Christmas; What did you ask for?

Since my gift exhcnage with my better half is just a few hours away and Christmas Day in just around the corner; I thought I'd start a thread about what, if anything you received (in the event you exchange gifts).

It would be a first if I didn't receive a package from Mosaic for Christmas, as I have for the past dozen years. I'm sure I'll get a couple gift certificates for music as well. I actually asked for music/books and an i-pod (probably won't get it). We have a big family (I have six sister/zero brothers) as well as many brother-in-laws, nieces, nephews, in-laws and so forth. For my immediate family's Christmas, we each draw two names during the summer months and go from there.

I bought my girlfriend :wub: something that sparkles from Tiffanys (diamond earrings) and a digital camera plus a few other small items. I love Christmas and am always optimistic :) as the new year approaches!

.....more to come!

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Edited by sheldonm

Like Mark, I am certain to get a Mosaic set. However, I did not request other music but rather asked for any and all World Champion Boston Red Sox paraphernalia. So, the two DVDs (by MLB and NESN), a championship tee or two or three, a championship hat ... I'll finally be able to show my allegiance, two months after the championship (I only sprung for an ALCS Championship t-shirt afterwards, I figured I could wait til Christmas.

My wife already got a Miter Saw for her various house projects, but she's also getting quite a few books and DVDs, most of which she's anticipating but I always try to find something she'll like that she doesn't know about, and in that area, I've got an old Vincent Price DVD-The Last Man on Earth, from the Matheson story which was also made into the Chuck Heston flick, Omega Man. She :wub: Vincent Price in any horror movie, so I think she'll be really pleased with it (and it was in the 1$ bin at Target!). I also got her the Clapton guitar festival DVD that was mentioned here recently.

Merry Christmas to everybody!

From my wife I'm likely to get a Mac lap top. I didn't ask for it, but she wants me to have one. It will happen AFTER Xmas as we've been busy lately and haven't been able to order or pick one up. Likewise she's asked me for a digital camera and not told me what one she wants yet, so after Xmas it will be!

I never get music from any of my family. . . they figure I have that covered. :angry:

this was my realistic list (the real one had the Ayler & Seven steps box on)

Miles IOW DVD

1.Brotzmann/McPhee/Kessler/Zerang - Tales Out of Time

2.Cecil Taylor - The owner of the river bank

3.Andrew Hill - Dance with Death

4.Blakey, Art : Free For All

5.Henderson, Joe : In N' Out

6.Hubbard, Freddie : Blue Spirits

Well, I asked myself for getting the Free America series, and miraculously got the whole 15 last week :g

Seriously: wishes that will be fulfilled (or at least I still think so at this moment) are the Ray Charles/Milt Jackson 2CD and the Norman Granz Jam Sessions set.

Oh, and reading Gary's post -- in november already I felt like wishing an x-mas gift from myself, and in early december, again miraculously I got the Seven Steps Miles box... (though my bank account DOES take notice, it seems :w ).

ubu

I never get music from any of my family. . . they figure I have that covered. :angry:

Lon, same problem here, usually, but this year both my girlfriend (Charles/Jackson) and my sister (Granz box) wanted me to wish something (I'll get more non-music stuff from my girlfriend, for sure, too), thus I'll be having a very very nice x-mas this year!

I asked my wife for the Morgenstern, new Shelock Holmes collection and Le Carre's Tinker, Taylor DVD (I've always loved LeCarre and wanted this one for years). Actually no CDs this year. I've gotten enough, thank you (for now anyway).

World peace would be nice. How many more must die and not see another Christmas?

I know there's at least one piece of vinyl under the tree for me to open up tomorrow. A King pressing of Bobby Hutcherson's 'Oblique'. There's also a Bud Powell 'Complete Verve' CD set.

I'm pretty sure there's also a copy of Larry Kart's book in the gift pile. Looking forward to reading that one !

Was also hoping that the Krupa/James Mosaic set would arrive by this week but it looks as if it is still stuck in a slow boat. Ah well... :rsly:

Edited by sidewinder

Amazon.de kindly delivered my xmas pressie from my wife, last week. I haven't been allowed to see it yet but I do know it's a certain mammoth December live set which has been affectionately referred to as 'the death of jazz'. :D

Thats strange If its the same set I think you are refering to I call it 'Wayneshorterplayslikeabadassmotherfucker'

Amazon.de kindly delivered my xmas pressie from my wife, last week. I haven't been allowed to see it yet but I do know it's a certain mammoth December live set which has been affectionately referred to as 'the death of jazz'. :D

Thats strange If its the same set I think you are refering to I call it 'Wayneshorterplayslikeabadassmotherfucker'

Bit of a case of: "I want tha'one..."

As is my custom, I asked for nothing specific. However, my loved ones know me well enough every year to gift me with things that show me that they actually pay attention to what I do for work and relaxation and gift me perfectly. In years past, they have replaced my duct-taped tripod, fixed my spare camera, found rare vinyl and CD's and books they knew I would enjoy. They have also given me things which I would never have dared ask for, but loved. I don't know how they do it, but every year, they do.

I must confess that if someone who feels close enough to me to give me a gift gives me something that doesn't reflect me, I wonder what they were thinking? I know it's not fair, but I'm spoiled by those who know me well.

Whatever I am given, it will be an adventure opening whatever gifts are for me. :wub:

There is a no sqeezing, shaking or lifting to test heft rule always in place.;)

Edited by patricia

Bit of a case of: "I want tha'one..."

:D

So I did get the Granz Jam Sessions box last night! Wow, what a nice one! Except for the backside being open, it's done really really nice, in my opinion!

ubu

Got that one too!

Santa Claus took goot note of jazz wants I included in my Christmas wish list.

That plus Larry Kart's book. Which I wll sip and enjoy slowly...

Also got an unrequested - happy surprise - JSP box: 'Cajun Early Recordings'. That one put me on a great mood right away.

My wife and I have very fond memories of the few days we spent in Cajun territory back in 1976 when we did a trip across the USA. Stayed in Lafayette and spent a full day having the time of our live at a cajun festival in Lake Charles.