Softly as a Morning Sunrise

Templejazz

Hello all,

Softly as a Morning Sunrise is probably my favorite track off of Unity.

I'd like to learn this beautiful standard frontwards and back on my own horn and listen to as many interpretations as possible. Besides from Unity, what other recordings of this tune exist?

Thanks in advance! :excited:

Bill

For me, the ultimate recording of "Softly As In a Morning Sunrise" is by John Coltrane at the Village Vanguard. Absolutely incredible. Tyner plays as though his hands were made of gold...whatever that means.

If you don't have at least the master takes Vanguard disc, you need to get it. The complete box set is amazing, of course, but the masters are essential.

Great tune, well played on a classic album --- Art Pepper's 'Gettin' Together' (Contemporary).

Perfect tune for someone like Pepper, he IMO is just like Sonny in that he can stretch out melodically, harmonically --- you name it, and this tune needs a player like that.

Plus, he's playing with the 'other' rhythm section here; Cobb, Wynton Kelly and P.C. --- at their peak!

love this sort of thread.

Coltrane's, yes, and for me it's maybe Elvin, too, who does it, rather than McCoy (who is amazing, too, but seems the tremendous groove they're locking into stems mainly from Elvin)

Which Dolphy version do you mean? (Don't have my CDs at hand - isn't there one on Ron Carter's "Where"?)

Paul Chambers did a nice one, too on one of his Blue Note albums, but this maybe is not in the same league as the Rollins, Coltrane & Young ones.

ubu

A few favourites of mine:

Christie, June

Something cool: the complete mono & stereo versions

Clark, Sonny

Sonny Clark Trio

Coltrane, John

Live in the Village Vanguard. The master takes

Dolphy, Eric

The Illinois concert

Lincoln, Abbey

Abbey is blue

Pass, Joe

Finally

Rollins, Sonny

A night at the Village Vanguard

Carter, Ron

Where?

Kelly, Wynton

Kelly blue

Edited by EKE BBB

Thanks guys, this stuff is gold. I've actually been eyeing that Art Pepper disc for a while so that will be my next pickup.

Funny, I've heard Trane's quartet in dribs and drabs but don't have any of their output, those Vanguard sessions sound like a fantastic place to start.

:ph34r::party::ph34r:

How is it? IT'S GOT DOLPHY ON IT!!! ;) B) :D

Seriously - it's got some great, searing Dolphy on it. A magical 'God Bless the Child', as well. The one shame is that the hanging mikes (as I assume they were?) really didn't pick up the flute at all well; but that only mars the sound quality on one track, really.

I think it's a must, and especially interesting for the purposes of comparison since it provides versions of tunes that he recorded elsewhere.

Edited by Red

Hey, thanks for the "Illinois" input! I was particularly concerned about the recording quality. It sounds like it's fine. Cool.

BMG is really cheap right now ($7.99 & no S/H), so I went ahead ordered it (along with Wes' "Full House").

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite "Softly" is by Joe Newman, with Hank Jones, George Duvivier and Alan Dawson, from a Black & Blue LP recorded somewhere in the 1970's (anyone in for a recording date?). They smoke the hell out of that one!

The Illinois Concert is a real gem, BTW!

There is also a stunning version recorded at the Village Vanguard (is a playing of

'Softly as a Morning Sunrise' required by the management whenever groups are

booked in the club?) in the just released 'NY-1' Blue Note album by Martial Solal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have loved that Trane version for years. It was my first exposure to all the players.

When I go through the Trane Vanguard box, I wish that there were more performances like this gem. All those Indias get a bit tedious at times, and I'm kinda played out on "Impressions", especially after having played it myself dozens of times. The LP version of "Spiritual" is still great to hear, though. That bass clarinet adds such a lot, and everyone is superb on it.

When I first heard "Spiritual", I could not figure out what those chords were that McCoy was using! Then, one day, I worked it out while doodling on a piano: he was using three notes a fourth apart with a top note a major third above that (e.g. D, G, C, E) plus various root notes in the bass. This approach opens things up a lot harmonically.

I have loved that Trane version for years. It was my first exposure to all the players.

When I go through the Trane Vanguard box, I wish that there were more performances like this gem. All those Indias get a bit tedious at times, and I'm kinda played out on "Impressions", especially after having played it myself dozens of times. The LP version of "Spiritual" is still great to hear, though. That bass clarinet adds such a lot, and everyone is superb on it.

When I first heard "Spiritual", I could not figure out what those chords were that McCoy was using! Then, one day, I worked it out while doodling on a piano: he was using three notes a fourth apart with a top note a major third above that (e.g. D, G, C, E) plus various root notes in the bass. This approach opens things up a lot harmonically.

great to see you back around Shrdlu. :D .

I have to say my favorite version is the Sonny Clark. Plus, just a side note, the RVG of Sonny Clark Trio SOUNDS AMAZING. One of Rudy's best imho.