Anonymity

Ted O'Reilly

My parents should have just named me "Jim."

277-758.jpg

On every other board I've ever been on I've used my real name in some form (shortened first, proper first, shortened first and last) but for some reason when I came here I wanted to use "jazzbo". . . was feeling fun to discover this place and I just have let that stay. My grandfather was a banjo player in the teens and twenties and I always liked this mechanical toy from pictures, racist as it may be construed. (I'M no racist, I just like the image and vibe I get from it of itinerant seat of the pants life; I've had my share of that). Most here know that I'm "Lon Armstrong" and I'll reveal it to anyone who asks.

Really after the huge JCS broohaha (I had someone sending me nasty messages about ten times a day during that time and posting ridiculous things about me including that I "smelled like poopoo!") (how could they know?) :wacko: and subsequent scuffles on other boards I fully understand why others have used handles for security reasons. By the same token, using my real name in one form or another has brought me many benefits in friends and rareties and companionship and sympathy and opportunity.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can find out who I am easily enough--in fact, you can find out more about me than you'd ever want to know just by looking at my profile.

The reason I don't post under my own name is that, frankly, in a day with powerful search engines like Google, I don't want every word I write to come back to haunt me. I am in a public position--I run a public radio station--and I don't need people digging up stuff I write here as a stick to beat me with at my job.

The alternative to anonymity is people not posting. I suppose boards like this are for people who like communicating, not for people who throw letters away.

--eric

I do have more respect for the words of someone who is not being anonymous - and I think there is a difference between "not being anonymous" and "using one's real name" - but on the other hand I know the real names of four of the worst bottom-dwellers on the jazz bulletin board circuit and that does absolutely nothing in terms of improving the crap they have spewed.

Honestly, unless I know someone's real name, his identity is forgettable to me. For whatever that's worth. I am infinitely more likely to remember a real name than a "handle". Sorry, but that's how it is for me.

Mike

Claude: "But if the same person participates elsewhere in a discussion on marriage problems, what does it add to the discussion if he is identified as a famous jazz musician?"

It could have added a lot to the discussion if that musician was Artie Shaw.

I think it's okay to use a handle, but I hate it when posters use the actual name of a well-known person--I don't see that as a tribute. "Gene Harris Fanatic" was fine, I thought, but if a poster is going to insult or call fellow posters names, I think they should do so under their true identity.

I also was a disc jockey for several years, and a radio station manager after that, so I have received my share of venomous letters--they were almost always unsigned and sans return address. That made them easy to disregard, I feel the same way about posters who spew their venom from behind a pseudonym.

Here, at O, most people who use a handle are not hiding. When I began posting--years ago on a board far, far away--I called myself "Chris A," but only because I thought "Chris Albertson" was too long. However, I never tried to hide my identity; I knew that--the board being devoted to jazz--some posters might have come across my name, but I didn't want that to limit me when it came to expressing my opinion. I only changed it to "Christiern" (the actual spelling of my given name) when Organissimo went down and I no longer could sign on as Chris A.

In short, I feel that some instances call for using one's real name (if one wishes to be taken seriously), and others where it really doesn't make a difference. When I know someone's name and see that they never use it in a post, I respect that.

Fred Nurdley

I've actually considered using my real name, but then nobody would know who I am. ;)

I'm also a little nervous in this enlightened age of free speech that things I've said here may be found through search engines and used against me. I am considering changing my handle to Jeff B, though.

Also, I'm not hiding myself from anyone. Just click on my webpage link and you'll know enough about me.

I've actually considered using my real name, but then nobody would know who I am. ;)

That'd be my problem too.

Most of the regulars around here know me by name (or at least my first name). And many of us have even posted pictures of ourselves on the board too.

I've had the "Rooster_Ties" handle for close to 5 years now, and it seems kinda silly to change it now, after all these years. Like Jeff said, then nobody would know who I was!! :P

I have no issues with someone using a handle and don't think it has anything to do with one telling the truth or standing behind what they say. Although I hate it when DJs do it ;) .

BTW, my name is Mark Sheldon (sheldonm)!

Edited by sheldonm

A name, a face etc is just I guess we sometimes may need to know what lies behind the face and the name. To do this may require a little effort.

Che.

When I know someone's name and see that they never use it in a post, I respect that.

This is a lie and we both know it. You are a perfect example of why people choose to be anonymous. You have hounded me for years to identify myself and you have tried to out me when you thought you knew my real name.

People are free to call themselves whatever they choose but I think it is particularly dangerous for women to identify themselves online. I don't mind people using psuedonyms. What I find annoying is people who engage in an obvious alter ego online. I'm surrounded with enough phonies and poseurs in my "offline" life.

There are some very interesting points of view expressed in this thread. I'm not inclined to take a hard stance, and my handle probably reflects that.

I do want to say that I hope Ted O'Reilly- whom I know to be a very experienced person in the jazz field- will stay and pick his spots, despite some of the opinions that are in conflict with his (and despite the occasional fool that he is bound to encounter). The internet world is far from perfect, but it can be very worthwhile if one has the patience and ability to ignore, which will likely always be necessary for many of us.

Edited by Jim R

There are some very interesting points of view expressed in this thread. I'm not inclined to take a hard stance, and my handle probably reflects that.

I do want to say that I hope Ted O'Reilly- whom I know to be a very experienced person in the jazz field- will stay and pick his spots, despite some of the opinions that are in conflict with his (and despite the occasional fool that he is bound to encounter). The internet world is far from perfect, but it can be very worthwhile if one has the patience and ability to ignore, which will likely always be necessary for many of us.

I enjoyed reading this post ;)

Che.

Wow, I never would have thought that a late-night musing would have elicited this much response. Thank you. There have been some exceptional remarks pro and con, and I now have a good idea why some use 'alternative IDs'.

Further, I guess I'm a pretty naive 64 year-old: I never considered that stalking and threats would come from merely expressing a differing opinion.

I never wished to suggest that using a 'handle' would mean that people wouldn't be honest in their opinion, but that using a real name might in fact lead one to be a little more rational and responsible in expressing it. It's one thing to remark "I, Ted O'Reilly think that (INSERT ARTIST NAME) is a musician who plays out of tune, and has no originality", and another to say "I ('handle') heard that ugly MF stole his horn from an out-of-work widowed pensioner, AND he smells bad! And don't you dare disagree with me!!!"

Jazzbo's signature line is a good one...

I'm going to have to learn how to use those smiley things in order to insert some expression.... It's hard to convey a lot without using a tone of voice, as I've been doing for over forty years.

Ah, yes. "Web chat" is a language all it's own, much different than English and filled with all sorts of different nuances. It does take a while to get used to it.

btw, welcome Ted - or whoever you really are... :P

I hope you stick around Ted, it's a fascinating place!

There are some very good people here, from all ends of just about any spectrum you can envision. Most of us seem to be pretty consistent in our comments, statements, responses, etc (i hope i can include myself in that!!).

I can get a sense of who Jazzmoose, Jazzbo, and Jazz Kat are, just by being here and being involved, as much as I get a sense of who people are who are using their real names as their identities - like Chuck, Peter Johnson, and Kevin B. And I can definitely see consistent arguments/stances between Johnny E. and Weizen, though one uses his name and the other uses a pseudonym. I don't get the sense that anyone's statements are held to different standards due to their logon "handle".

I've traded, purchased and/or sold cd's with a number of folks here, and have known many of them through this bulletin board and the previous ones for over 4 years. I just recently stuck my first name down at the bottom of my posts, but never tried to hide it from anyone.

I think you'll enjoy it here if you give us a chance!

I'm going to have to learn how to use those smiley things in order to insert some expression....  It's hard to convey a lot without using a tone of voice, as I've been doing for over forty years.

Ah, yes. "Web chat" is a language all it's own, much different than English and filled with all sorts of different nuances. It does take a while to get used to it.

btw, welcome Ted - or whoever you really are... :P

Tell me about it ;)

Che.