What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Frisell's multi-media "Kentucky Derby" by Hunter S. Thompson, produced by Hal Willner w/Tim Robbins & Chloe Webb........tomorrow.

Interesting show. Not exactly what I was expecting - not that I knew what to expect.

Basically a reading of an article for Scanlan's in the early 70's - considered the first instance of "gonzo" journalism.

Tim Robbins did a credible HST 'voice,' with Brad Hall as an occasional Ralph Steadman and Hall Willner & Chloe Webb filling in some other parts.

The music was mostly incidental/background to the performance (very tasteful, though) and Frisell did NOT perform at all. He 'conducted' the band and was the composer.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the Smetana Trio this afternoon. They played Dvorak's Dumky Trio and one of Brahms' piano trio. Really nice, though I came close to falling asleep -- it has been a really, really long week. For the encore, they played "Prelude and Waltz." I think this was by Nikita Koshkin, though I cannot verify that this piece was ever officially scored for piano trio. In any event, it was really nice, so I hope it ends up on one of their CDs some day. (It appears that pretty much their entire discography (with an earlier line-up) is on eMusic, and I'll probably dl at least a few of their recordings. Best of all, it had been raining much of the morning and early afternoon, but the sun came out at the end of the concert and we had a couple of hours of sunshine.

Edited by ejp626

Just picked up a couple of tix for this next Sunday. I have no idea what to expect, but tix weren't that expensive, and it's guaranteed to be "different".

SFJAZZ Center, Miner Auditorium
ARTIST PERSONNEL
Jason Moran piano
Tarus Mateen bass
Nasheet Waits drums
with special guest
Jeff Parker guitar
SKATEBOARDERS
Adrian Williams
Alex Wolslagel
Dave Abair
Jabari Pendleton
Ben Gore
Justin Gastelum
Billy Roper
Brian Downey

Craig Taborn Trio with Thomas Morgan and Gerald Cleaver @ Firehouse 12 in New Haven, CT.

Tonight at The Sahara Jazz Club in Methuen, MA, The Cryogenic Renaissance Orchestra, otherwise known as The Greg Hopkins Nonet will be on stage. Should be a great time. The cost? A whole $10. :)

Kevin

Is that Greg Hopkins the trumpeter? He performed in Hartford last Friday with Earl MacDonald and the Hartford Jazz Society's New Directions ensemble as a last minute replacement.

Craig Taborn Trio with Thomas Morgan and Gerald Cleaver @ Firehouse 12 in New Haven, CT.

Tonight at The Sahara Jazz Club in Methuen, MA, The Cryogenic Renaissance Orchestra, otherwise known as The Greg Hopkins Nonet will be on stage. Should be a great time. The cost? A whole $10. :)

Kevin

Is that Greg Hopkins the trumpeter? He performed in Hartford last Friday with Earl MacDonald and the Hartford Jazz Society's New Directions ensemble as a last minute replacement.

Yup. Trumpeter Greg Hopkins is a Professor of Jazz Composition at Berklee: http://www.berklee.edu/faculty/detail/greg-hopkins

I caught the 11 o'clock sets of Steve Kuhn with Buster Williams and Joey Baron at Birdland last Thursday and Friday, as well as the 7:30 set of George Coleman's Organ Quintet (w/ Mike LeDonne, Peter Bernstein, George Coleman, Jr. and Daniel Sadownick) at the Jazz Standard on Friday.