David Murray

Alon Marcus

Yes, Relyles, I remember that performance and that review. I didn't use the word "crap," though -- couldn't in a newspaper, at least not back then -- but I might have if I could. Heard him again a few years later in NYC at Sweet Basil with his Octet and had the same reaction. Interestingly, perhaps, I spoke after the last set to a member of the band, an older veteran saxophonist whose work I like, and he made it pretty clear (he brought this up himself) that his opinion of the leader, musically, was not favorable.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I introduced myself, he quoted, word for word from memory, a paragraph I'd written in praise of him almost 20 years before in a review for Down Beat of a Chicago performance by the Freddie Hubbard Quintet. This was quite surprising and pleasing to me, but it also made me feel a bit blue, as though he'd kept those words pressed in his memory book, so to speak, because in the intervening years he hadn't received that many other words of the same kind.

I discovered DM for myself in 1988. Ballads on DIW was my intro and I was swept away. Other strong DIWs and Blacksaints followed. Plus a whole load of cutout vinyls.

In the last 10 years or so despite seeing Murray live I really haven't had the interest in what he's playing and find my self easily bored. Perhaps too much of the same thing is bad for the soul. Curiously I don't seem to have that problem with Lee Konitz or Lee Morgan, must be a David Murray thing.

"what kind of a great anybody includes himself in a list of great anybodies ?

well, the massively talented Edmundo proclaimed himself the greatest soccer player in the world ... but that guy is a fucking prick."

well, than, I'm in good company - and I can kick a soccer ball 190 miles -

Yes, Relyles, I remember that performance and that review. I didn't use the word "crap," though -- couldn't in a newspaper, at least not back then -- but I might have if I could. Heard him again a few years later in NYC at Sweet Basil with his Octet and had the same reaction. Interestingly, perhaps, I spoke after the last set to a member of the band, an older veteran saxophonist whose work I like, and he made it pretty clear (he brought this up himself) that his opinion of the leader, musically, was not favorable.

If it was in deed Mr. Spaulding I wonder why he continued to play in the Octet for so long? For what it is worth, I loved James Spauldings' contribution to the Octet. I had a brief conversation with him at the Litchfield Jazz Festival a couple of years ago and found him to be a very gracious and warm person. Definately, an underappreciated master. I have tried to purchase just about all of his recordings as a leader and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Cross post from the Live Shows folder.....

I just got an email from Jamaaladeen.....

Five Spot

1 South Bank Street

Philadelphia, PA 19106-2803

(215) 574-0070

Tenor Saxophonist, composer and Grammy Award Winner David Murray will

be performing this Thursday June 8th at "The Five Spot" in Philadelphia

along with world class bassist Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Drummer Lee Pearson (Roy

Ayers, Erika Badu, Lauren HIll). Show time is 9:00 P.M. and admission is $10.00.

This is a rare performance of David Murray in the Philadelphia area.

Jamaaladeen has been touring with David Murray collaborating on his

West African Feduek Revue , Gwo Ka Masters Creole project and currently

touring with the World Saxophone Quartet performing the music of Jimi Hendrix. David

and Jamaaladeen just finished a new recording project for the World

Saxophone Quartet on Justin Time Records entitled: "POLITICAL BLUES" . This evening is

being propelled by the production company "SNEAKIN UP ON YA PRODUCTIONS" .

It's a great pleasure to host David Murray here in Philadelphia along with

Jamaaladeen Tacuma on bass and Lee Pearson on Drums. There will be an appearance by

a very special guest. :huh: If you're in the know, you know that this show will be one of the

hottest creative performances this summer. Don't miss it.

I'm glad this thread kept going - as, until I read about it here, I was certain that James Spaulding was dead - which he apparently is not - and I for one am glad to hear it -

Mr. Spaulding is still very much alive and performing last I heard - in particular in and around Brooklyn.

I'm glad this thread kept going - as, until I read about it here, I was certain that James Spaulding was dead - which he apparently is not - and I for one am glad to hear it -

Mr. Spaulding is still very much alive and performing last I heard - in particular in and around Brooklyn.

Check out his newest release -- Round To It Vol. 2 -- recorded live at Brooklyn's Up Over Jazz Café.

Edited by 47 West 63rd N.Y.C.

• 2 weeks later...

I very much like Ming, and am waiting for an order that includes Home. I've heard only a few other things, but I guess, so far, I like Murray best in that octet formation. (Nothing wrong with that, as far as I can tell!)

I just listened to Ming for the first time. More mainstream than what I was expecting, but sounds pretty good. I have Murray's Steps lying around and I'll probably give it a listen next month. If I like these then I'll be on the lookout for Home.

Guy

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Decided to find this and up it due to the 17 David Murray Black Saints that just appeared on eMusic. I already have Ming and am headed for The Hill and The Healers this evening. I do have mixed feelings, but am ready to explore some more. DeJohnette's Special Edition and Ming are good stuff, but I didn't get Murray much when he first started recording.

Decided to find this and up it due to the 17 David Murray Black Saints that just appeared on eMusic. I already have Ming and am headed for The Hill and The Healers this evening. I do have mixed feelings, but am ready to explore some more. DeJohnette's Special Edition and Ming are good stuff, but I didn't get Murray much when he first started recording.

Who knew there were 17!? I've got or had quite a few. The Hill and Ming are pretty representative. Didn't go much for The Healers. There are some good octet recordings with Henry Threadgill among others, but you get less solo Murray for your money. Morning Song and Sweet Lovely also good (IIRC). Maybe that's enough?

I went through a period where I really dug Murray and bought bunches of his discs, then I got caught up in the backlash and didn't listen to him much at all. But "white critics darling" or not, the dude can play. You oughta listen to a few of his albums. Some great shit there.

I went through a period where I really dug Murray and bought bunches of his discs, then I got caught up in the backlash and didn't listen to him much at all. But "white critics darling" or not, the dude can play. You oughta listen to a few of his albums. Some great shit there.

pretty much the same here for me. Rarely listen now .. I'll dig out Ballads for Bass clarinet tonight

I was speaking to a well known Coltrane-linked saxophonist who was saying the other day he thought David Murray was a complete white critics darling joke who couldn't play at all. I'm passing no judgement myself as I've never heard his music.

He was championed at one time especially by Stanley Crouch.