Who are you just "discovering"?

Templejazz

I enjoy reading about the evolution of others' musical tastes, if that makes any sense.

There are artists that I've listened to for several years whose work I'm sure others are not familiar with. On the flip side, there also many, many artists whose work I'm not familiar with that other people could introduce me to.

Here's a few people whose work I'm just starting to delve into...

Yusef Lateef - his output seems to be very varied, rooted in hard bop with some world music tinges and some explorative qualities. Having played oboe in my double reeds woodwind class I know how difficult jazz playing could be on this instrument. I'm enjoying 'Eastern Sounds' 'The Centaur and the Phoenix' and 'Live at Pep's' Fine stuff.

Joe Farrell - His work on Dance with Death prompted me to pick up his Sonic Text. I like it. Great cast of musicians, great playing all round. I dig the fusion elements. I would like to get more of his work, both as a leader and sideman.

John Patton - His playing on Blues for Lou KILLS and I recently picked up Boogaloo, which has seen time in my changer a lot recently. I still need to pick up his other available BNs.

So what has caught your ear lately, making you think, "I need to listen to more of THIS"? :rsmile:

The cats from the "downtown" scene have been a revelation to me recently. David S Ware, Matthew Shipp, William Parker...all those guys. Very great stuff.

Although I've had some of his stuff for years, I'm only really now just starting to understand Sonny Rollins. What an amazing musician. I don't know where he comes up with that stuff.

And of course, Randy Weston, Bennie Green, and Carmell Jones have been beautiful discoveries, thanks to Mosaic.

Ah, Lateef. . . I began seriously listening to him about ten years ago . . . I think his roots go a bit before hardbop, in the bop and swing world. . . though he came to his own in the hardbop era as a part of "other tributaries". .. Mingus and his own fusion of world sounds and bop and swing. . .

His Savoy stuff is what I like the most, especially "Prayer to the East"---that tenor solo on "Lover Man" is among my very favorite tenor solos.

I've been getting into Brazilian music (mainly bossa nova) a lot thanks to encouragement and guidance and resources from JimR. And I've finally gotten around to the Lunceford Orchestra as a study. . . wow.

Mine's a bit of an obvious one - Art Pepper , i recently bought the Galaxy box without knowing any of his recordings , i've only played the first 2 discs & I'm hooked .

All the Mosaic selects have been new artists to me & i've thoroughly enjoyed all 4 boxes .

I've just bought my first Sam Rivers & second Larry Young CDs - I definately want to hear more of these two artists.

Well, it's not jazz, but I've really been digging The Band lately. I've got "Music From The Big Pink", "Stage Fright" and "Cahoots", and love the harmonies and songwriting on all three of them. I'm sure I'll be getting more soon.

I've been getting into two bands from the Matador label lately.

Dead Meadow is a pretty heavy band with a good, hard psychadelic sound. The guitar tone is unparralleled in this day and age. Big fuzz and smart use of the wah pedal. You can check out some free mp3s here:

Dead Meadow mp3s

Pretty Girls Make Graves is the other. A very different sound than Dead Meadow, but just as appealing to me. Check them out here:

Pretty Girls Make Graves mp3s

While you're there, check out some of the other mp3s they have available for download. Matador has always been a consistent indie rock label. I trust their taste like I trust Blue Note's during the 1950s and 60s!

Well, it's not jazz, but I've really been digging The Band lately. I've got "Music From The Big Pink", "Stage Fright" and "Cahoots", and love the harmonies and songwriting on all three of them. I'm sure I'll be getting more soon.

Somehow you missed my favorite - their 2nd record called simply The Band. I fell in love with it as a new vinyl release, and play the cd at least once a year.

I've been re-discovering The Band lately. I liked them when I was very young, and I am finding that I still really like their albums. I might have to pick up some of the remasters.

I just got a King Oliver cd in the mail. It's my first exposure to his music. I'm not in a big rush to get a lot more, but I really like having this disc in my collection.

I also finally heard a Stefon Harris-led date (Black Action Figures). I really expected to like it, and I really didn't. I found it a little too easy on the ears for my tastes - not "smooth" per se, but a little on the bland side.

I also just picked up "Mysterious Traveler". So far (I've only listened to it twice) I like it about 10000000000 times more than Heavy Weather, but it's still not really my favorite thing in the world (10000000000 times a very small number is still pretty small). I do, however, have a feeling that this album might grow on me, and when I have that feeling I'm usually right.

Templejazz, for some more Joe Farrell, you should check out the first two Return To Forever albums. That was where I discovered him. Also his first CTI album "Joe Farrell Quartet" is a minor classic in my view.

For those who are checking out The Band, you should definitely have "Rock of Ages" - the live album. It's a great recording. The new-ish re-release has a second disk of additional music including a few tunes with Dylan.

EMusic has opened up a huge world of stuff for me. It's such a great resource of music to explore without the committment of spending $15 on a CD. Some of the artists that I have been able to really get into as a result are: Booker Ervin, Sonny Criss, Eric Kloss, Curtis Counce, Phineas Newborn, Jr., Joe Henderson (the Milestone years), early Pat Martino, the great Wes Montgomery sessions on Riverside, Tadd Dameron, Jimmy Heath, Blue Mitchell..........whew.....I could go on and on.

• 3 weeks later...

... speaking of EMusic.

I just discovered "The Lyres". A GREAT punk/garage band from the late 70's/early 80's. If you like the sound of The Seeds, ? and the Mysterians, The Standells, The Remains, etc. this band has all the chops yet updated by a decade and a half.

A TOTAL "Nuggets" experience, for sure.

have you seen the DVD, "The Last Waltz"?

CDs-Rock of Ages(live)

:tup