What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw the Vancouver symphony doing Brahms Double Concerto (Violin-Cello) and they did a very nice job. This may be the only time I've heard the composition live. Probably should have left at intermission. The VSO did a credible job on Sibelius' Legends Suite, but I don't think the piece is actually all that. So much bombast for so little effect. The English horn solo part is not completely without interest, I guess, and that sort of dominates the 2nd and 3rd part of the suite.

Thanks again to the Indian Classical Music Circle of DFW for a fabulous concert in Allen, Texas. Vishwa Mohan Bhaat on the Mohan Veena (a modified guitar sounding like a cross between a sitar and a guitar), and Subhen Chatterjee on tabla.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

MIKE REED’S PEOPLE, PLACES & THINGS
United Congregational Church - 300 Appleton St. - Holyoke, MA
Mike Reed’s People Places & Things includes Mike Reed, drums, Greg Ward, alto sax, Tim Haldeman, tenor sax and Jason Roebke, bass.

Pat Martino at Band on the Wall, Manchester

Yes, a great show! Highly technically proficient group of Martino (guitar), Pat Bianchi (organ) and Carmen Intorre (drums). Nice to hear the spirit of Charlie Christian still alive. They even played "Seven Come Eleven"!

Saw a few classical pieces by a subgroup of the VSO. There was a short 2-violin sonata by Prokofiev, followed by Bartok's Contrasts. Finally, the main event was a reduction of Shostakovich's 15th Symphony to a String Trio (with the piano player occasionally doubling on celeste!) and 3 percussionists. While this makes more sense than the piano transcription of Rite of Spring I saw back in Jan., it isn't entirely successful. The ending of the 3rd and 4th movement are pretty cool when the percussionists really get going, but during the slow sections (most of the 2nd) and the first part of the 3rd, there isn't enough energy in the piece when done primarily by the trio on their own. I'll have to listen to a full version of the symphony tomorrow. Still an interesting experiment, and it was worth going to check it out.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

MIKE REED’S PEOPLE, PLACES & THINGS

United Congregational Church - 300 Appleton St. - Holyoke, MA

Mike Reed’s People Places & Things includes Mike Reed, drums, Greg Ward, alto sax, Tim Haldeman, tenor sax and Jason Roebke, bass.

Very enjoyable performance last night. As expected the band performed compositions by Chicago fifties hard bop musicians as well as originals from within the group. An added delight was several tunes by Dutch composers Guus Jansen and Eric Boeren. Apparently, this winter People, Places & Things recorded with Dutch musicians for a later release and these tunes are on that release. the band has the right combination of structure/precision, and edginess that makes even fifties era tunes sound contemporary. Haldeman was particularly impressive displaying a wide range, good tone and strong technique. The sound in the church was a liitle muddy and Ward did not project as well (I think his sound is not as big to start), but overall very good performance. I was tempted to try to get permission to catch them tonight at Cornelia Street CAfe in NY, but just found out my wife has to work tonight. So no road trip for me today.

Next up Saturday night:

Saturday, May 25, 2013

WILLIAM PARKER - contrabass violin, shakuhachi, sinter ǀ JOE MORRIS - guitar ǀ STEPHEN HAYNES - cornet

IMPROVISATIONS

Real Art Ways - 56 Arbor Street – Hartford

Edited by relyles

Roy Haynes is back in town. It should be the usual great time. Roy is slowing down but can still swing like a mofo. My friend Bob is going to try and get Roy to sign a picture he took of Roy up in Rockport at the Shalin Liu Performing Arts Center.

attachicon.gifRoy Re-sized.jpg

Jimmy Cobb was just in my neck of the woods for a birthday celebration show at Smoke, but we weren't able to make it. But his appearance and Kevin's post makes me remember that it seems like great drummers tend to have great longevity both in life and careers. Or maybe it's just OUR great luck that Roy Haynes, Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb, Louis Bellson, Paul Motian and Chico Hamilton - all who did big things in the 1950's (Motian joined Bill Evans in 1959) - kept making fine music for decades afterwards - all of them in fact, still doin' it at the dawn of this millennium.

Edited by steve(thelil)