Blindfold Test #10

rockefeller center

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you guys posted a link for track #3, as I found it used today (after searching online! Is this really OOP?). Listening to it right now, and am thankful for yet another BFT that has pointed me in the direction of an artist I'm unfmailiar with!

Got my disc yesterday when I returned home. Gave it a quick listen to get a feeling of what Rockefeller had compiled.

A number of tracks were very new to me. Which is fine.

Those I had no problem identifying are:

Track 1: opening side from this album

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4y68mpmd9f6o

Track 3: tune 8 from this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Als9us39ba3ng

Track 10: opening side from this album

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Apr5g8qbbbtv4

Track 14: ballad nr. 6 from that album

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aref4zf02eh4k

The first and third albums were old favorites in their time but I have not played them in years.

The second one is a classic. A desert island album.

One track (number 5) I am pretty sure it is Wayne Shorter on soprano (pretty unique sound)but will have to look further into his records to identify the record...

Another track (number 7) should be something with Ornette. Give me time and I'll have this figured out along with track 5. Both sound familiar and I am pretty sure I have these albums.

And I'll give a good listen to the other tracks.

Edited by brownie

After a few spins, I must say this is a very interesting and consistent compilation, though many of the tracks do not belong to my kind of stuff!

1.- Guess this is Jaco Pastorius. I´m not very fond of him, nor had I listened to him profusely. The tune is Parker´s "Donna Lee" (or some variation of it).

2.- Beautiful tenor and colourful punctuations from the piano. No clue.

3.- I think it´s RRK (the whistle gives us a good hint). No idea of the album or the song.

4.- I haven´t got the minimum idea of who on hell is singing! The title of the song may be "Little bee..." or something like that. Don´t like it.

5.- This soprano sax could be Wayne Shorter, but I´m not sure at all. I enjoy the first minutes of this smooooth track, but it gets too long (for my taste).

6.- It sounds somehow familiar, but I can´t recognize this vocals.

7.- I´m recently getting with his music. This is the firs track from this disc:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A80d8vwpta9qk

(vocals did help a lot identifying it! ;) )

8.- No clue. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

9.- String plus jazz ensemble. No idea.

10.- South American instrument and music. The only guy I know with this stuff is Gato Barbieri, but I won´t venture it´s him.

11.- I really like the arrangement here. No clue (again!)

12.- ?????????

13.- My guess:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A68jieai14x07

14.- No idea

15.- No clue again, to end this BFT. I´ve got worn out while advancing through the tracks....

Thanks again for this interesting BFT, rockefeller center

First of all, it's a great selection, in my opinion.

Some considerations:

#1. Jaco, of course.

#2. My first impression was Stan Getz. Then Charles Lloyd. Then Wayne Shorter. So it has to be yet someone else... Great track, one of the disc's best.

#3. RRK. Funny how I spotted the drummer first, and then the whistle gave it away.

#4. I, too, had thought of Larry Young (but I could not remember Young ever playing this piece, which I knew in other people's version, but not this one). Very nice.

#5. That's Shorter for sure. Almost too easy!

#6. Cassandra Wilson? I do not know her latest records well, it's only a wild guess.

#7. Great track. The bass riff was all I needed. It's a record I know almost by heart. 'Nuff said.

#8. Julius Hemphill and Nels Cline?

#9. I am certain I have and know this, but I can't decide who's playing. Wild guess, again: Charles Tolliver, James Spaulding, Stanley Cowell. Otherwise, the bass player sounds like Ron Carter (Clint Houston maybe?), and the piano player a curious mix between a '60s Steve Kuhn and Andrew Hill... The string arrangement sounds to me like a Gary McFarland thing. Nice track, anyway.

#10. Gato. I have (and love) that.

#11. Why do I have the idea that it's Kenny Wheeler playing? Is it a Graham Collier group?

#12. I was waiting for Pharoah Sanders (in his Theresa period) to come in, but it didn't happen...

#13. A Mingus vibe, but no Mingus, so it must be Ted Curson.

#14. Eugene Chadbourne? Marc Ribot?

#15. It looks like a track from the Capitol "Ultra Lounge" series, but I can't say who it is.

Rockefeller Center, it has been a great listening experience. You really have a knack for putting compilations together! A disc I will come back to often. Thanks.

Luca

Just checking in. I got the disc yesterday, and Jim and I listened to some of it on the way down to the gig. I knew track 1 right off. I know some of what rockefeller is into, and was expecting to hear some Jaco, Wayne, and Kirk... Good stuff. :)

thanks for the disc TK and the great graphics job on this one! assured that that carp knows more than i!

i have some thoughts but unfortunately no real answers to speak of. i am confident that this one will be put through the wringer and can't wait to lurk thru the replies. nicely done all around!

here it goes:

track 1 - electro duo

track 2 - ? i'll try to think some more on this but i am going to peruse this thread after posting. it's a beauty! maybe jarrett cause i hear a little pocket vole taking a solo here and there.

track 3 - who else uses the siren whistle? not a typical RRK sound to me but it sure feels like it at the end.

track 4 - no idea...

track 5 - sounds like two songs here... neither relating as the same though? i do like the laid back bossa vibe on the latter.

track 6 - maybe nina simone but too short for me to tell.

track 7 - gonna say ornette simply because it sounds like something he'd do. have never heard this but the bass is of the coleman derivative and the violin has to be him since guys like billy bang can play.

track 8 - i like this whoever it might be. that clanging string in the background on top of the tenor leads me nowheres as to describe this. do i hear voices back there as well? or is that the neighbors. kind of has a "lonely woman' feel to it that tells me that last cut is definitely coleman!

track 9 - some bowing leads into this setting of a bigger rhythm section. beautiful piece that i should know. can't be a chicago based large ensemble since there is some piano on going here that sounds tyner-esque to me. i'll be slapping the head on this one.

track 10 - whaat! bird like pan floutings, eastern tejano plinkety plinks all simmered into a south of the border mole'. no idea at all but this will get 'em to buy another tres colores!

track 11- wow this piece has too many things going on for me to even venture into. this one will no doubt provoke a bit of discussion.

track 12 - i have this one but have no clue as to what it is. sheesh it's on the tip of my lobe here but i can't seem to place it. man, this is terrible.

track 13 - nice segue from the prior. this one i don't have and certainly can't place it either. i will come back to this one, most definitely!

track 14 - instantly recognizable bit of ribot and track 6 from: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ayzj9kectsq7n]saints

track 15 - bill murray

well i've looked this over and should have gone with nmy gut guesses on tracks 3 & 10. i have none of 10 music other than the 'buttery thing' on an old lp.

and since #9 is not quite tyner ...?

now # 12 is really driving me nuts seeing that no-one picked it up yet. even with the calabashes and goat hooves... but crazy... :wacko: it's the Ribot track from this blue note album. pheww! :)

can you tell i'm sitting here trying to rack this up w/o my discs and just my brain ... not good.

this is sooo easy!  only took three tries... the opener. ^_^

Nope, please try again.

shit... now i've gotta go and drive the family nuts tonite...i give up. it's probably not even them is it!!? but hey, my post count is way up and enroute to "stoopit groover" status.

can you tell i'm sitting here trying to rack this up w/o my discs and just my brain ... not good.

this is sooo easy!  only took three tries... the opener. ^_^

Nope, please try again.

shit... now i've gotta go and drive the family nuts tonite...i give up. it's probably not even them is it!!? but hey, my post count is way up and enroute to "stoopit groover" status.

Your family will be proud of you ("stoopit groover" status). Please find out yourself if it's them or not - enjoy...

First of all, thanks, RC for putting this together.

I recognized number one, as I think most would; despite the virtuosity, he's always left me cold.

I liked track 2 the best, my initial thoughts were Shorter.

The rest of the tracks, well ... none really held my interest, I'm afraid; some had me ready to run screaming from the room.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Some more tracks I identified yesterday evening.

- 5: this has to be brazilian track from this album (will have to recheck though, did not have time to locate the LP copy I have somewhere)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aas3gtq6zbu43

- 7: opening track from this album (had not listened to that album recently)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aqfjx7i78g72r

- 13: track 4. This is an old favorite album. I have the original LP with a different cover,

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A5b821vf8zz9a

I have not been able to identify track 2, an excellent choice.

And I still need to listen to that short track 8 a bit more.

Tracks 4, 6, 9, 11, 12, 15 no idea so far. I am into unkown territory on those ones.