108 replies to this topic

#91 chewy

chewy

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:45 AM

what is known about the lou session- the unrelased one with the organ, as opposed to the large ensemble ones--- this looks to good , trainwreck or not! is anything known about this one?>

#92 ASNL77

ASNL77

Supa Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:33 AM

The last BN Mosaic set is the Donaldson. Mosaic haven't worked on a Blue Note set for ages. ( apart from the Select sets). Are RVGs the only reason?

Edited by ASNL77, 13 April 2007 - 04:35 AM.

#93 paul secor

paul secor

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,706 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:53 AM

I e-mailed Mosaic a while back inquiring about the possibility of a George Russell Sextet in Kansas City, and received the following reply recently:

It's quite good. I have been thinking about a Select with all of his Decca sextet albums.

Since there were only two G.R. sextet records - K.C. and Five Spot, I hope that this means that there will be extra material included. Chuck mentioned in another thread that unreleased material from the K.C. record existed.

#94 brownie

brownie

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 26,773 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

Paul, I could be wrong but probably the Select might include the two Russell sextet albums plus he two big band albums 'New York, N.Y.' and 'Jazz in the Space Age'.

#95 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,457 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

Paul, I could be wrong but probably the Select might include the two Russell sextet albums plus he two big band albums 'New York, N.Y.' and 'Jazz in the Space Age'.

But that's still not much more than two CDs worth of music, if there's nothing additional to release. It would be a terrific set though, that's for sure!

#96 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,457 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

The last BN Mosaic set is the Donaldson. Mosaic haven't worked on a Blue Note set for ages. ( apart from the Select sets). Are RVGs the only reason?

Could be... but then there's been so many BN reissues in the past years, and some albums have come out several times within short periods of time, so I guess there's no need. And honestly, not much interest here for more BN Mosaics, either... there's lots of other much more interesting ground for them to cover!

#97 Daniel A

Daniel A

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

"Jazz in the Space Age" is marred by a lot of audible splicing. I suppose not much could be done about that. Tenorist Dave Young was a suprise for me first time I heard this album. It would be nice to see it in print in some form.

#98 paul secor

paul secor

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 20,706 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

brownie - I thought that might be the case also, but the e-mail reply specifically read "sextet albums". That could be a slip up, and if a select happens it may include all of the Decca recordings - big bands and sextets. If it happens, it should be a good thing, no matter what the configuration.
Speaking personally, I already have everything except the K.C. sextet, so I hope there's some unreleased stuff included. Tho I'd buy a Select just for the K.C. recording, as expensive as that may be.

#99 The Magnificent Goldberg

The Magnificent Goldberg

Groovissimo!

• 22,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:05 PM

Could be... but then there's been so many BN reissues in the past years, and some albums have come out several times within short periods of time, so I guess there's no need. And honestly, not much interest here for more BN Mosaics, either... there's lots of other much more interesting ground for them to cover!

Dan Gould and I want a Three Sounds box.

MG

#100 J.A.W.

J.A.W.

Music addict

• Members
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

MG

And I want a whole lot of other stuff, but the main thing now is the survival of Mosaic...

#101 The Magnificent Goldberg

The Magnificent Goldberg

Groovissimo!

• 22,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

MG

And I want a whole lot of other stuff, but the main thing now is the survival of Mosaic...

I think a Three Sounds box would make a good contribution to that cause.

MG

#102 J.A.W.

J.A.W.

Music addict

• Members
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

MG

I think a Three Sounds box would make a good contribution to that cause.

MG

But a box like that would probably need a huge investment before it would generate some money and I understand they need cash now.

#103 ghost of miles

ghost of miles

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Are they on shaky ground right now? I mean, I know they've never been sitting around counting huge piles of cash... but hadn't heard that they might be in any trouble.

#104 The Magnificent Goldberg

The Magnificent Goldberg

Groovissimo!

• 22,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

I suppose, if sales are down, that's not going to look too good to the new owners of EMI, who have a half share in Mosaic. Hence the urgency.

MG

#105 ghost of miles

ghost of miles

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

Ah--I just read this post. So this means buying a Mosaic is not a selfish act of acquisition, but rather service in a noble cause...

MG, you should pull the trigger on that Jazztet set. It's quite a stunning collection of music.

#106 The Magnificent Goldberg

The Magnificent Goldberg

Groovissimo!

• 22,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

Ah--I just read this post. So this means buying a Mosaic is not a selfish act of acquisition, but rather service in a noble cause...

MG, you should pull the trigger on that Jazztet set. It's quite a stunning collection of music.

But for the money and the need not to have too many new records, lest I can't listen to them all enough to satisfy me...

MG

#107 ghost of miles

ghost of miles

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

Re: a George Russell Select, I hope it happens. I have a cd-r of KANSAS CITY but would love to see all of that material bundled together (including SPACE AGE and NY NY). I'll ask David Baker again about the Decca sessions...I'm pretty sure he's said there's more than what's on the LPs.

#108 ghost of miles

ghost of miles

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 12,228 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

But for the money and the need not to have too many new records, lest I can't listen to them all enough to satisfy me...

MG

Well, what if we all pitched in and got it for you as a belated birthday present? :g

Seriously, if Mosaic needs to up their sales I may buy a couple sets as presents for friends this year. I already have everything they've put out, save for the second Andrew Hill Select, and I'll be picking that one up pretty soon... trying to hold off till the Hampton box comes out.

#109 The Magnificent Goldberg

The Magnificent Goldberg

Groovissimo!

• 22,013 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:12 AM

MG

Well, what if we all pitched in and got it for you as a belated birthday present? :g

The crunch point is that I almost NEVER have, and never want, a backlog of unheard (sufficiently) albums. And I've got 10 CDs snarled up in apostal strike at present.

MG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users