wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

48,781 posts in this topic

I think there is more Mariano in the collection I bought.

Heart Dance, River Flow: Folk Music of Tibet - (Dorje Ling, US)

really strong compilation of Tibetan folk songs and celebratory recordings from Tibet with a handsome gold-leaf effect on the cover

James Moody, Another Bag (Argo), and Denny Zeitlin, Live at the Trident (Columbia)

Louis Armstrong, Jazz Classics (Brunswick ten inch)

Rena Rama "with Marilyn Mazur" (dragon, Sweden)

Sabu Toyozumi/Mototeru Takagi "if ocean is broken" (qbico, ?).   Bought this when it came out but don't think I ever even listened to the whole thing.  Scratching my head why as I play it because it's amazing!

10 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Sabu Toyozumi/Mototeru Takagi "if ocean is broken" (qbico, ?).   Bought this when it came out but don't think I ever even listened to the whole thing.  Scratching my head why as I play it because it's amazing!

Haha same here - must dig it out.

Kenny Clarke Francy Boland and company------The Golden 8------(BN music matters 33)

not sure why this should be so obscure a Blue Note release.  Admittedly doesn't sound like anything else from blue note.  The recording is top-notch but certainly not  like anything done by Rudy Van Elder.

I have a Japanese stereo pressing of that one - it's good. I'm intrigued by its existence on the label, as it was leased from Campi.

On 3/25/2016 at 1:06 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dont you wish there was Jazz Message #3  

I'd buy it if it existed. Are there more tracks from these sessions? Can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.

11XRoxD2WBL.jpg

Anthony Braxton and the Three Rivers Tri-Centric Ensemble, Ensemble (Pittsburgh) 2008. Excellent concert organized by saxophonist Ben Opie featuring some of Braxton's older creative orchestra songs. Braxton conducts and plays. There's also a CD-R featuring a high school ensemble doing a great job on some Braxton tunes. 

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'd buy it if it existed. Are there more tracks from these sessions? Can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.

well not exactly the same sessions but theres that bonus cut "A1" on the 70s edition of- introducing lee morgan....

Donald Byrd ------Mustang------(BN Liberty stereo)

One of those BN sessions which hardly any kind of masterpiece but just sounds so together, so good. Great session even if it includes the ultra lame 'On the trail'.

Great set!

For Easter week-end:

thunda.jpg

Edited by aparxa

On March 26, 2016 at 0:28 PM, JSngry said:

MI0000873828.jpg

Liner notes by Mike Zwerin talking about how his jazz - cynicism was totally defeated by hanging with The Cowsills for a few days and realizing that they were exactly the type of people and act that they projected to the public.

Musically, anybody can quibble with the"what", bur I'll be damned if there's any quibbles with the "how"... I was surprised as hell to see that the album was produced by Bill & Bob Cowsill. The group vocals...geez, love/hate here, but objectively, as "section work" if the hate cannot accept the love, then further processing is probably needed. 

Fuck The Partridge Family. Nothin personal, just sayin'.

I saw this album sitting in a second hand shop the other day. I remember seeing Bill Cowsill performing covers in a pub back in the early 90s during one of the many mini comebacks he had in those days. It was sad and kind of surreal.

Now spinning: Giorgio Gaslini Jean-Luc Ponty...et al (PA USA)

&

Philly Joe Jones/Dameronia, Look Stop Listen

On 3/29/2016 at 7:23 AM, soulpope said:

b4611b7f75.jpg

:tup

R-2498751-1287328292.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper: Gettin' Together (Contemporary)

Each time I listen to this, Paul Chambers is the musician who grabs my attention.

Bob Brookmeyer--------Gloomy Sunday and other bright moments------(Verve US)

Two of my favourite players Eddie Costa and Gene Quill are present here.

094457.jpg

63998488_m.jpg

Ted Curson: Urge (Fontana Japan)

Worth listening to for Curson and the rhythm section.

Edited by paul secor

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

63998488_m.jpg

Ted Curson: Urge (Fontana Japan)

Worth listening to for Curson and the rhythm section.

Great set. 

NP

Rey Scott-----Timbre Tambre -----(Planetary Lights)  

R-2357482-1279266291.jpeg.jpg

Sometime inmate of the best jail in the world leads this modal cum fusion cum Afro sounding date. Mid 70s : nice .

Edited by Clunky

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:54 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Tom Harrell - Play Of Light (Blackhawk). Not really digging this one much, especially the guitarist, Poor Eddie Gomez's bass sounds terrible.

20131203092139.jpg

It was badly recorded, but the music was good, or better than good.  That was a long time ago, I think 1981...