WDR-WTF?

sgcim

The WDR big band recently released a concert they had performed in 2022 under the Phil Woods Legacy title on You Tube that had some meticulous readings of PW's big band arr's that put to shame the US PW Memorial concert held in PA, a year or so after PW performed. Apparently PW revised a lot of his charts, and they somehow got copies of the revisions and performed them very well with stylistic solos that showed they had some knowledge of PW's style.

So I  wrote a highly complimentary post mentioning the above,along with the statement that there had been too few tributes to PW, and their's was certainly the finest I was aware of, etc...

I didn't think much of it until I got an email yesterday from You Tube saying that WDR had responded to my effusive review. I figured they were thanking me for my positive review, but the first words were "I wonder if a review like this belongs here due to its negative flavor. The statement that only a German band and a US band were the only tributes to PW gives a misleading representation of the response to the PW Legacy."

I started writing a response apologizing for giving them such a positive review on their concert, and that I'd be glad to delete my praise of their concert, and added the fact that Wynton Marsalis had publicly put down PW over a mic on a jazz cruise that his daughter had attended, and was forced to retract his statement over said mic when he came back from his break.

I also added the fact that Oliver Nelson had received several death threats from his big band when he decided to feature PW on lead alto and give him the majority of alto solos in their concerts. I then deleted the first post I made, and all of a sudden, someone erased the entire two posts that both I and they had made on the subject!

WTF, WDR?!

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

What do they want?

LOL! Here's the post they made:

WDR BIG BAND
"Does this really belong here? It would be desirable if there were many more different ways of engaging with PW's music. But your objection that one German band and only one American band is dedicated to PW's music doesn't change the situation and gives a negative flavor."

Do you understand what the MFs are trying to say?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Maybe they thought that you were saying that the material was inferior because it was not widely played?

But jeez, that's kind of a reach... 

Yeah, but they were perfectly happy with ejumacated responses like, "Duh, that's some really swingin' stuff there I tells ya!" etc...

I keep forgetting I'm on the interwebz, where no one understands what anyone sez...

16 hours ago, sgcim said:

The WDR big band recently released a concert they had performed in 2022 under the Phil Woods Legacy title on You Tube that had some meticulous readings of PW's big band arr's that put to shame the US PW Memorial concert held in PA, a year or so after PW performed. Apparently PW revised a lot of his charts, and they somehow got copies of the revisions and performed them very well with stylistic solos that showed they had some knowledge of PW's style.

So I  wrote a highly complimentary post mentioning the above,along with the statement that there had been too few tributes to PW, and their's was certainly the finest I was aware of, etc...

I didn't think much of it until I got an email yesterday from You Tube saying that WDR had responded to my effusive review. I figured they were thanking me for my positive review, but the first words were "I wonder if a review like this belongs here due to its negative flavor. The statement that only a German band and a US band were the only tributes to PW gives a misleading representation of the response to the PW Legacy."

I started writing a response apologizing for giving them such a positive review on their concert, and that I'd be glad to delete my praise of their concert, and added the fact that Wynton Marsalis had publicly put down PW over a mic on a jazz cruise that his daughter had attended, and was forced to retract his statement over said mic when he came back from his break.

I also added the fact that Oliver Nelson had received several death threats from his big band when he decided to feature PW on lead alto and give him the majority of alto solos in their concerts. I then deleted the first post I made, and all of a sudden, someone erased the entire two posts that both I and they had made on the subject!

WTF, WDR?!

Interpreting the written word is tough enough without throwing in language translation. Some English words translate into multiple German words & some of those words have a completely different meaning (positive/negative) that can be lost in translation. I once wrote an Italian record label to offer my help writing English liner notes and it was not well received by them at all. I'm sure my good intentions were lost in translation.

I'd love to hear more about what Marsalis said about Phil. I know what Phil said about him & while I think it was a bit too much, Phil had some of it right i.e. an entire family should not have been granted an NEA Jazz award.  But Marsalis is one petty SOB if he came back at a dead guy for saying what a lot of people were saying at the time.

12 hours ago, sgcim said:

LOL! Here's the post they made:

WDR BIG BAND
"Does this really belong here? It would be desirable if there were many more different ways of engaging with PW's music. But your objection that one German band and only one American band is dedicated to PW's music doesn't change the situation and gives a negative flavor."

Do you understand what the MFs are trying to say?

Would you please post your original comments? It's difficult to understand their response if we don't see what they're responding to.

5 hours ago, Brad said:

That’s what I was going to say. 

They've all been deleted. Basically they were as complimentary as is humanly possible, and then mentioning how it was much superior to the one I paid $40 for and drove into another state for. I guess i should know better than to compliment anything. It's bound to be dissected, and some ulterior repercussion extracted from it.

The former German taxpayer in me thinks that it's pretty outrageous that WDR apparently has some employee answer pretty much all the YouTube comments (as can be seen under those videos)... It's not as if this was promotion for some underlying physical product or so... There's no product and they're a public institution (largest broadcasting entity in Europe after only the BBC). 

So from that perspective I am relieved that, at least, they seem to be relying on relatively cheap labor for this task, some poor soul who has to reply to hundreds of YouTube comments day in day out... What can you expect... 

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

They've all been deleted. Basically they were as complimentary as is humanly possible, and then mentioning how it was much superior to the one I paid $40 for and drove into another state for. I guess i should know better than to compliment anything. It's bound to be dissected, and some ulterior repercussion extracted from it.

I'm confused. Your say your comment was deleted (in fact, "They've all been deleted") and yet you're able to quote their response verbatim. What am I missing?

1 hour ago, sonnymax said:

I'm confused. Your say your comment was deleted (in fact, "They've all been deleted") and yet you're able to quote their response verbatim. What am I missing?

I get notifications of comments on youtube posts both to my email and on the site itself.  One would still know messages that got 'deleted' by the uploader/owner of the channel regardless of whether it is still seen or not.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I get notifications of comments on youtube posts both to my email and on the site itself.  One would still know messages that got 'deleted' by the uploader/owner of the channel regardless of whether it is still seen or not.

Yeah, I cut and pasted it from my email notification. I also cancelled my subscription to their channel.

6 hours ago, sgcim said:

That’s the culture for you today. Let no good deed go unpunished.

Edited by Brad