Weaning someone into jazz.

Hardbopjazz

I have a friend that started listening and buying jazz. I lent him John Coltrane's "Giant Steps". At first he couldn't get into it. I told him, listen to it a few more times. He gave it back to me this morning. He said it grew on him and that would be the next CD he is going to buy.

Now would "A Love Supreme" be too much for a newbie to understand? How far along does it take to fully understand a piece of work like Trane's "A Love Supreme." He saw me listening to it this morning. He wanted to check it out. I said it might turn you off to Coltrane. This piece is his signature work, and very model.

This is where broad comps come in very handy. You could stick to a label comp - Blue Note, Verve, Prestige, etc - or even something like the Ken Burns Jazz box. I mean, there's 80 years of musical history and while someone might dig mid-period Coltrane they might also dig early ("trad") jazz, bebop, big band, organ grooves, or one of the many types of fusion. With a sampler, you can figure out what *style* you like and then get more specific from there.

I've given this a fair amount of thought over the years and it seems to me that the best possible intro to jazz involves music that's fairly heavy on melody. Most people seem to be able to hang their hat on that hook and it tends to lessen the typical "that's just noise" reaction that harder core jazz tends to elicit. For that reason, if it were me, I'd steer clear of Coltrane or Mingus at the outset and think more along the lines of Webster, Hawkins, Prez or Duke. After someone has absorbed this kind of music, I think it's natural to move into more improvisational arenas. I think the key thing is to not overwhelm someone with music that they probably won't understand. As we all know, one must crawl before they walk and walk before they run.

Up over and out.

...and if you do decide to make a comp, please include Blue Roll by RRKirk (RipRigPanic/Edith [latter actually]) just for fegging with your victim. This one is INSANE. It still drives me up the wall after all these years. Jump up from whatever your sitting, standing, lying, or kneeing on and DANCE the room till it shakes baby! Wooo!

I included it on a comp for someone who hadn't had much exposure to jazz and she loved it A LOT. The other tracks were more predictable, rather cool generally, the smoother stuff. Started with Vince Guaraldi - Oh Good Grief, ended with Trane doing Welcome though... :g

Edited by couw

I second BLUE TRAIN, it's very melodic, which as mentioned above is more acceptable to the jazz newcomer. Great exposure to Lee Morgan and Curtis Fuller as well as Coltrane. This one did it for me! Now I'm addicted to that classic hardbop Blue Note sound.

Unless he has an interest in the organ I would steer clear of the B3, even Jimmy Smith (sorry B3er.) Although I'm a certified greazehead, B3 nut, it took a while to warm up to it.

Could it not depend on what they were into music-wise before being open to the idea of jazz? Hard-core? The Cowsills?

Very good point! I have friends for whom "melody" would be completely the wrong approach (guess their motto might be "I hate jazz -- it's so relaxing!"). Much better, with a hard-core or Sonic Youth fan, to plunge ahead with "Rip Rig & Panic" or "A Love Supreme"...

Wow...I'd give a new listener A Love Supreme before I gave them Giant Steps. I never thought the former was all that difficult to follow. That said, i agree totally with the camp that says it depends on what they listen to already. My Favorite Things and Kind of Blue were perfect for me. I know some who would latch on quicker with the Brotzmann I'm listening to right now. Just depends...

RRKirk - Blue Roll

I tell you, that's da shit man. If you don't like it, you're not born for ... well RRK playing that particular song really... hum, still I think it is an awesome introduction to what heights the music can reach. It introduces some quaint sounds, has some of the bluesiest playing I have EVER heard, and it is a damn nice tune to top.

Play Blue Roll 20 times in a row and seperate the interested from the believers. the latter will have tears of joy in their eyes, the former of boredom.

I never told you it was going to be easy!

It might be worthwhile to go "backward," if you will ... start out with stuff that is more modern, with more of a "pop" sensibility ... Charlie Hunter, MMW, Bad Plus, Stefon Harris, Joshua Redman's "Elastic," Uberjammish John Scofield, etc.

That might be a good idea but it's really tough to say. Your approach would probably vary depending on the individual that your dealing with. Probably something with a good groove and not too out there unless the person in question is very receptive.

Edited by chris olivarez