where to go with art pepper?

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

hello. i just picked up "the trip" and like it a lot.

for some reason i think it has a similar vibe to cliff jordan's "glass bead games".

pepper seems to have a ton of music out from his post-incarceration period.

where should i go next?

i have a feeling it doesn't all sound like "the trip" since i think elvin jones had a big influence on the sound and why i like it.

i am not interested in exploring his earlier material (i have heard the album with miles rhythm section-it's good but not my thing) at this point.

but anything else from his later period worth checking out and in this slightly progressive vein "the trip" is in?

there are four separate CDs of the Village Vanguard sessions ( and a complete 9 cd box) that would be a good place to go next. There is of course the enormous Galaxy 16CD set but honesty I wouldn't recommended it first up, as it's highly repetative.

I can only listen to it in small doses and even then get muddledas t owhicjh disc I've played as they are all pretty similar ( and of similarly high(ish) standard). Don't dis his earlier work too lightly- Smack Up is a superb progressive session from 1960 which is a million miles on from the session you mention.

Straight Life from 1979 on Galaxy (OJC) is purdy much an essential one of the later works. You'll end up with the 16CD box anyhow if you like it though... ;)

The Vanguard material is absolutely fabulous. I only had one LP of the set and when I stumbled on the 9CD box, I didn't hesitate long. All of it is superb VERY high intensity playing.

For another one on Contemporary, check out No Limit (1977).

It is all good really and you cannot do much wrong.

Geez - If you haven't soaked in the Contemporary sessions, all of them, you are missing out on an incredible run, and I dare say Meets the Rhythm Section is the weakest. Together, those are for me the finest album sides of the late 50s, including those of Miles and Sonny Rollins. I happen to love The Trip too.

'No Limit' - another Contemporary available on OJC - was recorded shortly after 'the Trip'. With George Cables on piano again. Just as good.

But there is no bad Art Pepper. Would suggest you check again on the pre-Trip Art Pepper albums. There is incredible music in those. Same goes for post-Trip albums.

They're all superb.

Will single out a personal favorite: the Galaxy 'Winter Moon' with strings.

Will single out a personal favorite: the Galaxy 'Winter Moon' with strings.

:wub:

I have been playing disks 15 & 16 of the Galaxy box a lot lately. These are the duo-sessions with George Cables released on Goin' Home and Tête à Tête plus some initially not issued material. More very very fine Art Pepper. Boy o boy.

But brownie is right: it IS all good. Amazing really, I guess Art wasn't one to coast.

Landscape and Tokyo Encore, both recorded live in Japan in 1979 are two great recordings. George Cables on piano, Tony Dumas on bass, and Billy Higgins in typical badassed form on drums. Both recordings have an overlapping set of songs so you only need one - I'd opt for Landscape. It's as good as the Live at the Village Vanguard series.

Someone above mentioned the Omega tapes - I think these are issued by Blue note as the "Aladdin Sessions" as a subtitle with real titles like Modern Art, the Art of Pepper, etc. These are great.

These are my faves along with those great Contemporary dates. I don't like too much of his stuff after that, although some of the Galaxy live stuff is nice.

Art Pepper Today is probably my favorite Galaxy studio session. The rhythm section is great: Stanley Cowell, Cecil McBee & Roy Haynes, plus Kenneth Nash on percussion on some tracks. The version of "Patricia" on the album is one of the greatest ballad performances ever.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the great "Hollywood All-Star Sessions."

An expensive set to be sure, but some of his best playing IMHO.

"Hollywood All-Star Sessions" is a great set. I like specially the sessions with Sonny Stitt. In general, Art Pepper was such a great artist that you can’t go wrong with him.