I see there is a new book coming out about Miles, Coltrane and Evans. The only review I can find is in the Wall Street Journal by Gerald Early but since I don’t subscribe to the WSJ, I can’t read it.

Here’s the blurb from the publisher, Random House, Three Shades of Blue

2 hours ago, felser said:

How good is it?

I read it a long time ago. IIRC (and I often don't) it connects KOB to many other movements in the arts. I liked it.  BTW I really liked the first chapter of the new book which was quoted above.   Even though I've claimed I'm not going to buy any more books about either Miles or Dylan (I am  still buying nearly everything about Ellington) I'll probably get this book.  KOB has a special place in my heart. I got it from the Columbia Record Club when it was first issued and I thought that if this was jazz, I loved jazz. 

Edited by medjuck

Just now, Face of the Bass said:

Between this and the upcoming Michael Veal book, somebody needs to alert the publishing industry that we don't need more books on Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Or 1959, period. 

I think Hill probably had an interesting life that a good researcher/writer could illuminate.

I mean, what did he do when he wasn't in a studio making records? I have a down beat interview where he says he's been doing concerts in the field for the Smithsonian(?). Hmmm...tell me more? 

There's a story there, I'm sure. But it would to be written as such, not a dry replication of data. 

3 hours ago, relyles said:

I know a writer that has started doing research in order to write a Andrew Hill biography.

I hope he's able to do it! Biographies are hard, but jazz I would argue is really suffering from good biographies outside the obvious ones (Coltrane, Davis, Armstrong, Ellington, Holiday, etc.) It was great to see the Sonny Rollins bio that came out not so long ago, and the Thelonious Monk bio that Kelley wrote is fantastic. Jazz needs much more of that kind of thing. More books on Davis and Coltrane ain't it. 

14 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Can't you write them? 😃 I'd be first in the queue for both

I wish I had the requisite time and talent!  McNeill had an utterly fascinating life, studying art with Picasso, designing a USPD postage stamp for Kwaanza, and being a quite celebrated photographer and a college professor in addition to his exquisite music.