Herbie Hancock and Bobby Hutcherson

Milestones

Lately I've been going through a lot of Herbie Hancock, as both leader and sideman, in my collection.   Some of the most notable recordings are three Blue Note albums by Hutcherson, with Happenings and Oblique in quartet format.  Naturally, Hancock is featured prominently, and he provides absolutely superb playing--from delicate lyricism to being pretty damned  out on "Oblique" and "Bi-Sectional."  

This is just about the best stuff you can hear in this format, virtually on a par with MJQ--bearing in mind that this group sounds nothing like MJQ.   Or we can just look at these records as some of the most essential work of Hutcherson and Hancock--individually and together.

Unfortunately, the two musicians seemingly got together very rarely in later years.

Unless there are some things you can point to.

Edited by Milestones

Can't think of one more but must say that you're very right about the magic between these two. Very much looking forward to the Happenings reissue on the Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series. 

On 2/3/2024 at 9:17 PM, Milestones said:

Yes, but I think Bobby was only on 3-4 tracks.

They were also together for the relaunch of Blue Note--"Town Hall: One Night with Blue Note."

The version of Bouquet from this session is exceptional.

Hutcherson and Hancock also cross paths on:

Lee Morgan's The Procrastinator (1967)

Hutcherson's Components (1965),

The single trac "Memory" on Tony Williams' LIfetime (1964)

The duet track "Maiden Voyage" on Jazz at the Opera House (1982)

There are two concert videos that I know of that circulate on YouTube with both players in the group -- one from Japan in 1987, the other other from Antibes in 2003. 

I think there are a couple of stray duet tracks on the two Round Midnight records on Columbia and Blue Note but my memory is hazy here. 

There are also bootleg recordings of Hancock & Hutcherson performing at the Barbican in London.  I don't recall the year.  Scott Colley is on bass, and I've forgotten the drummer.  Al Foster maybe?  . . .  Amazing music.  Whenever I listen, I'm shocked that the recording has never been issued officially.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:49 AM, Milestones said:

This is just about the best stuff you can hear in this format, virtually on a par with MJQ--bearing in mind that this group sounds nothing like MJQ.   Or we can just look at these records as some of the most essential work of Hutcherson and Hancock--individually and together.

Yeah, I think so.  Both Happenings and Oblique are out-of-this-world.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:47 AM, Mark Stryker said:

Lee Morgan's The Procrastinator (1967)

Morgan and Wayne and Herbie and Hutch together.  Yes, please!

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

There are also bootleg recordings of Hancock & Hutcherson performing at the Barbican in London.  I don't recall the year.  Scott Colley is on bass, and I've forgotten the drummer.  Al Foster maybe?  . . .  Amazing music.  Whenever I listen, I'm shocked that the recording has never been issued officially.

Wow, how did I miss that gig?