Grant Green: 1965 St. Louis Post Dispatch interview with father John Green

monkboughtlunch

I could read only excerpts from it, but had to laugh about "English Boys with long hair" . Maybe his father was referring to the album, where Grant Green plays the Beatles Song "I wanna hold your hand" (one of the tracks that Serena likes, and doesn´t slam the door 😄

Sure many fathers of famous jazz musicians were proud of their sons, but it must have meant suffering also when they learned, that their boys all were hooked. 

How must it have been for Woody Shaw´s father (I had heard he had such a wonderful family) to have his son dead so early, or Bud Powell´s father who refused to talk about anything else about his son than the old days when he was a wonderchild kid. 
Grant Green also died very early, and his records from the late 60´s on didn´t have the musical quality of his mid sixties records......
I must say, that I don´t know anything about Grant Green´s live. He recorded so much, but I don´t even think that as a jazz master of the 60´s he was as popular as other BN artists like Hubbard, Wayne , Hancock, Tony Williams etc. .