Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT'S who I was trying to think of for #2! Joe Henderson! That makes much more sense! Now to find out what track and which album!

Searched that way days ago and came empty-handed. Nada!

Doesn't sound remotely like Joe Henderson. The track certainly is a stumper. The tenor sounds to me like someone who came later, late '70s or after perhaps and who generally might be found in more "out" settings, e.g., David Murray, Chico Freeman. But I don't think it's either player. Pianist has me stumped also. If this turns out to be in my collection, I'm really gonna be pissed!

Edited by MartyJazz

#8: Well having never heard the New Winds Ensemble's works I'm starting to lean a bit more to Ned Rothenberg here than say Ehrlich or even Hemphill.

And I think track #9 is a bit more modern than we believe (did you give date for that?) and that it could very well be one of the more recent snakey Ehrlich pieces for his larger works rather than the date of the pianist. Then again I have no Muhal to haul out and listen to. But man that drummer is doin'! Then we have this little break of the strings with a couple of ding-dings for the bell-man and the cut comes to a close... me thinks the Rock is tricky on the post engineering to toss off the Googlers.;) Then comes some circular pan flootin on #10 to bring me back to wondering about ...

#8- I really wish they would have given that kid a shot of Robotussin before the show (i always do). The setting is so small that it could be one of those Knitting Factory Works discs and the fact that it ends so abruptly tells me that the Rock was cutting this one down to make room on his Dagwood BFT Sammich (timing may be more than 2:36 in the googling). I keep looking for circular breathers, as we have a couple on here, that play with obtuse cello. Hep me somebody!

edit: looking back I missed the tip that #9 is from '67... shoot, there goes my voice from barking up the wrong tree again.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

And I think track #9 is a bit more modern than we believe (did you give date for that?)

Yes, I gave the date for that one. Here it is again, more detailed, plus the coordinates:

New York City, October 16, 1967

#8- I really wish they would have given that kid a shot of Robotussin before the show (i always do).  The setting is so small that it could be one of those Knitting Factory Works discs and the fact that it ends so abruptly tells me that the Rock was cutting this one down to make room on his Dagwood BFT Sammich (timing may be more than 2:36 in the googling).

I edited out the applause (actually, I had planned to mention this but forgot) but didn't touch the music. The notes in the booklet list this track 2'54.

#2 was originally released in 1973 (AMG wrongly lists it as a 1974 release).

Yikes, a '73 release date which could mean an earlier (in years) recording date. I'm really at a loss. Who was playing in that vein in the early '70s? Carter Jefferson, Bennie Maupin, Billy Harper? I give up.

#2 was originally released in 1973 (AMG wrongly lists it as a 1974 release).

Yikes, a '73 release date which could mean an earlier (in years) recording date. I'm really at a loss. Who was playing in that vein in the early '70s? Carter Jefferson, Bennie Maupin, Billy Harper? I give up.

The recording date is not stated but I think it was recorded in 1972 or 1973.

Doesn't sound remotely like Joe Henderson. The track certainly is a stumper. The tenor sounds to me like someone who came later, late '70s or after perhaps and who generally might be found in more "out" settings, e.g., David Murray, Chico Freeman. But I don't think it's either player. Pianist has me stumped also. If this turns out to be in my collection, I'm really gonna be pissed!

See now, I felt a little Henderson towards the end.

I have listened several times now and I'm none the wiser. I've only seen that 1. is Jaco from other peoples comments and that Rahsaan is in there somewhere. The nearest I can come to a guess at anything is perhaps David Sanchez and Danilo Perez for 2. Sure I've heard the tenor player but just not sure who it is.

Floundering completely with the rest, unless Rahsaan is 3. A lot is not in the areas I inhabit so can't comment at all, but I did find it nice listening. I particularly liked 5. - we had a background vibes player not long ago - I wonder if it's the same one.

14. is "Confessin'" I think - sounds nice but no idea who.

Thanks for a challenging disk - it's been fun. Now I'll read the comments in full.

Edited by tooter

Please excuse my tardiness. I've been listening to the disc for the last week, but finally had a chance to write my thoughts...

1. Has to be Jaco. (Or perhaps Steve Swallow in his electro-funk Jaco mode.) Nice way to start the disc!

2. Very nice piece – it sounds familiar in a way (I’m sure I’ll recognize the names of the players) though I don’t think I’ve necessarily heard it before. It has that neat early 70’s electric-sounding piano and sax vibe to it that I’ve really been digging lately. Damn, that sax player sounds familiar! One of my favorite tracks on this disc.

3. Love that plucked bass intro. Another cool tune that builds nicely as it progresses. Again, I don’t think that I’ll be surprised when I hear the names, but nothing rings any specific bells to me.

4. Vocalist almost sounds like Sheila Jordan in spots, but I’m not familiar with her in such a large ensemble context. I don’t think it’s her. I love this sort of propulsive, somewhat progressive, ensemble arranging. This reminds me in some ways of Shepp’s big band, but I don’t think he had the organ. The song seems very familiar to me, though the arrangement keeps me from recognizing it. Another of my favorite tracks here.

5. Ah, a change-up. Slower, moodier, with a quasi-Latin groove underneath it all. Almost too pretty to take seriously, but hell, I like “pretty” too. Soprano sax should narrow down my guess, but I’ll have to think about it some…

6. I like the ominous, off-beat rhythm and the vocal styling is a good fit, but I’m rather glad this was a short piece. Sounds like

7. I’m digging this, but haven’t a clue. I can’t remember if I’ve heard this track before or if I’m just flashing on its familiarity from quickly spinning this BFT disc last week. Almost sounds like something the AEC would do – there’s an a-g energy mixed with its overt folksiness – but it’s too small an ensemble. If this isn’t from the late-60’s/early 70’s I don’t know what is. (note: just sought and found this one at AMG. I’m kind of pissed because I actually had this disc in hand a few weeks back at Amoeba, but didn’t pick it up. My bad it seems.)

8. Not my favorite track here, though it’s hardly unlistenable. I gotta really be in the mood for this kind of stuff – and right now I’m not.

9. I first thought this was a continuation from track 8, but I’m glad to hear that it’s not. ;) Tune sounds familiar, but I’m not sure. Sounds like a Herbie comp in spots. Is that actually a violin or just a bowed bass/cello? Not sure. I didn’t like this much the first time I heard it but it’s growing on me. Lots of interesting things happening in a tune that’s deceptively slow and simple. I’d suggest or Woody Shaw or Eddie Henderson for trumpet, but that bowed bass is throwing me off. Hmm…

10. I’m not sure if I like that “cutesy” flute-and-strings rhythm going on behind it, but I absolutely love that sax solo. Love the rough tone and passion behind it. Could be later-day Shepp, Sanders, or perhaps Gary Bartz on tenor. The more I hear it, the more familiar the tune seems to me. Another favorite track here.

11. The sounds of an orchestra warming up before the performance. ;) I know a few people will hate this one, but I’m cool with it. Sounds like a reasonably accessible Hat Hut disc. Don’t mean to be catty by saying something like that, but it sort of reminds me of the little Franz Koglmann that I’ve heard. Not my first choice of music to spin, but it’s challenging in a good way.

12. Almost film music-y. Or perhaps Eno or Harold Budd. Damn, if that doesn’t sound like a Lanois production. As to more mainstream jazz performers, I haven’t a clue.

13. No clue. Doesn’t do much for me either way.

14. Gotta be Bill Frisell. Made me smile! Great bookend to the opening track.

15. But it’s not over yet! One of my favorite “oldies,” but the vocalist doesn’t ring any obvious bells. Doesn’t knock me out either, but it’s hard to screw up such a great tune. The double-time section at the end also made me smile. A fine ending to another very entertaining Blind-fold Test.