tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Duke in mind Moroni, Dado Jazz Connaisseur 1994

The way I am Moroni, Dado Jazz Connaisseur 1994

A touch of swing Alderighi, Paolo Jazz Connaisseur 2007

1907-1990, The Giant of Stride Piano In Switzerland Turner, Joe Jazz Connaisseur 1950 (50-59)

from puppyjazz.com

Dutch Jazz Orchestra: Plays The Music Of Rob Madna (Challenge)

5 cd box set with compositions and/or arrangements by Dutch pianist Rob Madna as well a trio set

Various Artists: Jazz Celebration - A Tribute To Carl Jefferson (Concord)

4 cd box set containing the complete 1995 concert at the Concord Pavilion held in memory of Carl Jefferson by over 80 Concord Record artists playing for free

A few goodies at Waterloo yesterday:

Jon Hassell - Surgeon of the Nightsky

Jon Hassell/Brian Eno - Possible Musics

Mick Karn - Titles

Masada - Sanhedrin

Marc Ribot - Rootless Cosmopolitans

Wadada Leo Smith - Procession of the Great Ancestry

David Sylvian - Blemish

Over the last week I acquired-

The Freddie Hubbard Woody Shaw sessions (Blue Note 2cd)

Bobby Hutcherson: Components

Art Pepper: Live At The Village Vanguard (Contemporary 9CD Box Set)

Gene Harris Quartet: A Little Bit of Heaven

Joanne Brackeen: A Breath of Brazil

Stan Getz: Sweet Rain

the first two at $16.99 and $8.99 (Euclid Records) and the Art Pepper for $12. 58(Second Spin).

I remembered some of the Hubbard-Shaw sessions from the early 80s when they were originally issued. The results are mixed in terms of quality. I find if I lay aside as much of my preconceptions as possible about what a meeting of two stars on an instrument should sound like, that it's a really fine set at times-see Boperation, Sandu and the other bebop oriented numbers- and at others a little "flat". I'll continue to listen to see how it grows on me as these two are obviously two of my favorite trumpeters.

Gene Harris Quartet: A Little Bit of Heaven. Vastly entertaining and could easily be an excellent point of entry for those unfamiliar with his work. For "veteran" fans it makes for a lovely artifact of Gene and his group in concert. I heard this lineup at The Black Hawk in Chicago and have never forgotten how much sheer pleasure it gave me. This is as good as it gets.

Art Pepper: Live At The Village Vanguard. I'm on Cd 1 of 9. That's a lot of Pepper but I'm going to take it piecemeal. Personally, I like hearing entire sets-it gives an authentic context to the event. The most extreme example (in my experience) is The Mahavishnu Orchestra's Between Nothingness and Eternity. For a group of us lucky enough to be there we felt that the real "stars" were Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham, while the album focuses more on John McLaughlin's vehicles. The concert as issued was not the same concert that occurred. Here we have a highly committed and focused Pepper, determined to "make history" (his words as he kicked off the initial set) in his own humble way. So far, that means exposing his emotions and influences in as intensely a manner as possible.

Enough for now.

Peace,

Blue Trane