yasmina, a black woman

reg

since reading about this album in the penguin guide to jazz on CD i've been on the look out for it. such a odd line-up, shepp, art ensemble, sunny murray and hank mobley.

yesterday i found a copy in the shops, very excited indeed :)

the CD is a release by Charly records. 2 albums, yasmina and poem for malcolm on one CD (sound is OK). this is my first shepp album and after a few plays i really like it.

a few questions :)

what do people think of hank's playing on these albums (i like it)? also i notice that these were recorded a few weeks after hank's the flip in paris. i see hank, philly joe jones and vince benedetti appear on both shepp's and hank's albums. were these 3 part of a working band over in paris at the time. any info would be good. apart from yasmina, poem for malcolm and the flip did hank record any more stuff over there?

charly seems to have released a few of this 2 album CDs. are the others worth getting and is the license OK?

Blase/Live at the Pan African archie shepp

Mu Vol.1 & 2 don cherry

orient/blue lake don cherry

the solar myth approach vol. 1 & 2 sun ra

a jackson in your house/message to our folks art ensemble of chicago

is the license OK?

Maybe this thread gives an answer:

BYG Actuel Series, On Fuel 2000

I've heard all of the CDs from your list.

- MU is a very intimate duo session, one of my favourite Cherry albums.

- Solar Myth Approach is also very good and representative of Sun Ra "outest" phase.

- From the Shepp CD, I only like the Blasé album, with Jeanne Lee's very emotional singing. The live part is so-so.

- I don't remember the AECO CD, but I've never been a fan of that group anyway.

The sound on all those CDs es merely OK. I think the recordings are not very good, and the original tapes may not be available anymore.

Edited by Claude

what do people think of hank's playing on these albums (i like it)? also i notice that these were recorded a few weeks after hank's the flip in paris. i see hank, philly joe jones and vince benedetti appear on both shepp's and hank's albums. were these 3 part of a working band over in paris at the time. any info would be good. apart from yasmina, poem for malcolm and the flip did hank record any more stuff over there?

This was one of several unhappy periods for Hank Mobley. He traveled to Europe in 1968 because he could not find much work in the USA. Unfortunately he arrived in Europe to find a similar situation. He played a few club dates and gave up. He returned to the States to find the scene even worse by then!

Mobley was invited by Archie Shepp at the Byg sessions but was confined to a low-key role during the two sessions he took part in.

He fared a bit better with the Blue Note 'The Flip' date that was arranged when Francis Wolff traveled to Paris. I like it but have to admit it's not one of Mobley's best.

Guest ariceffron

what ru talking about the mobe ripped it all over europe in the late 60s playin not only clubs but theateres as well. and he was sounding fantastic. wholey f. i have recorded evidence of this to a large extent. its amazing

Sounds like Hank was on a nonstop party binge that occasionally included a recording session or two. I love it, it's totally real. Not a false (or "professional") note or emotion to be heard.

The Down Beat article that's posted here, the Hank interview, gives a brief but vivid account of what Hank's time in Paris was like.

I may be in a minority, but I've always enjoyed the two tenor solos on "Sonny's Back" on the Yasmina record. In the days before I had a CD player in my car, I made a cassette tape of "Sonny's Back", listened to it a fair number of times, and always liked listening to the differences (and the similarities) of the two tenorists on that tune.

Sounds like Hank was on a nonstop party binge that occasionally included a recording session or two.

As was Aric, evidently...

Seriously, though, I like Mobley's playing on those Shepp dates. Am curious about "The Flip," too. It always seemed to me like a record that should've come out on Futura or one of those other weird French labels from the period, rather than BN. I mean, c'mon, Hank Mobley "The Flip" Futura GER-09, featuring Slide Hampton and Vince Bendetti?!?

Sorry, my panties get bunched up sometimes...

Guest ariceffron

WHAT DO U MEAN JUST LIKE ARIC U DUMBFUCK I HAVE MORE HANK MOBLEY THAN YOU HAVE BY A LONGSHOT SO DONT QUESTION WHAT I KNOW. I haVE PRIVATLEY RECORDED MOBLEY YOU WILL NEVER HEAR. SO DONT TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW ABOUT THE MOBE. HE WAS GOOD TILL THE VERY END

Edited by ariceffron

I'd not fuck with Aric about Hank. Aric KNOWS his Hank.

Fuck with him about a lot of other stuff if you like, but not about Hank.

Yeah well, he could write up a bit of all that knowledge instead of pissing people up their legs over nothing. I am a bit tired of this schtick of bad manners, bad syntax, and bad attitude all for the good of knowing nobody-really-knows-what about Hank and Warne and whom else and bragging about it. Big deal, I have never seen him display it much beyond yelling at others when they are not informed about what colour pants Hank wore on this record date he did after watering his plants and humming up that new tune that is so awesome it makes you go all whack and think of nothing but that redhead that cruises the campus...

So fuck me with some genuine *info* on the Hankster or the Marshman then, I'll lap it all up. But please watch your syntax and leave your caps off. It's really very very tiring. Form does matter you know, Warne knows, Hank knows. Grow up.

Yeah well, he could write up a bit of all that knowledge instead of pissing people up their legs over nothing. I am a bit tired of this schtick of bad manners, bad syntax, and bad attitude all for the good of knowing nobody-really-knows-what about Hank and Warne and whom else and bragging about it. Big deal, I have never seen him display it much beyond yelling at others when they are not informed about what colour pants Hank wore on this record date he did after watering his plants and humming up that new tune that is so awesome it makes you go all whack and think of nothing but that redhead that cruises the campus...

So fuck me with some genuine *info* on the Hankster or the Marshman then, I'll lap it all up. But please watch your syntax and leave your caps off. It's really very very tiring. Form does matter you know, Warne knows, Hank knows. Grow up.

Well put John, I couldn't agree more :tup

Back to the topic at hand......I very much like Shepp's Blase record. It is easily my favorite of his BYG dates. The second half of that 2-fer is a little suspect but I think you'll find that the Blase session--and, more specifically, "My Angel"-- is worth the price of admission all by itself.

that "second half" is the Pan African Festival material right? Have been curious about that stuff. Not good eh? At least the material is on seperate disks, not like the Moncur set, which has two sessions both enjoyable enough in their own right (I find), but not really fitting together all that well.

Well now, those are all OTHER Things to fuck with him about, right? ;)

that "second half" is the Pan African Festival material right? Have been curious about that stuff. Not good eh? At least the material is on seperate disks, not like the Moncur set, which has two sessions both enjoyable enough in their own right (I find), but not really fitting together all that well.

The 'engineer' of Shepp's 'Live at the Panafrican Festival' was none other than Barney Wilen. Wilen was in Algiers at the time of that festival. Algiers was the start place of his eventful two-year trip through Africa. Wilen is better on the saxophone! And there's better Shepp available!