West Coast Jazz with Herbie Nichols?

Last week I went to the local art museum for what was advertised as "An Evening of West Coast Jazz". which described as follows: 

"The work of acclaimed Los Angeles-based artist Janna Ireland, currently on view at SBMA and MCASB, includes her photographic interpretation of the architecture of Paul R. Williams, the renowned 20th-century Black architect who designed many of Southern California’s iconic buildings. A gifted designer across genres, Williams transformed the face of Los Angeles, including the Beverly Hills Hotel’s Polo Lounge, the Ambassador Hotel’s Coconut Grove, and the cool jazz corridors of Central Avenue.

In a nod to those favored night spots and the music of the jazz greats, Ben Allison, Steve Cardenas, and Ted Nash perform against a backdrop of images of Williams’ mid-century Los Angeles world and photographs from Ireland’s Regarding Paul R. Williams."

I wasn't that familiar with the musicians (I had Ted Nash confused with his uncle) but it took place in a small theater/lecture hall with very good sound and I'm interested in both West Coast Jazz and West Coast architecture. 

When we entered there was one architectural photo projected on the stage's back wall.  The trio appeared and began playing Jimmy Giuffre's   "The Train and the River".  Made sense as they were a trio of sax, bass and guitar and Giuffre was a mainstay of West Coast Jazz.  I   was relieved that the photos  weren't being changed during the music and was trying to guess what they'd play next; Gerry Mulligan maybe.

Well the same photo never changed and Ted Nash announced that they were going to play something by the great unknown composer: Herbie Nichols.  They then played 3 Nichols numbers introducing each with a bit more about Nichol's biography.  

They followed that with Carla Bley's "Lawns".  (They also suggested that she was fairly unknown.), then ended the concert with a very nice piece by Jim Hall. Apparently the trio albums dedicated to each of them. 

I guess the West Coast might claim Carla Bley in that she was with Paul at the Hillcrest when they met Ornette Coleman, and that Jim Hall did spend time here and recorded for Pacific Jazz but Herbie Nichols?  

However, despite the bait and switch (maybe because of it) this was a great concert.  And I especially liked that it was presented with no amplification except for the amp of the guitar. 

Edited by medjuck

Their latest record consists of Herbie pieces he never got to record. 6 of them were in a stash the Nichols family recently uncovered. I believe it is the music that was purported to have been lost after a pipe burst per the Mosaic set. You can get the sheet music at jazzleadsheets.com

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Has anyone purchased the Allison/Cardenas/Nash CD Tell The Birds I Said Hello? Is it a real CD or a CD-R? I want to decide whether to get the CD or a download. Moments Inside was a CD-R.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

It's kind of odd. I listed it on Discogs and my review copy was a CD-R. Allison himself changed it to CD and I changed it back, as it was blue and had the typical lack of matrix / runout that manufactured CDs have. He insisted it was a CD and I disagreed, not knowing that I was talking with him (or his representative).

Here is the link to the Discogs page and the images I posted, view them and decide for yourself.

https://www.discogs.com/release/29113399-Ben-Allison-Steve-Cardenas-Ted-Nash-Tell-The-Birds-I-Said-Hello-The-Music-Of-Herbie-Nichols

One reason it makes it difference to me is that I have had some commercial CD-Rs fail completely, so I avoid them, especially buying them. Amazon is bad about sneaking in manufactured on demand CD-Rs of out of print CDs without listing them as such.

38 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

It's kind of odd. I listed it on Discogs and my review copy was a CD-R. Allison himself changed it to CD and I changed it back, as it was blue and had the typical lack of matrix / runout that manufactured CDs have. He insisted it was a CD and I disagreed, not knowing that I was talking with him (or his representative).

Here is the link to the Discogs page and the images I posted, view them and decide for yourself.

https://www.discogs.com/release/29113399-Ben-Allison-Steve-Cardenas-Ted-Nash-Tell-The-Birds-I-Said-Hello-The-Music-Of-Herbie-Nichols

One reason it makes it difference to me is that I have had some commercial CD-Rs fail completely, so I avoid them, especially buying them. Amazon is bad about sneaking in manufactured on demand CD-Rs of out of print CDs without listing them as such.

Maybe the promos/advance copies were CD-Rs.

3 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

That is exactly the problem. CDrs often fail after a short amount of time.

I know Ben but I did not want to ask him directly. My hunch was right that it is a touchy subject with artists...

Bertrand.

PS: Afterbeat was written for Archie Shepp during the time they hung together with Roswell Rudd. I bet he would get a kick out of hearing it. Can we make this happen?

Edited by bertrand

18 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

FWIW, I have 10-20 year old CD-Rs and haven't experienced any fails.

I am glad that is the case. I have never had a CD fail unless it was damaged and that usually meant heavy scratches or a cracked disc. 

23 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Seems a cd to me. Great release!

If you are on Discogs and own a CD, please add a listing for it with the image and matrix / runout. 

I don't do that sort of thing, sorry.

Right now I'm listening to:

Fay Victor and her Herbie Nichols Sung Quintet “Life is Funny That Way” 2 cd, disc 1

03c5e4da5a14e0f2cae12e82d1e49f381f2b80ea

This is certainly an intriguing release. I like it!

6ef98e38ce1bd41506043f2564fc937d540b5204

On 4/6/2024 at 6:54 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I agree with Chuck. Perhaps the promo/advance copies were CDRs. If you were in touch with Ben or his representative, perhaps this needed to be made clear before you list it in this way on disgos. 

I specifically asked him if there was a CD version before I created a Discogs listing and he told me I was sent the CD. I posted it as a CDR without making any claims as to whether a CD version was available. It was listed for reference purposes, not to sell.