How's the weather?

29°C in Tel- Aviv but what kills us is the humidity: 80%. I spent this afternoon on the beach.

Same temp here, at least now at 10 PM after it has cooled down. It's dreadful, but knowing what high humidity is like, and not having it here, it's hard to whine that much.

Surprisingly pleasant here, given that it's the first day of August in south-central Indiana. We actually shut off the AC yesterday evening and still have the windows open this afternoon. I'm drinking coffee, reading Robin D.G. Kelley's HAMMER AND HOE, listening to the Ahmad Jamal Mosaic, and keeping tabs on the Yankees-Rays game via Internet radio. Nice way to spend a Sunday, with some fresh air in the house for a change, as opposed to the ol' AC-chilled stuff.

Typical British summer: 65F, overcast, rain never far away, everything looking very green. Quite pleasant if you're used to it. :)

Not much has got across the Pennines. A brief heavy spell yesterday refilled 1 and a bit water butts. But apart from that it's been overcast, threatened rain but kept dry in eastern parts.

Was in London yesterday. Seemed like I'd gone to another climate zone! Sunny, about 5-7C warmer, humid, parched rain-starved grass. Seemed like the contrast you normally find when going over to France.

• 2 weeks later...

As so often, the promise of a warm, dry June never materialised into a gorgeous summer. Odd days of sunshine but rarely lasting a whole day.

Last Thursday was the most miserable weather day in history - poured with rain until the early morning and then grey clouds just glowered all day! I can cope with rain - there's music for rain. But nothing that enhances steel-grey skies.

Sunnier today but cold, windy with lengthy periods of cloud blotting out the sun. I feel autumn a-coming.

Bev

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Clearly, summer's over! According to my computer it was 7C outside first thing this morning and a touch of frost is forecast for tonight. Time they put the August Bank Holiday back to early August!

7C? The lowest temperature here was 28C, in the middle of the night !

Clearly, summer's over! According to my computer it was 7C outside first thing this morning and a touch of frost is forecast for tonight. Time they put the August Bank Holiday back to early August!

There was some wind yesterday - blew my garden parasol right out of the garden table!

At least there were large stretches of sun; as of lunchtime we are back to grey again!

Any political party that promises to organise sun in the daytime and rain/cloud at night gets my vote. More efficient too - less evaporation, less outside man-hours lost to bad weather.

Where is here, sidewinder?

Maiden Castle? Or another hill fort?

First one is Knowlton Earthworks near Wimborne. Neolithic henge circa 2500 BC with a Norman church planted smack bang in the middle of it !

Second one is Badbury Rings - to the South of Blandford. The damn travellers/idlers dossing there en route to the so-called 'Great Dorset Steam Fare' have now left, thankfully - having caused the locals quite a bit of grief with their detritus.

Badbury Rings (Iron age but neolithic origins) is quite an interesting place. There is speculation that the Arthurian Battle of Mount Badon (circa AD 500) could have been fought there. I don't rule out this theory !

Might well check out Maiden Castle later on today. Or maybe Hambledon.

Edited by sidewinder

Thought it was a bit small for Maiden Castle - I recall the latter as being massive.

Amazing what you just stumble on in the countryside. I was heading from Cheddar to Cornwall the other week and decided to try and find Athelney in the Somerset Levels where Alfred the Great hid from the Vikings and supposedly burnt the cakes, prior to his later victories. Just saw this from the road and had to stop:

P8057160.jpg?t=1283415964

Burrow Mump it's called.

Nothing to mark Athelney - you'd have thought there would at least be an Alfred and his Cakes Tea Room (though I think I spotted a pub called The Alfred or something similar).

(pay close attention to the English Summer at the top of the picture)