What Are You Watching

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think it's a SJW's wet dream, but I'm interested to see where it goes. 

I need to see it again to figure out everything that's going on. Like read up on the actual Tulsa race massacre and spot references to the comic which I haven't read in years.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

Like read up on the actual Tulsa race massacre...

I used to work with a lady whose grandparents were directly impacted by that event. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Beyond ugly. You can't make it too ugly how all that went down, no matter how ugly you make it, it will not be as ugly as the reality.

And still less than 100 years ago, Babe Ruth was playing with the Yankees. Glory days.

Longview, Texas, right in the middle of the area in which I grew up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longview_race_riot

I did not learn about this until years after leaving the area. Nobody talked about it. Nobody. Not even the 2-3 Klan members I worked with in the oil field for a few summer jobs (yes, Klan members). But there it was, there it is. And I'm sure that there were plenty of people who knew about it. They just didn't talk about it.

This stuff is barely 100 years ago, sometimes less than that. There are people alive today, like my former co-worker, who have lived with first-hand accounts of stuff like this being a part of their family narrative. Families who had their lives literally stolen from them ("Black Wall Street", it wasn't just a massacre, it was over, crude, basic piracy) It was real then, and it's real now.

We need to get this out in the open and process it in full, once and for all. If some people get butthurt, so be it.

When I read about this some years ago I could not help wondering what the finer points of the lyrics of Bob Wills' "Take Me Back to Tulsa" may have been ... What did Johnny Duncan do when singing about "getting off on Archer" and walking "down to Greenwood"? (I hope it's all as innocent as it sounds - because musically it IS a great tune ...)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

14 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

When I read about this some years ago I could not help wondering what the finer points of the lyrics of Bob Wills' "Take Me Back to Tulsa" may have been ... What did Johnny Duncan do when singing about "getting off on Archer" and walking "down to Greenwood"? (I hope it's all as innocent as it sounds - because musically it IS a great tune ...)

Bob Wills was never "innocent"!

http://thislandpress.com/2011/02/10/take-me-back-to-tulsa-turns-70/

http://stateofthereunion.com/tulsa-ok-reconciliation-way/

Seen from that angle - yes ... Subtle and subversive ... probably ... but would you be surprised if this were turned the other way round today?

You can find odd stuff on the web and everything seems to have been evoked before (and some of it can give you the creeps):
https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3744745/posts

But be advised that you are on the verge of turning this into a political thread ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I don't think Bob Wills was being malevolent in any way. He was just signifying that people got together in spite of what was "supposed" to be.

Now, under what conditions who was able to go where and what happened when they did, that's a different subject, but that's not political, that's just reality.

As far as Bob Wills' innocence...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/the-texanist-bob-wills-played-what/

Yeah, sure, :g

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

:g

I first heard the Hoyle Nix version (the original version on a String WS V.A: reissue) some 40+ years ago and the spelling "BIG BALL'S ..." made it all perfectly clear. Anybody who thinks differently is invited to comment on what "we'll all go down" would mean, then ... Drop with exhaustion after the act? :D
The point about Texas country music being much more progressive than the Nashville variety seems a good one to me, FWIW ...

I heard/played the song many times before seeing the title in written/printed form. I find it impossible to believe that the verbal ambiguity was not intentional, or at the very least, fully innocent. I mean BIG BALLS/BALL'S IN COWTOWN (in all caps b/c nobody whispers that lyric, ok?), there's no way to sing an apostrophe. :g :g :g

You can't sing an apostrophe in ANY song lyrics, not just this. ;)

Even if it was (intentionally) ambiguous (called "double entendre" as of the 50s), then so be it. Signs of the times too. And not for the worse IMHO. Because it was a play on words, not least of all about human nature as it was and still is. After all this was music from a niche market that was certainly far more open in what its target audience considered "acceptable" (tolerable, anyway) than what dreamy-colored mainstream pop for white suburban middle-class consumption (of those times) was. And compared to the lyrics of MANY an R&B tune this (potential) "ambiguity" was NOTHING. So no big deal overall IMHO, because it needs to be seen in its proper context.

20 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

After all this was music from a niche market that was certainly far more open in what its target audience considered "acceptable" (tolerable, anyway) than what dreamy-colored mainstream pop for white suburban middle-class consumption (of those times) was...

and yet, if this is not a sex record, nothing is:

Big balls/ball's in other places that Cowtown...

I just returned from a music documentary festival, where I saw It must schwing The Blue Note story. It's basically a tribute to Lion and Wolff, but it's also a very good story from the beginnings in Berlin to the final sale to Liberty. Nothing else. So it's just the story of the label that was. And it features the story nicely. Produced by Wim Wenders.

And also featuring, I remember now, the last interview with RVG.

Edited by Bluesnik

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Worlds  One Planet  BBC

Image result for one planet seven worlds bbc tv"

Time to trawl the Thesaurus for new superlative adjectives.

Gobsmacking photography. The South America programme was especially amazing.

On 03/11/2019 at 8:30 AM, Brad said:

My favorite movie of all time. 

I'd certainly put it in the top ten best films ever.