What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Those MFP albums were like K-Tel - you used to be able to get them in Woolworths and the like for about £0.50 in the late 60s/early 80s. Saga, Studio 2 etc were others. Lots of cheesy 'Top of the Pops' cover compilations (worth buying just for the babes on the front covers).

MFP issued a very nice Bossa Nova LP by a British tenor player called Duncan Lamont, that a friend of mine used to have. Nice bird in a red dress on the cover, too.

They also issued the best compilation of early Jr Walker I've ever come across. Although it was called "Shotgun", it wasn't the same as the real "Shotgun" LP - it was almost all instrumental.

MG

Duncan is still active musically - last time I saw him he was in the sax section for Kenny Wheeler's Big Band. He did quite a lot of 'library' sessions in the 60s for deWolfe, Bosworth etc and also MOR sessions for the likes of Studio 2 as well as MFP.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I LOVE this album! And it's very hard to find! Don't you like the music?

Glad I dug up that one! It IS better than what I remembered about it!

Porcy62 the Tarzan cover should be the standard for Manfred!

That MGM cover makes me laugh, the ECM covers give me the creeps :blink:

Now spinning:

Ike Quebec 'Soul Samba' (BN, mono)

Edited by brownie

Yeah! I like it too, Sidewinder. At the time, the British jazz I was listening to seemed to swing more than the US jazz, a lot of which was hard bop which had become tired.

Strangely though, Mike has confirmed that he doesn't much like this album. Personally, I love it ! It seems to successfully soak in some of the rock, soul and folk influences of the time.

Edited by sidewinder