

Paolo Fresu/ Uri Caine, things

In case you haven't noticed, i like Paolo Fresu, if you want toi get rid of CDs involving Italian musician, there's a strong chance, i'll be your man.

Edited by Van Basten II

Oliver Nelson's "Afro/American Sketches," an album I put off buying for 45 years.

Excellent album, DMP!

I finally have some free time to post my recent purchases after this past weekends journey to Boston and Newbury Comics with fellow board member JMJK. Let me know how I did?

Jackie McLean - Vertigo, 4, 5 And 6

Harold Land - The Fox

Clifford Jordan - Mosaic

Victor Feldman - The Arrival of...

Benny Golson - Gettin' With It

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan

Curtis Counce - You Get More Bounce With...

Junior Mance - At The Village Vanguard

Oliver Nelson With Joe Newman - Main Stem

Joe Newman With Frank Foster - Good 'N' Groovy

Shelly Manne and His Men - At The Blackhawk Vol. 5 ( finally the whole set!)

Art Pepper - Gettin' Together

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Duke Pearson - The Right Touch

Teddy Charles - Coolin'

Phineas Newborn - The World of Piano!

Barney Kessel - To Swing Or Not To Swing

Joe Henderson - Our Thing

Edited by Tom 1960

Beth Orton, COMFORT OF STRANGERS

Dave Brubeck, JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF NEW YORK CITY and JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF EURASIA.

Archie Shepp/Horace Parlan, REUNION

...and the Bee Gees' 1ST as a present for my wife.

I predict you're going to be happy with Jazz Impressions of Eurasia. :)

Oliver Nelson's "Afro/American Sketches," an album I put off buying for 45 years.

Excellent album, DMP!

I finally have some free time to post my recent purchases after this past weekends journey to Boston and Newbury Comics with fellow board member JMJK. Let me know how I did?

Jackie McLean - Vertigo, 4, 5 And 6

Harold Land - The Fox

Clifford Jordan - Mosaic

Victor Feldman - The Arrival of...

Benny Golson - Gettin' With It

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan

Curtis Counce - You Get More Bounce With...

Junior Mance - At The Village Vanguard

Oliver Nelson With Joe Newman - Main Stem

Joe Newman With Frank Foster - Good 'N' Groovy

Shelly Manne and His Men - At The Blackhawk Vol. 5 ( finally the whole set!)

Art Pepper - Gettin' Together

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Duke Pearson - The Right Touch

Teddy Charles - Coolin'

Phineas Newborn - The World of Piano!

Barney Kessel - To Swing Or Not To Swing

Joe Henderson - Our Thing

Looks like you did pretty well, Tom. I only have about half of these, but I've listened to the Land, Jordan, Counce, and Newman recently - sure you'll enjoy those. I have good memories of the Pepper and the Newborn, but it's been some time since I listened. Keep meaning to pick up Vertigo & Coolin' while they're still around. Believe Coolin' is oop - glad you got a copy. You have a lot of good listening ahead of you.

Dave Brubeck, JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF NEW YORK CITY and JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF EURASIA.

Bee Gees 1st is a great album. :wub:

It sure is; we listened to it twice last night. I was familiar with "New York Mining Disaster" and knew "To Love Somebody" through Nina Simone's version, but the rest was new to me. A lot of blatant Revolver-era Beatles influence, but it's good such influence.

And another :tup for Oliver Nelson's AFRO-AMERICAN SKETCHES (75th anniversary of his birthday is coming up, btw.)

Edited by ghost of miles

Bee Gees 1st is a great album. :wub:

It sure is; we listened to it twice last night. I was familiar with "New York Mining Disaster" and knew "To Love Somebody" through Nina Simone's version, but the rest was new to me. A lot of blatant Revolver-era Beatles influence, but it's good such influence.

And another :tup for Oliver Nelson's AFRO-AMERICAN SKETCHES (75th anniversary of his birthday is coming up, btw.)

How Please Read Me :wub: didn't become a no. 1 hit, I'll never know.

Well, I had an enjoyable few days in Paris a couple of weeks ago, mainly looking for African music. But, as I got into Paris at 7 AM, I had to kill a couple of hours before the hotel room was ready. So I decided to browse in Virgin, Barbes, rather than fall asleep in a café, and found this:

th_44635_TMP40_Rhoda_Scott_Very_saxy_122_453lo.JPG

Fairly expensive at 26 Euro, but not bad for a 2 CD set. And I’d been looking vainly for this on the web, so I wasn’t in any mood to quibble. Ricky Ford is absolutely sensational on this!

The next day, I hit the African shops in the Goutte d’Or. CDs first – all of these were 10 Euro!

th_44685_TMP41_Sekou_Bembeya_9_Sona_Diabate_Hadja_Aminata_Sylla_122_1156lo.JPG

Diamond Fingers’ first album as a leader. Wow! What a great one, too!

th_44722_TMP42_Papa_4_Kandia_Kouyate_OUA_122_959lo.JPG

This is probably the first recording of Kandia Kouyate, whose recent recordings “Kita Kan” and “Biriko” have been pretty popular in the West.

th_44639_TMP43_Awa_Maiga_On_est_ensemble_122_782lo.JPG

This was the first of a number of albums from the Cote d’Ivoire that I bought. I had one of Awa Maiga’s earlier albums already and this doesn’t disappoint.

th_44733_TMP44_Monique_Seka_Yelele_122_1077lo.JPG

Another lady from Cote d’Ivoire. Good tenor sax work from Allen Hoist on this one.

th_44649_TMP45_Magic_System_Premiere_gaou_7_Papito_122_498lo.JPG

More Ivorien stuff. I already had “Premiere Gaou” on a K7. This edition also has the group’s first album, “Papito” on it, as well as a CD of remixes and duets with others.

th_44743_TMP46_Gnonnas_Pedro_Agbadja_122_559lo.JPG

Gnonnas is well known from his work with Africando. Good Afro-Salsa stuff.

Now on to the more expensive CDs – 13 Euros each

th_44709_TMP47_Fallou_Dieng_Feuk_Dieuf_122_638lo.JPG

Fallou is one of my Malax favourites. This is his latest album.

th_44747_TMP48_Coumba_Gawlo_Dieureudieuf_122_676lo.JPG

The gorgeous Coumba is another great Mbalax singer. This is her latest.

th_44664_TMP49_Viviane_2_Freres_122_549lo.JPG

This one from Viviane is very much a Hip Hop release with a load of different rappers guesting.

I think I'm trying to post too much in one post. Continued...

MG

th_44756_TMP50_Fallou_Dieng_Li_cii_jamono_122_509lo.JPG

A 2004 album from Fallou, produced by Lampe Fall Productions, where I bought most of these albums.

th_44674_TMP51_Coumba_Gawlo_Deweneti_show_122_991lo.JPG

A 2004 album from Coumba. Very nice indeed.

th_44766_TMP52_Ouza_6_heures_122_991lo.JPG

Ouza is my all time favourite musician (with Grant Green), so this is obviously on my all time list!

th_44681_TMP53_Magic_System_Poisson_d75avril_122_1171lo.JPG

The third Magic System album – now I have them all! Each is better than the one before.

th_44771_TMP54_Sekouba_Bambino_Can_history_122_351lo.JPG

A great album by the most popular singer in Guinea. You can actually buy this one on the web, but the price is a lot more than 13 Euros.

Now on to the K7s, at 3 Euro each!

First the Senegalese Mbalax material.

th_44739_TMP55_Fatou_Laobe_Homage_a_Ndongo_Lo_122_997lo.JPG

Fatou has a fabulous voice.

th_44778_TMP56_Mamadou_Maiga_Phenomene_122_1109lo.JPG

Mamadou was one of the original lead singers of Super Diamono, and I think the best of them.

th_44694_TMP57_Ablaye_Mbaye_Maag_na_122_582lo.JPG

Ablaye was featured a lot in the 90s with Youssou Ndour. This is his fourth album and the best – it’s one of the most beautiful Mbalax albums I’ve heard.

th_44787_TMP59_Assane_Ndiaye_Immigre_122_828lo.JPG th_44792_TMP60_Assane_Ndiaye_Xarit_122_773lo.JPG

Assane Ndiaye began his career with Thione Seck but is now one of the most popular young singers in Senegal. He sings like an angel.

MG

th_44702_TMP58_Nder_Courage_122_406lo.JPG

Alioune Mbaye, dit Nder, began his career with Lemzo Diamono. He’s never made a bad album.

th_44707_TMP61_Youssou_Ndour_Sant_122_483lo.JPG

I think this is the original issue of Youssou’s East/West album “Egypt”, on his own label Jololi.

th_44797_TMP62_Ouza_Baaye_122_439lo.JPG

An interesting album from Ouza – the first on which he’s incorporated a rapper.

th_44713_TMP63_Super_Diamono_Myamba_122_365lo.JPG

Haven’t got around to hearing this yet.

th_44803_TMP64_Viviane_Fee_122_494lo.JPGth_44719_TMP65_Viviane_Man_diarra_122_588lo.JPG

These two are more conventional Mbalax albums from the latest Senegalese sweetheart of Mbalax.

Now on to Djeliya material from Guinea & Senegal

th_44639_TMP66_Sayon_Camara_Saramaya_122_843lo.JPG

This is slightly disappointing compred to her first album, but it’s a good average.

th_44776_TMP67_Djeour_Cissokho_Guisna_122_1096lo.JPG

Djeuor is the son of the great classical kora player Soundioulou Cissokho and plays a slightly Mbalax-influenced kind of Djeliya.

th_44815_TMP68_Ibro_Diabate_Kere_Wali_Gbaka_122_626lo.JPG

Ibro Diabate is another of my firm favourites – a very soulful voice.

th_44786_TMP69_Djeli_Fode_Kouyate_Sorombaya_122_536lo.JPG

This is the Guinean Fode Kouyate (as opposed to the Malian one of that name, who’s dead).

MG

Now some Serahule Blues from Mali. Haven’t listened to any of these yet. Ganda Fadiga is the nearet I ever get to buying rural blues!

th_44741_TMP71_Ganda_Fadiga_Alah_kouya_vol_1_122_606lo.JPG th_44831_TMP72__Ganda_Fadiga_Alah_kouya_vol_2_122_861lo.JPG

th_44747_TMP73__Ganda_Fadiga_Oumarou_Camara_vol_1_122_468lo.JPG

And when I got back home, there were two Sonny Stitt’s waiting for me from Amazon.fr (as if I didn’t already have enough Stitt).

th_44666_TMP74_Sonny_Stitt_Move_on_over_122_359lo.JPGth_44753_TMP75_Jackson_3_Stitt_In_the_beginning_122_729lo.JPG

So I shan’t go short of new things to play!

MG