Sonny Rollins

Alexander Hawkins

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonny Rollins with Henri Grimes and Pete LaRoca play 'Weaver of Dreams' in Laren, Holland, in early 1959

Fabulous piece of video...

My Rollins disco sources do not show a Laren date in the '59 tour. I do show a 2/21/59 date in Amersterdam at the Singer Concertzaal with Art Taylor on drums. That's the only concert I show with "Weaver of Dreams". Can anyone clarify? Bownie, can you doublecheck?

Sonny Rollins with Henri Grimes and Pete LaRoca play 'Weaver of Dreams' in Laren, Holland, in early 1959

My Rollins disco sources do not show a Laren date in the '59 tour. I do show a 2/21/59 date in Amersterdam at the Singer Concertzaal with Art Taylor on drums. That's the only concert I show with "Weaver of Dreams". Can anyone clarify? Bownie, can you doublecheck?

The same video is also on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4LBDbcCR-E

I have no reason to doubt the accompanying description:

29 year old Sonny Rollins with just bass and drums is playing "Weaver of Dreams" in the Netherlands in the Singer Theatre in the small town of Laren in 1959. A Dutch collector was able to make me some unique video clips.

In one of the opening shot of the video, there is a poster hanging in the background which announces concerts by Horace Silver and Sonny Rollins who were touring Europe at the time. Saw both Silver and Rollins at the Club Saint-Germain in Paris in early 1959.

I have no reason to doubt the accompanying description:

29 year old Sonny Rollins with just bass and drums is playing "Weaver of Dreams" in the Netherlands in the Singer Theatre in the small town of Laren in 1959. A Dutch collector was able to make me some unique video clips.

Singer Theatre probably equals Singer Concertzaal. The only questions then would be what Laren's relationship is with Amsterdam and whether or not it's LaRoca or Taylor on the drums. Can anyone identify the drummer from the video?

Singer Theatre probably equals Singer Concertzaal. The only questions then would be what Laren's relationship is with Amsterdam and whether or not it's LaRoca or Taylor on the drums. Can anyone identify the drummer from the video?

I am positive it is LaRoca. The Rollins trio (with Grimes and LaRoca) played at the Club Saint-Germain in Paris from February 23 to 29. Heard them twice there.

Laren is a city north of Amsterdam. The Singer concerthall in Laren

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got this new release email from Amazon. An interesting compilation of his Europe appearances, but kind of a strange description. And what's up with the spelling?

"Soneymoon"? WTF? :blink:

Soneymoon

Sonny Rollins

Release Date: October 2, 2007

Album Details

This Amazing Double Album Collects Some of the Best Sessions from the Height of the European ‘season of Jazz’ When Many of the Best American Jazzmen Sought and Found Refuge and Comfort in the Smoky Dark Venues of Existentialist Mitteleuropa, Away from the High Tension of the Violent Civil Rights Battles Raging Back Home. Recorded Between 1963 and 1966, These Live Gigs Performed by the Sonny Rollins/Don Cherry Quartet (Paris, January, 1963); The Sonny Rollins Quintet with Members of the Modern Jazz Quartet (Berlin, Oct. 30, 1965); And the Sonny Rollins Trio (Graz, Austria, Nov. 12, 1966) Showcase the Magnificent Sounds that Made Rollins One of the Top Horn Players of his Day and One of the Most Interesting, Prolific, and Long-lasting Jazz Icons of all Time.

EDIT: BTW, the label is "Get Back Italy". Hmmm.......

Edited by Free For All

I got this new release email from Amazon. An interesting compilation of his Europe appearances, but kind of a strange description. And what's up with the spelling?

"Soneymoon"? WTF? :blink:

Soneymoon

Sonny Rollins

Album Details

This Amazing Double Album Collects Some of the Best Sessions from the Height of the European ‘season of Jazz’ When Many of the Best American Jazzmen Sought and Found Refuge and Comfort in the Smoky Dark Venues of Existentialist Mitteleuropa, Away from the High Tension of the Violent Civil Rights Battles Raging Back Home. Recorded Between 1963 and 1966, These Live Gigs Performed by the Sonny Rollins/Don Cherry Quartet (Paris, January, 1963); The Sonny Rollins Quintet with Members of the Modern Jazz Quartet (Berlin, Oct. 30, 1965); And the Sonny Rollins Trio (Graz, Austria, Nov. 12, 1966) Showcase the Magnificent Sounds that Made Rollins One of the Top Horn Players of his Day and One of the Most Interesting, Prolific, and Long-lasting Jazz Icons of all Time.

I ordered a copy from cduniverse. Im in for any live Sonny

I got this new release email from Amazon. An interesting compilation of his Europe appearances...

Soneymoon

Sonny Rollins

Album Details

This material has been booted before. The 1/19/63 Paris date came out on lp on Unique Jazz and on cd on Magnetic and JazzUp (there may be more). I believe the Berlin set is partly on Unique Jazz UJ 29, though the lp lists Kenny Drew on piano rather than John Lewis. The trio portion of the Graz concert was split between that album and Jazz Connoisseur JC 108. The description of the new release sounds like straight up boot speech to me. The question is what is the source material and sound quality. The JazzUp releases were barely listenable. Also, the Graz concert came out a step or half step fast, presumably so they could fit tracks on one side of an lp. It will be interesting to see whether the Graz portion of the new release has the same problem. If it does, that suggests a needle drop.

Speed problems aside, the version of "Lover" from Graz comes as close as anything ever does to being my favorite Rollins solo. For those unfamiliar with this material, it should be noted that it is not just any trio. The drummer is Max Roach and the performance of Max's own group from the same Graz date has also been preserved. It would seem that Max's group would perform and then Max's horn players and pianist would leave the stage and Sonny would do a set with Max and Jimmy Meritt. There are also recordings of the trio on the same tour from Paris and Copenhagen and a quartet performance that includes Roach's pianist, Ronnie Matthews, from Reading University in England. Spectacular stuff.

I got this new release email from Amazon. An interesting compilation of his Europe appearances...

Soneymoon

Sonny Rollins

Album Details

This material has been booted before. The 1/19/63 Paris date came out on lp on Unique Jazz and on cd on Magnetic and JazzUp (there may be more). I believe the Berlin set is partly on Unique Jazz UJ 29, though the lp lists Kenny Drew on piano rather than John Lewis. The trio portion of the Graz concert was split between that album and Jazz Connoisseur JC 108. The description of the new release sounds like straight up boot speech to me. The question is what is the source material and sound quality. The JazzUp releases were barely listenable. Also, the Graz concert came out a step or half step fast, presumably so they could fit tracks on one side of an lp. It will be interesting to see whether the Graz portion of the new release has the same problem. If it does, that suggests a needle drop.

Speed problems aside, the version of "Lover" from Graz comes as close as anything ever does to being my favorite Rollins solo. For those unfamiliar with this material, it should be noted that it is not just any trio. The drummer is Max Roach and the performance of Max's own group from the same Graz date has also been preserved. It would seem that Max's group would perform and then Max's horn players and pianist would leave the stage and Sonny would do a set with Max and Jimmy Meritt. There are also recordings of the trio on the same tour from Paris and Copenhagen and a quartet performance that includes Roach's pianist, Ronnie Matthews, from Reading University in England. Spectacular stuff.

I got my copy two days ago and it sounds very good. I dont think this is a needle drop, the source is obviously not a professional recording, but it sounds very, very good all things consider. I am happy I got this one and have been playing it a lot.

I cant comment on whether the speed is off or not. I didnt notice anything weird tough.

• 1 year later...

I've only heard one cut on the radio (Tenor Madness from 2000) and was underwhelmed. I don't know who picked these cuts, but there must be hundreds of better ones to choose from. It's one of those performances that are deceiving; Sonny is playing his ass off and saying nothing at the same time.

And why, in God's name, does he carry a percussionist around? Especially on the ballads!