David Sanborn R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I confess ignorance.  I always assumed that Sanborn was a lightweight fusion guy.  Live and learn.

RIP.

I can't say that I ever enjoyed listening to David Sanborn, but what I mainly heard was his Warner Bros. recordings, which were of zero interest to me. I remember his solo as a guest on Gordon Goodwin's arrangement of the monotonous Average White Band hit "Pickin' Up the Pieces" and singling it out as the one weak track on the CD. I do have that Legends of Jazz boxed set where he plays on a show along side Phil Woods and the anonymous liner note writer mentions Sanborn to be "considered as one of the great saxophonists of all time," while Woods easily eclipsed Sanborn's best efforts. I never did tune into Night though it sounds like I missed a few shows that would have been of interest.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:24 PM, gmonahan said:

I had exactly the same reaction, and then I realized he was only a few years older than I am.

Just realize that what he died of, prostate cancer, is pretty easy to detect and if caught early, it's usually very treatable. Any man over 45, just make you get your PSA tested every year and don't avoid the finger test (DRE) during your annual physical because it's uncomfortable.

I saw him only once, two years ago at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. It was basically a straight ahead jazz set, with an alto/trombone frontline and Geoff Keezer on keyboards.

Favorite solo by David Sanborn for me is on Billy Harper's Priestess, on the Gil Evans album of the same name.

image.jpeg.0b25f895cd2df9c12b01a986e9b31cf1.jpeg