BFT 238 Discussion

Dan Gould

8 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Poindexter?

DING DING DING.

Glad I didn't have to add "ex-pat" as an additional hint.

And now I realize Jim thought this was a game of Concentration and provided a photo of a pony.  I think I would have gone with this instead.

So both of you get credit.

30c5cab7-20f1-4493-90e3-9a952798020a_tex

or for the full Concentration effort we'd have

shetland-pony-400x531.jpg

+

poindexter_smiling_and_giving_thumbs_up_

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Hints:

Track 5:  The earliest recording by either of the musicians was 1981, per discogs.

Track 6/Track 10: I stated that one soloist is repeated on the test and these are the two tracks.

Track 8:  Buddy Tate's backing band ain't 'merican.

Not sure if more to come, but there's a start. 

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I think that #13 is Charles Williams? 

CORRECT. And his discography is sparse enough to make it pretty easy to find the tune and the recording.

Edited by Dan Gould

Finally got to this one! My thoughts, as I listened, are below...

Track 1 - Loving the groove right off the bat. The head sounds really familiar, like a cover of a pop tune? Can't place it though. And the scream! That's the icing on the cake. :D I'm particularly digging the drummer, love that loose, light, nimble feeling. Groovin! This alto solo is right in the pocket, but maybe a little too flash and not enough substance for me. The trumpet solo is reaching me more. And the trombone solo, yes! Fantastic sound. I also really like the pianist's approach. Funky! Was not expecting a scat solo, but this is fun! Overall a nice track, kind of left me with a Jazz Crusaders feeling.

Track 2 - Solid groove, kind of an interesting head. The pianist is sticking out to me right away, in a good way. Great feel. Damn, I wanna hear more from that bari player! And five stars for the piano solo. Solid 2 and 4 from the drummer, really nailing it. There are some great moments here but the arrangement and all the back and forth with the horns isn't doing it for me... feels a bit too formal and kind of forced. It's too bad because I really would love to hear more of the bari and the pianist especially, in a different context. This one just veered over the edge for me, from substantial to "a bit too fussy."

Track 3 - Not loving the setting on this one, not sure it's for me. A bit too polite again. But the alto and trombone solos almost save it for me. I wish the rhythm section could loosen up a bit. Just not my bag.

Track 4 - Straight away I love the feel, great rhythm section here and completely the opposite of the last track, to me. The tenor player gets points for the "Stranger in Paradise" quote. And a great solo! I love the little scoop here and there on the high notes, kind of reminiscent of Clifford Jordan to me. Whoever this is, they're cookin! I like when it gets dirtier. :) And a nice piano solo with a few surprising moves. Excellent bass solo and a great sound too. Solid fours with the drummer. Really like this track.

Track 5 - Damn, it's killing me that I can't remember the name of this tune. The trumpet player certainly sounds like a student of Clark Terry. This is a good thing! It's tough to pull off a duo performance like this and keep the feel happening-- it is definitely happening here. This grooves. Super impressive chops from the pianist, but even more importantly, the feel is there! Great playing all around, love this!

Track 6 - I just LOVE the way this starts off. That held note in the trumpet with the rhythm section sizzling along underneath. What an example of great time! Keys, bass, and drums are killing it, and making it sound effortless. Every solo here is a keeper, and again I'm a sucker for a great bari player. This is flawless. Love it! It's tasty, grooving, thoughtful, and there's space in it.

Track 7 - Can't tell if it's the recording quality that's partly making this one a little challenging to assess. I dig the flamboyance of the organist. Not sure about the drummer yet, a bit machine-like. Bone & guitar sound good on the head but solo-wise there's not as much going on that interests me. Oooh, but I do love the tiny bit of wah on the guitar. Bonus points for that. Actually the bone solo does get a bit more interesting as we go. Feeling the groove a little more too. Nice track.

Track 8 - Now's the Time, of course! The rhythm section is not selling me, but the tenor player is trying (and succeeding) at compensating for the uptight-ness. Burnin! Alto player has the sound but can't reach the heights of the tenor solo, for me, anyway. OK, the drummer is really driving me a little crazy. Trumpet solo not hitting it for me either. Sadly this one is just not doing it for me, despite the fantastic tenorist. They deserve a better band!

Track 9 - Intrigued by those big blocky chords at the start. Oh, this is My Little Suede Shoes, right? So that's 2 Bird tunes in a row. Once again the tenor player is an early standout for me here. I like the feel on this, a bit Elvin-y. Enjoyed the trumpet solo, and the piano solo even moreso. Good stuff, I liked this track.

Track 10 - Groovin' High... so we are in full bop mode at this point! Not sure I'm on board with the alto player, but I do like the overall feel of the group. Nice piano solo, and the rhythm section are definitely responding more to this solo than to the alto. Great drumming. There was something in there that made me think Alphonse Mouzon, of all people. That is probably a crazy guess though. Overall would love to hear what this trio does when the altoist goes to take a smoke break. I'm sure I will regret this comment. :D

Track 11 - A Night in Tunisia... so... 2 Birds / 2 Diz, for all those keeping score at home. I kinda like the slower tempo on this. Enjoyed the piano solo, and the bass solo-- bassist sounds a bit in the Niels Pedersen camp, very fluid. Overall a well executed track that was nice but maybe didn't get fully off the ground for me.

Track 12 - Boy the production on this one is interesting! Could we have any more reverb on the tenor?? Haha. Once again memory is failing me on the name of this tune. I do like the tenor solo a lot. This is a groover. Guitar solo, thumbs up, less sure about the organ due mostly to the sound. A fun track overall.

Track 13 - Now this is beautiful. Wow. I mean... I don't even like Misty very much but this is outstanding. To take a tune that has been done so many times and make it sound like this? Absolutely stunning. This is so good, it sounds like the music is playing itself, and that's not to downplay the role of the musicians-- quite the opposite. It takes phenomenal musicians to channel something that is "greater" so to speak.

Thanks Dan! Not all hits for me, but there are many I enjoyed, and I look forward to the reveal. And now I'll go back and see if any of these have already been ID'd...

14 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Track 13 - Now this is beautiful. Wow. I mean... I don't even like Misty very much but this is outstanding. To take a tune that has been done so many times and make it sound like this? Absolutely stunning. This is so good, it sounds like the music is playing itself, and that's not to downplay the role of the musicians-- quite the opposite. It takes phenomenal musicians to channel something that is "greater" so to speak.

Phenomenal how your comments totally nailed the "story" of this recording per the liner notes. I mean, you basically say the exact same thing as I will be quoting from the liners when I do the reveal.  And, I like Misty even less ... but this performance required inclusion.

Thanks very much Tim for your in depth thoughts - glad so many tunes did appeal.  I can only program so many Felsers so the odds of 13 out of 13 were pretty slim.   :g:g:g

Edited by Dan Gould

Listening to complete my comments/guesses.

Track 6: Opening drum roll sounds very Blakey-ish. I thought about Donald Byrd / Pepper Adams, but .... Nice. I would listen to more from that group.

Track 7: Very interesting, heavy groove, trombone in an organ combo. No idea who this is.

Track 8: Bird's "Now's the time". I like it a bit slower. I know that tenor player. A bit of Ammons, but too many slurs for him. Fun jam session, they definitely have a good time. But I am no good at identifying players anymore as I do not listen to jazz that much currently. 

Track 9: Another old Calypso-type tune. Again it looses its charm when played that fast and just used for running the changes. The title escapes me, but I have a much slower version that is downright cute.

Track 10. Dizzy Atmosphere? You seem to love versions that raise the tempo! Another loss in charm. All comptetent players, but all racing like the are on cocaine.

Track 11: Night In Tunisia. Now here's someone taking his time! He knows how to play the break! Some clever quotes, literally and stylistically, in the solo. He knows the history of jazz piano. Who is this? 

Track 12: Okay, this, too, looses the charm of the original, but I kinda like this approach here. Again traces of Ammons. Title escapes me right now.

Track 12: Misty - with feeling. That's a very nice closer.

Thanks for the compilation. Without these BFTs I would listen to much less jazz right now. Too much music to listen to, too little time.

11 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Listening to complete my comments/guesses.

Track 6: Opening drum roll sounds very Blakey-ish. I thought about Donald Byrd / Pepper Adams, but .... Nice. I would listen to more from that group.

Track 7: Very interesting, heavy groove, trombone in an organ combo. No idea who this is.

Track 8: Bird's "Now's the time". I like it a bit slower. I know that tenor player. A bit of Ammons, but too many slurs for him. Fun jam session, they definitely have a good time. But I am no good at identifying players anymore as I do not listen to jazz that much currently. 

Track 9: Another old Calypso-type tune. Again it looses its charm when played that fast and just used for running the changes. The title escapes me, but I have a much slower version that is downright cute.

Track 10. Dizzy Atmosphere? You seem to love versions that raise the tempo! Another loss in charm. All comptetent players, but all racing like the are on cocaine.

Track 11: Night In Tunisia. Now here's someone taking his time! He knows how to play the break! Some clever quotes, literally and stylistically, in the solo. He knows the history of jazz piano. Who is this? 

Track 12: Okay, this, too, looses the charm of the original, but I kinda like this approach here. Again traces of Ammons. Title escapes me right now.

Track 12: Misty - with feeling. That's a very nice closer.

Thanks for the compilation. Without these BFTs I would listen to much less jazz right now. Too much music to listen to, too little time.

Thanks for coming back to this Mike.

Glad you liked Tracks 11 and 13!

• 3 weeks later...