2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

This is from the ESPN timeline story that I posted above:

8:30 p.m. ET Monday (9:30 a.m. Tuesday in Seoul): The spokesman for the first time says Ohtani paid the debts on behalf of Mizuhara. He says Balelo, the agent, went to Mizuhara, who "finally came clean to him and said that was the truth," and that Ohtani told Balelo he had covered Mizuhara's debts in $500,000 increments. It's not clear whether the spokesman is saying Ohtani communicated with Balelo through Mizuhara.

The spokesman quotes Ohtani as saying: "'Yeah, I sent several large payments. That's the maximum amount I could send.'"

The ESPN reporter, knowing the spokesman worked for Ohtani, wants to hear it from Mizuhara. The spokesman says he will work on arranging that.

It all continues to sound strange to me, like a desperate cover up going on. Articles I’ve read always say Ohtani has no interest in other sports. So either he’s a great actor, or he’s hiding his gambling behind Mizuhara. Ask too the comment I see sometimes that he’s too rich to do something so dumb, I’d say ask Michael Jordan about that! Maybe Ohtani can play basketball in the G League for a year. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Matthew said:

It all continues to sound strange to me, like a desperate cover up going on. Articles I’ve read always say Ohtani has no interest in other sports. So either he’s a great actor, or he’s hiding his gambling behind Mizuhara. Ask too the comment I see sometimes that he’s too rich to do something so dumb, I’d say ask Michael Jordan about that! Maybe Ohtani can play basketball in the G League for a year. 

Very strange and I go back to the presumption that a guy on an $85,000 salary doesn't get a chance to run up 4.5 million in debt to a bookie and that you don't get that opportunity with draft Kings.

But you know who might have that pull, and would go to a bookie, not a recognized corporation/partner with MLB, if they want to place bets on baseball that he knows is strictly not allowed?  A super rich ballplayer.

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Very strange and I go back to the presumption that a guy on an $85,000 salary doesn't get a chance to run up 4.5 million in debt to a bookie and that you don't get that opportunity with draft Kings.

But you know who might have that pull, and would go to a bookie, not a recognized corporation/partner with MLB, if they want to place bets on baseball that he knows is strictly not allowed?  A super rich ballplayer.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

This bookie guy, when do we find out who his other clients are/were? 

Yeah, even with the Ohtani presser, there are so many questions: to run up that big of a debt, at the very beginning, some one is going to ask who is guaranteeing the money; who let's a low level employee run that big of a tab on his own? As JSngry asks, were there other athletes betting with this guy, especially among the Angels? Is that where the source came from? and was this guy the Angels bookie? His name didn't come from the yellow pages, that's for sure. Are there wiretaps and videos? MLB hopes they can turn a blind eye to this one, but I don't think so.

It still boggles the mind, the claim that "no one knew". I'm supposed to believe there was no account looking at expenses, or that one was, but was all "It's only $500,00, nine times, to somone's personal bank account, and the memo line is 'gambling debts'.... that's fine, I won't flag it!"

It's almost as if Ohtani's interpreter was speaking to him in English, that's why he didn't really understand what was going on and is a victim of "theft".

I suspect this is it for statements and "press conferences" until MLB is done "investigating".  

Great opening day win for the Yankees, defeating Houston 5-4 on the road after falling behind 4-0 in the first two innings. Juan Soto drove in NY’s first run with a single, walked twice, and made the play of the game with an outfield assist in the bottom of the 9th. Yankees looked simultaneously more relentless and more patient at the plate. Still dubious about our rotation, esp with Cole on the shelf for two months and possibly longer, but a thrilling and satisfying start to the season!

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Great opening day win for the Yankees, defeating Houston 5-4 on the road after falling behind 4-0 in the first two innings. Juan Soto drove in NY’s first run with a single, walked twice, and made the play of the game with an outfield assist in the bottom of the 9th. Yankees looked simultaneously more relentless and more patient at the plate. Still dubious about our rotation, esp with Cole on the shelf for two months and possibly longer, but a thrilling and satisfying start to the season!

Indeed .... btw the inability of management/ownership to attract quality FA's/pitchers remains a neverending story .... would be great if one (or more ....) of the dark horses (longer under club control) would establish themselves in the Yankee's rotation ....

You know I used to think, "you win on Opening Day, you're in first place."  But apparently that is wrongthink.

MLB.com lists teams that are tied in alphabetical order, and then shows this on the preview screen for the Blue Jays - Rays second game of the year.

WTH?  Also, ha ha Yankee fans, Sox are in 2nd place and Yanks in third.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 085418.jpg

Yankees sweep Houston 4-0 on the road to start off 2024. Juan Soto’s line through first four games: 9-17, 1 double, 1 HR, 4 RBI (including two game-winners), .529 BA, .600 OBP,   .765 slugging, 1.365 OPS.  And he looks absolutely overjoyed to be playing for NY. Definitely worth the haul of pitchers we gave up to get him… already seems like a night-and-day difference between 2023 and this year’s team. Judge off to a terrible start and both Yankee and Astros fans in game threads were arguing that Houston should have IBB’d Soto to face Judge instead… which sounds insane, but frankly might not have been a bad idea. Instead Soto hit a 3-2 opposite-field single off Hader for the go-ahead run. (Hader then struck out Judge to end the inning.) I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a single player have the broad kind of impact that Soto’s having on the Yankees so far… his presence and energy is infectious and seems to be affecting the entire batting order in a positive way. Still concerned about the pitching depth and players staying healthy, but couldn’t ask for a better beginning to the season.