What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Kamasi - 2nd set of 2 sold-out shows. Very entertaining, but was it great jazz? I don't know. I do know that the crowd of mostly 20/30-something hipsters was having a great time and that says something for any "jazz" show. More often than not I find the audiences for jazz are much older and more sedate, which makes me worry about it's future. These guys bring some hope and an exciting mixture of classic sounds mixed with all sorts of other influences.

25152618502_e3b5c719c5_b.jpg

Edited by BFrank

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Ches Smith Trio: Smith (d, vibes), Mat Maneri (viola), Craig Taborn (piano). Bohemian Taverns, Washington, DC, Feb 28, 2016

Been waiting for an opportunity to see this group in the right venue and last night was it. Incredible performance from the trio. 

The first of two sets opened with a continuous one hour performance (don't know if it was severe pieces strung together in a continuos flow, or one long piece), but the performance built to a powerful, dense, level by the time it was done. 

The second set was three or four pieces, none of them named except for "See You on the Dark Side of the Earth," from the new CD, which got a gorgeous performance. 

Each member of the trio was playing to the hilt, but I have to say that Ches Smith's drumming was electric and really propelled the group. His vibe playing has become quite proficient as well, and he integrates it beautifully into his drumming.  

A strong and memorable performance. 

10 hours ago, BillF said:

The Andrew Cleyndert Quartet (Cleyndert bs, Martin Shaw tpt, flg, Colin Oxley gtr, Ross Stanley pno) at Malcolm Frazer's house last night.

Andy Cleyndert's a wonderful bass player. Some stamina too...at Appleby he seemed to be on stage every other set in a 14 hour day! Nice record label to. 

just printed out my tickets for the Brötzmann anniversary gig in Warsaw, flight on Sunday around noon ... looking forward immensely - the programme is by now somewhat more specific, at least abut the closing sets of the four nights (no music on the first night, but I'll there there nonetheless):

▌06.03.2016, 19:00h » 15 PLN

Screening „Rohschnitt Peter Brötzmann” (dir. Peter Sempel)
75th Birthday Party of Peter Brötzmann with Toshinori Kondo, Han Bennink, Steve Noble, Heather Leigh, John Edwards and Jason Adasiewicz

▌07.03.2016, 20:30h » 50 PLN

3 sets, each one about 30 min » including 2 „ad-hoc” sets and 1 set as follows: Peter Brötzmann / Jason Adasiewicz / John Edwards / Steve Noble

▌08.03.2016, 20:30h » 50 PLN

3 sets, each one about 30 min » including 2 „ad-hoc” sets and 1 set as follows: Peter Brötzmann & Heather Leigh Duo

▌09.03.2016, 20:30h » 50 PLN

3 sets, each one about 30 min » including 2 „ad-hoc” sets and 1 set as follows: Peter Brötzmann / Toshinori Kondo / Han Bennink / Alexander v. Schlippenbach

▌10.03.2016, 20:30h » 80 PLN

First set: Peter Brötzmann & Han Bennink
Second set: Peter Brötzmann / Toshinori Kondo / Han Bennink / Alexander von Schlippenbach / Heather Leigh / Steve Noble / Jason Adasiewicz / John Edwards

8 hours ago, king ubu said:

just printed out my tickets for the Brötzmann anniversary gig in Warsaw, flight on Sunday around noon ... looking forward immensely - the programme is by now somewhat more specific, at least abut the closing sets of the four nights (no music on the first night, but I'll there there nonetheless):

▌06.03.2016, 19:00h » 15 PLN

Screening „Rohschnitt Peter Brötzmann” (dir. Peter Sempel)
75th Birthday Party of Peter Brötzmann with Toshinori Kondo, Han Bennink, Steve Noble, Heather Leigh, John Edwards and Jason Adasiewicz

▌07.03.2016, 20:30h » 50 PLN

3 sets, each one about 30 min » including 2 „ad-hoc” sets and 1 set as follows: Peter Brötzmann / Jason Adasiewicz / John Edwards / Steve Noble

▌08.03.2016, 20:30h » 50 PLN

3 sets, each one about 30 min » including 2 „ad-hoc” sets and 1 set as follows: Peter Brötzmann & Heather Leigh Duo

▌09.03.2016, 20:30h » 50 PLN

3 sets, each one about 30 min » including 2 „ad-hoc” sets and 1 set as follows: Peter Brötzmann / Toshinori Kondo / Han Bennink / Alexander v. Schlippenbach

▌10.03.2016, 20:30h » 80 PLN

First set: Peter Brötzmann & Han Bennink
Second set: Peter Brötzmann / Toshinori Kondo / Han Bennink / Alexander von Schlippenbach / Heather Leigh / Steve Noble / Jason Adasiewicz / John Edwards

As great as the whole schedule is, the last two nights are priceless.

If I could have convinced my wife of that I would be flying out this weekend.

20 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

As great as the whole schedule is, the last two nights are priceless.

If I could have convinced my wife of that I would be flying out this weekend.

Yeah, agreed! Though as an ol' yurpeen I don't get to see Adasiewicz and consider Edwards/Noble one of today's prime rhythm sections, so the first night shall hopefully be just as priceless! Have seen Bennink and Schlippenbach (separately) in different contexts, but never yet Kondo!

14 hours ago, erwbol said:

Have a great time, Ubu!

Thanks! Just hope I won't bump into any effin' nazis ...

7 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Going to a Women's jazz festival called Lady Got Chops. It is run by an old friend, bassist Kim Clarke, and I promised her I'd go. She's playing with Sheryl Bailey, a guitarist...

Love Kim Clarke! Long time not heard anything by her, but with Defunkt she was great (only on record for me), and so she was when I saw her live the one time, with a Jimi Hendrix project headed by Christy Doran (g) and Fredy Studer (d), with singer Erika Stucky the fourth member ... quite a fun project, at least in concert it certainly was! (don't know the CD they released)

Considering this one ("Jazzstock" in Woodstock NY) in about 10 days:

7:30 pm:  JACK DEJOHNETTE Solo Piano! in celebration of his new solo piano recording

Jack DeJohnette: http://www.jackdejohnette.com/

8:00 pm:  TERRI LYNE CARRINGTON's MONEY JUNGLE! with Aaron Parks (piano), Mark Shim (saxophone), Zach Brown (bass)

Terri Lyne Carrington: http://www.terrilynecarrington.com/

Don't know much about Carrington, but should be OK (I hope...). Jack on solo piano ought to be interesting.

Edited by T.D.

p1685940558-3.jpg

At the Crucible Studio in Sheffield

Tony Kofi - alto; Alan Barnes - alto; John Turville - piano; Adam King - bass; Rod Youngs drums

Excellent evening of 'mainstream' jazz (though the couple next to me found it a bit too 'modern', a bit 'all the same' [I can recall finding jazz like that when I first heard it]). Mainly originals - blues, ballads, bossas. A really beautiful 'Isfahan' in the second half; and a playful 'If I Should Lose You' in the encore with the drummer playing eight bars and then calling in one of the others randomly to do eight; you could see the young bass player really having to rely on his reflexes but loving every minute and Turville launched into a wonderful stride passage which brought grins to all the musicians. A real sense throughout that the musicians were enjoying themselves...the audience certainly did.  

Two Nottingham lads aboard (Kofi, Turville) - what with Julian Siegel also coming from there, we'll soon be talking of the Nottingham school of jazz. 

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

p1685940558-3.jpg

Tony Kofi - alto; Alan Barnes - alto; John Turville - piano; Adam King - bass; Rod Youngs drums

Excellent evening of 'mainstream' jazz (though the couple next to me found it a bit too 'modern', a bit 'all the same' [I can recall finding jazz like that when I first heard it]). Mainly originals - blues, ballads, bossas. A really beautiful 'Isfahan' in the second half; and a playful 'If I Should Lose You' in the encore with the drummer playing eight bars and then calling in one of the others randomly to do eight; you could see the young bass player really having to rely on his reflexes but loving every minute and Turville launched into a wonderful stride passage which brought grins to all the musicians. A real sense throughout that the musicians were enjoying themselves...the audience certainly did.  

Two Nottingham lads aboard (Kofi, Turville) - what with Julian Siegel also coming from there, we'll soon be talking of the Nottingham school of jazz. 

:tup

7 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

p1685940558-3.jpg

Kofi is an impressive saxophonist.  A sometime member of the World Saxophone Quartet.   I've only seen him once with his quartet and once with David Murray's Big Band.  Nowhere near enough.  

sam-lee-4.jpg?w=477

Sam Lee at the Howard Assembly Rooms in Leeds

In a UK folk world that is currently swirling in confident new talent, Lee stands out as something different again. Spends much of his time collecting songs from the traveller communities of the UK and Ireland. All the songs tonight were from such sources. A wonderful voice, heavily ornamented with wonderful grace notes. But it's the backing that takes this somewhere else - a three man support band made up of percussion, fiddle and piano/six string ukulele and Mongolian dulcimer (Lee also plays a drone box and Jew's harp). Never used to lay down a rhythm but to provide a colouristic context for the songs, very free, almost improvisatory. 

Photographs always show Lee looking very serious but he was a cheery and very engaging stage personality. You felt he'd be happy to sit and tell you about his meetings with his song sources for hours. A really distinctive talent. 

Refreshing to attend a concert with music so open to the world given the daily blasts of xenophobic bile being hurled at us in the mainstream British press at present.