Phil Kelly - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

Phil Kelly, who used to post pretty regularly on the old Jazz Corner forums, has died. Phil had a 40 year career as a composer/ arranger for film & TV (including over 700 national TV commercials). He started up a big band when he retired as a hobby. Phil & I conversed every now & then on the JC forums and at one point, Phil sent me two of his big band recordings, "Convergence Zone" & "Ballad of the Bouncing Beagles", both on the Origin label. I have enjoyed them for many years.

82549.jpg82417.jpg

https://www.sigsfuneralservices.com/obituaries/phillip-kelly

Had occasion to play some of his charts at NT, as well as hear various anecdotes about him from fellow Dallas Jingle Rat Dave Zoller.

Guys like that...so much musical knowledge. If you didn't learn somethings from them, it was on you. 

RIP SGUD Missile, and thanks for insisting that I not stop at Nelson Riddle, to go back to Robert Farnon. I did, and am the richer for it. 

19 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ah, I remember that handle -- he posted here somewhat as well, I think. RIP.

Yes and the link in the first post opens to a headshot that definitely stirs up memories of his contributions here.  Thanks to Bresna for letting us know and condolences to his family and friends and all here who interacted with him.

Amazon Music streaming has the two albums pictured above as well as one other one he mentioned here, My Museum.  There's also three by the Hughes Smith quintet with Phil Kelly.  I'm guessing it's our Phil Kelly.  RIP and props.

Edited by randyhersom