What music did you buy today?

tonym

314HMGPH2RL._AA240_.jpg

Found it for 400 bucks. Man it seems that all the boxsets i look for are finding their way on used CD stores. Found two weeks ago Miles Davis Prestige, the Komeda set. Lately i had to pass on a Monk Riverside boxset. And i now i find this baby.

Edited by Van Basten II

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it for 400 bucks. Man it seems that all the boxsets i look for are finding their way on used CD store. Found two weeks ago Miles Davis Prestige, the Komeda set. Lately i had to pass on a Monk Riverside boxset. And i now i find this baby.

:rfr

Wadn't gonna buy anything, I told myself, but looked in anyway at Harvard Square's used-joint "Planet Records" on Sunday. I ended up buying:

The Sonny Criss Orchestra - Sonny's Dream (The Birth of the Cool) (Prestige/OJC) :tup:tup:tup

Johnny Griffin's Studio Jazz Party (Riverside/OJC) :tup

Sal Salvador - Frivolous Sal ( Bethlehem/TOJC) :tup:tup

Never even heard of that Salvador side before. It's not even listed on Allmusic.com, but it's got some sweet Eddie Costa on both piano and vibes. Based on a single audition, I think I like it better than the Blue Note Salvador/Costa recordings (which I do like quite a bit).

Found used yesterday:

Billy Bauer-Plectrist

Steve Lacy/Mal Wladron-Hot House

All for under $13 :tup:tup

:tup Both look interesting... especially the Waldron/Lacy duo. If you haven't already seen it, there's lots of good discussion on that topic here.

My recent purchases:

Dave Holland Quartet - Conference of the Birds (ECM)

Billy Bang Quintet Featuring Frank Lowe - Above and Beyond: An Evening in Grand Rapids (Justin Time)

Four from the "Free America" series:

Roswell Rudd

Dave Burrell - After Love

Clifford Thornton - The Panther and the Lash

Frank Wright - Uhuru Na Umoja

And lastly, from EMusic: Fred Anderson & Hamid Drake - From the River to the Ocean.

It's be an outstanding week for new music at my house! :tup

Just got Billy Bauer's Plectrist myself, along with Andrew Hill's Compulsion!!!!! and Change.

All three ordered from Walmart.com, of all retailers. The last place on the internet to have a new copy of Plectrist at the suggested retail price. I got their very last copy, BTW!

Hopefully my first and last order from them.

Went a little nuts when I discovered one of the Amazon sellers was having a lot of OJCs for $4 - $7.50 a pop.

Got:

James Moody - Wail Moody Wail

Doug Watkins - Soulnik

Wilbur Ware - The Chicago Sound

Kenny Burrell - All Night Long

Kenny Dorham - 2 Horns 2 Rhythms

Kenny Drew - This is New

George Cables - Cables Vision

Buck Clayton - Buck and Buddy

James Clay - A Double Dose of Soul

Eric Kloss and the Rhythm Section

Frank Strozier - Long Night/March of the Siamese Children

Paul Horn - Something Blue

Eddie LockJaw Davis - Afro Jaws; Jawbreakers

Clifford Jordan - Bearcat

Gene Ammons - Preachin'

Eddie Davis and Tommy Flanagan - Straight Ahead

Phil Woods and Donald Byrd - The Young Blood

Sam Jones - Soul Society; Down Home

Jerome Richardson - Midnight Oil; Roamin with Richardson

Kenny Burrell - All Day Long

Joe Farrell- Sonic Text

Introducing Red Mitchell

Edited by Stefan Wood

Found it for 400 bucks. Man it seems that all the boxsets i look for are finding their way on used CD store. Found two weeks ago Miles Davis Prestige, the Komeda set. Lately i had to pass on a Monk Riverside boxset. And i now i find this baby.

:rfr

$400 is a very good price for that set these days.

Joshua Rifkin: Piano Rags by Scott Joplin, Volumes 1 & 2. Vinyl for $.50. I had no ragtime to speack of in my collection so this seemed like a worthy addition. There's the occasional annoying "tick", but the Lp is otherwise in good condition. As for the music-I like solo piano and am hoping to gain a greater appreciation of Scott Joplin.

Woody Herman: Woody's Winners. Vinyl @$.25 . I've seen reviews that encouraged me to take the plunge. I'm fond of Bill Chase and this album features him prominently.

Bruce Springstein and The E-Street Band Live- 3 Cassettes @ $1.00

Bill Cosby: Wonderfulness. Condition: Marginal. Do I care? This is strictly a cheap exercise in nostalgia for some routines that cracked me up when I was a kid.

Original Cast: Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living In Paris. I have a very beat vinyl copy so this is a welcome replacement via Ebay.

Peace,

Jeff T :w

Found a few decent records in the bins today...

Archie Shepp and Philly Joe Jones (Fantasy)

Pharoah Sanders - Live at the East (Impulse)

Pharoah Sanders - Village of the Pharoahs (Impulse)

Anthony Braxton - Duets 1976 (Arista)

Anthony Braxton - Creative Orchestra Music 1976 (Arista)