Ben Webster Nonet (with Dexter Gordon and EKE)

EKE BBB

Listening to early Dexter Gordon in the Proper Box, I found this date:

BEN WEBSTER NONET: Don Byas, Herbie Fields, Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster (ts) Stuff Smith (vln) Duke Ellington (p) unknown (g) Al Lucas ( b ) Eddie Nicholson (d)

Broadcast from unknown club, NYC, August 20, 1945

Honeysuckle Rose Jazz Archives [F] JA 35

It´s a great performance with a pretty "decent" sound!

Do you know if there were more tracks recorded on this date and if they´re currently available on CD?

Thanks in advance!

EKE, I don't know more on your question than you. Have that Proper set.

Just thought this one here might be of interest for you:

http://www.tcb.ch/tcb.cgi?list=style|artis...RDON+BADEN+1972

02102.gif

Ben & Dex only play together on two tunes, and each of them has two just with rhythm. Drew/Stief/Thigpen are a nice team.

ubu

EKE BBB, there's an additional tune 'The Romp' from that August 20, 1945 on the Jazz Archives album with the same musicians except for Dexter who was out of that one.

Glad to see you back and posting again!

Thanks, brownie!

Dexter´s out: that´s why I couldn´t find any more tunes in some DG discographies.

EKE, why does your subtitle to the thread say "with Dexter Gordon and EKE"? Are you the unknown guitarist? ;-) Or does EKE mean something I don't know?

Don't see EKE BBB around today, will answer for him. EKE stands for Edward Kennedy Ellington. Our Spanish friend is a huge fan of Duke, a&s a number of us are around here. BBB stands for Black Brown and Beige. That was our friend's explanation when queried a long time ago!

Bruyninckx lists these two tracks as being recorded at the Onyx Club in New York.

He also lists Herbie Fields and Buster Bailey as playing clarinet on The Romp, and Byas and Webster on tenor, and no guitar at all.

Bailey is out on Honeysuckle Rose, and Fields and Gordon on tenor.

Gordon inherited Ben Webster's tenor sax and did some European recordings on it, BTW.

EKE, why does your subtitle to the thread say "with Dexter Gordon and EKE"? Are you the unknown guitarist? ;-) Or does EKE mean something I don't know?

brownie said it for me B)

Actually I don´t use to write Duke Ellington as EKE (except for my screen name :P ), but the length of the title of this thread didn´t allow me to enter "Ellington" or even "Duke E." ;)

Bruyninckx lists these two tracks as being recorded at the Onyx Club in New York.

He also lists Herbie Fields and Buster Bailey as playing clarinet on The Romp, and Byas and Webster on tenor, and no guitar at all.

Bailey is out on Honeysuckle Rose, and Fields and Gordon on tenor.

Gordon inherited Ben Webster's tenor sax and did some European recordings on it, BTW.

Very useful information in your post, mike. Thanks a lot!