Jazz cat recommendation

I live in a rural area and after some elderly dogs I had died, a feral cat became more evident.  I started feeding him and adopted him.  For these several months I have been using headphones to listen to music when he was in the room because in the beginning everything spooked the heck out of him.  It took some time for him to understand the operation of doors.  Sneezes sent him flying for cover.  But he is getting used to indoor things after a few months and I think it's time to introduce this cat to jazz.  Starting at somewhat low volumes.  He took some of Bud Shank's Blowin' Country in stride just now and barely looked up from his sleep.  Recommendations for a newbie cat?

He is doing alright with some Hank Jones now - Just for Fun.

003b.jpg

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

I don't think the style of music mattered much to my cat Marjorie Bouvier when she was growing up with me--it was volume that she had to get used to. I did a lot of early morning listening with her. As time went on higher volumes didn't upset her. She just wanted to be with me and would be snoozing on my lap.

Edited by jazzbo

I had a cat back at our Florida home when   was away at college. I brought home a John Coltrane Village Vanguard recording and discovered later that our cat had opened the kitchen sliding glass door, which was easy for him any time it was unlocked. After looking in the usual places, I came out to the living room and found him on the couch, all tucked under, as if he was meditating to Coltrane's music. Somewhere around I think I still have a Polaroid photo that I took of him on the couch when it happened.

Posted (edited)

Back when my dog was younger and could still hear he seemed to particularly favor a gentle waltz played on acoustic guitar and would show up and snooze whenever I played something like that.  I have been playing a bit around Freddie H. Cat and he doesn't seem to mind it.  Get's a little upset by me holding the guitar and walking around near him.  His ear is tipped and I guess he got trapped, neutered and released and gets triggered by me holding large objects above him.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

I had a (not very smart) cat who would freak out to a couple of Mingus cuts, "Cumbia & Jazz Fusion" (heard the crickets at the beginning) and "Hog Callin' Blues" (the tenor honking of Ervin and Kirk).

3 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I live in a rural area and after some elderly dogs I had died, a feral cat became more evident.  I started feeding him and adopted him.  For these several months I have been using headphones to listen to music when he was in the room because in the beginning everything spooked the heck out of him.  It took some time for him to understand the operation of doors.  Sneezes sent him flying for cover.  But he is getting used to indoor things after a few months and I think it's time to introduce this cat to jazz.  Starting at somewhat low volumes.  He took some of Bud Shank's Blowin' Country in stride just now and barely looked up from his sleep.  Recommendations for a newbie cat?

He is doing alright with some Hank Jones now - Just for Fun.

003b.jpg

What a great looking cat... Our black cat Brubeck has always been indoors but has been a little more reserved than the others we have had over the past three plus decades. Tonight he hissed and ran after the youngest cat toppled a couch cushion onto him and he generally stays put in one corner chair, though I do catch him on the couch at times in the afternoon with some of the others.

Brubeck 3-11-19.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ken Dryden said:

What a great looking cat... Our black cat Brubeck has always been indoors but has been a little more reserved than the others we have had over the past three plus decades. Tonight he hissed and ran after the youngest cat toppled a couch cushion onto him and he generally stays put in one corner chair, though I do catch him on the couch at times in the afternoon with some of the others.

Brubeck 3-11-19.jpeg

Lovely cat there!  I had cats about 50 years ago in college but this is the first after a long succession of dogs.  This one is interesting and different because he has lived on the property, probably under a shed, for at least a couple years and hunted mice, birds, lizards and what not. When he smacks something with his front paw the force is way beyond any house cats I've had.  Quite a tough cat.  He can be wonderfully tender and cuddly but I have to take care when he starts to play because he scratches the heck out of me without even trying.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Marion Brown - Vista

Will try that!

I had cats since I was a baby. As far as they feel comfortable in the living room they don’t care about music genre. One loved to sleep in front of loudspeaker, guess she liked the vibes. The major problem with cats and music IMO is that they love TTs and the suspension of the woofers has some nice scars 😁

Edited by porcy62

Can't imagine adopting a feral cat into our house. We have three barn cats (only 1 from some sort of barn cat/rescue program) and its the two invaders who very occasionally manage to kill a rat, they mostly hang around waiting to be fed.  They also know which side of their bread gets buttered - ganging up on Susan's legs and nearly tripping her when she walks to the barn at feeding time. They know the most I will do is fill their dry food bowl.

Mama kitty's last litter (and I do mean last, Susan wore long oven mitts to grab her and send her into a carrier to take her to be 'fixed') did yield Mikey who will remain an indoor cat.  To tie this into the full topic at hand:  At one point he seemed to enjoy me strumming an Eagles tune when I got the guitar out, coming into the office and sitting nearby, but work has been too busy and that isn't happening very often lately.