Photo

Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters... RELEASED!

309 replies to this topic

#61 Jim Alfredson

Jim Alfredson

Grand Poobah

• Admin
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 04:50 PM

Shoot. This was a mistake. I didn't want to read this thread until I ordered the disc because I didn't want to build up the anticipation. Now I realize I shouldn't have read it until I received the disc. This is going to be a hell of a long "3-4 days" until delivery! :blink:

Let us know when you get it! :)

#62 Jazzmoose

Jazzmoose

alces alces bebop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:40 PM

Got it earlier today, Jim. I was listening without reading the jacket, and one song just blew me away. I should have know after reading the above that it was Lifewish. Damn fine guitar!

The whole disc is awesome. I have to admit, it's different from what I expected, or rather what I feared. Good stuff, and it doesn't remind me of other stuff, you know what I mean? Original and cool!

#63 Jim Alfredson

Jim Alfredson

Grand Poobah

• Admin
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:16 PM

The whole disc is awesome. I have to admit, it's different from what I expected, or rather what I feared. Good stuff, and it doesn't remind me of other stuff, you know what I mean? Original and cool!

Mark,

We're really trying to do something different with the organ trio. I don't want to be another Jimmy Smith imitator. That's cool and all, but there are cats that can do it much better than me. Your comments are very helpful... it looks like we're succeeding in our goals. :D

Joe is a bad mofo. But he's bad in a subtle way. That's what I love about his playing! Thank you for your purchase and your comments! Spread the word, brotha!

#64 Joe G

Joe G

Guitarist

• Organissimo Member
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:34 PM

Thank you Mark, and Jim! Your posts made my day. :)

#65 Theo

Theo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 07:57 PM

What knocks me out on the CD is the quality of composition, as well as the complete tightness of the trio. First class stuff, guys. Keep it up. :D

#66 Alec

Alec

Veteran Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:36 PM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Great CD! While its nice to support people you know, (well at least through the board), you can't really be sure of getting anything of quality.

Not in this case! I would have bought it on first listen. Now if you would just tour in New Hampshire!

Thanks again for the great music and I look forward to more!

#67 randissimo

randissimo

Drummer

• Organissimo Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 10:53 PM

Now if you would just tour in New Hampshire!

We'd love to come out there and play! Can you hook us up?

...Maybe some Jazz education clinics, workshops, a concert,
maybe a lounge or tavern that features eclectic music....

:rolleyes: :)

#68 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:17 PM

I just received my Organissimo cd. I've only had a chance to listen to the first two tracks, but I am really impressed. All three of you play your asses off. I can't wait to hear the rest!

:g

#69 Joe G

Joe G

Guitarist

• Organissimo Member
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:05 PM

Excellent. Don't forget the easter egg hunt. :winky:

#70 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:07 PM

Excellent. Don't forget the easter egg hunt. :winky:

I haven't forgot. :g

I'm really looking forward to figuring it out.

:rsmile:

#71 randissimo

randissimo

Drummer

• Organissimo Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:24 PM

I just received my Organissimo cd. I've only had a chance to listen to the first two tracks, but I am really impressed. All three of you play your asses off. I can't wait to hear the rest!

I'm glad you got your copy and are enjoying it.. :rolleyes:

#72 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Randissimo!

I brought my copy to work and I plan on listening to it today.

I've really been enjoying it.

#73 randissimo

randissimo

Drummer

• Organissimo Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Randissimo!

I brought my copy to work and I plan on listening to it today.

I've really been enjoying it.

----Very cool! ;)

#74 Jim Alfredson

Jim Alfredson

Grand Poobah

• Admin
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:51 AM

Africa Brass,

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the record now that you've had it for awhile?

#75 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for asking B3-er!

I don't have the cd with me right now, but when I do I'll sit down and write out my impressions.

What I will say now is how much I am impressed by your individual playing on the cd. One thing my favorite albums have in common is that I can lock into what each of the different musicians is playing and enjoy the album on different levels. I feel the same way about your cd. Sometimes I just get really into the drums, other times really into the organ, etc..., and overall it's a great listen when I just focus on the whole thing. As a guitarist, I'm really impressed by Joe's playing. I don't know if this would be an accurate statement, but the first impression I had was this album is how it would sound if someone like Pat Metheny was playing in a smoking organ trio.

I bought the cd because I appreciated what you had done in creating this board and I the mp3 files sounded good on this site. I was very surprised by how much I liked the album. You know how it is when you hear your friend's band. Usually, you try to find something to like about it. In Organissimo's case, I would dig this record even if I didn't know (or like) you guys. It really smokes.

I don't know why people are buying Soulive when they can be buying your cd. If Tomatbluenote checks into this board, I would HIGHLY recommend he order a copy and then sign you guys up.

#76 Joe G

Joe G

Guitarist

• Organissimo Member
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:02 PM

Thank you again, my friend.

BTW, who is this Pat Metheny guy I keep hearing about?

#77 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:19 PM

You're welcome!

I hope you know I would tell you if I didn't like it. I think it's a drag when people tell me they like my music when I know they don't.

Fortunately, I really like it! :g

I really hope you guys can find some good management and.....

My wife is from Michigan. She keeps trying to get me to go out there for a visit. Maybe I can do that sometime and get to see you guys live. I don't imagine you'll be coming out to California anytime soon.

I hope the Metheny comparison is okay with you. That really was my initial thought upon hearing the album. I have been having fun trying to learn some of the guitar parts. My hands (and brain) are tired.

#78 Jim Alfredson

Jim Alfredson

Grand Poobah

• Admin
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:49 PM

I don't know why people are buying Soulive when they can be buying your cd.

Because they have a fan base I think. :)

We're gonna keep pushing... regardless of the fact that I just applied for about 6 jobs.

Eeesh. I've been enjoying this "only play music" thing.

#79 Joe G

Joe G

Guitarist

• Organissimo Member
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:23 PM

I hope the Metheny comparison is okay with you. That really was my initial thought upon hearing the album.

Well, Pat's music has had probably the biggest influence on my outlook out of anything in the past 8 years. The only assurance I need to hear is that I don't sound like just a cheap imitation. I hate hearing that in other people's playing, but sometimes it's hard to get perspective on yourself. Funny story, and I'll try to keep it short; a few years back when Jim and I were in MSU's jazz program, we got to play for Branford Marsalis in a clinic type setting. Now, the whole thrust of the program at this time was for students to go back and really learn the styles of the past, in particular the big band era. The purpose being to get everyone grounded in the tradition, which is a good thing generally. Charlie Christian was my model, though Andrew Speight cut me some slack and let me listen to Grant and Wes.

So we played a couple of tunes, and after making some observations about things we were doing, he asks me who I'm listening to. I thought I'd be smart and give the "correct" answer: Charlie, Grant, and Wes. He says, "There's someone else. C'mon, you can 'fess up." Sheepishly, I answer, "Well, I've been listening to a lot of Pat Metheny the last couple of years." "YES YOU HAVE!" he says. He went on to say, "now, that's not a bad thing. I listen to Pat. Pat's a badass, but it's important to have a thorough knowledge of what came before, or else you tend to sound derivative. It's like these rock bands that want to play like Led Zeppelin, but don't go back and listen to the blues: they sound like Whitesnake!"

So, I went back and did some homework, which continues to this day. So please tell me that I'm not the jazz equivalant to Whitesnake!

And, I hope you do come our way sometime! :D

Edited by Joe G, 17 April 2003 - 01:45 PM.

#80 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:31 PM

I don't know why people are buying Soulive when they can be buying your cd.

Because they have a fan base I think. :)

B3-er,

You've got a good start on your fan base here!

You have a forum for your band with 249 members and 9311 posts as I type this.

#81 AfricaBrass

AfricaBrass

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 01:39 PM

Joe,

Great story! I don't think you sound derivative at all.

I'm not the biggest expert on organ trios, but I've never heard one like Organissimo. I think you guys have a foot in the past and a foot in the future. I have a buddy who's doing the organ trio thing. When I listen to his group's music, it seems like a bunch of rock and roll guys trying to do the jazz thing. It's just not authentic. When I listen to your cd, I feel like I'm listening to the real thing.

Hopefully, you'll find some good management, I see no reason why you shouldn't be successful.

#82 Clunky

Clunky

Funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 06:11 AM

Just ordered this disc, havent managed to listen to audio clips but judging by the posts above I sure I wont be disappointed.

#83 ghost of miles

ghost of miles

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 01:44 PM

I'm putting in an order for this tomorrow and hope to feature it on my Wednesday June 4 radio show. I'll post a link a couple of days before the program.

#84 Joe G

Joe G

Guitarist

• Organissimo Member
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 02:24 PM

Awesome! Thanks, Ghost, that would be sweet of you.

And thank you too, Clunky!

#85 randissimo

randissimo

Drummer

• Organissimo Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 09:39 PM

I'm putting in an order for this tomorrow and hope to feature it on my Wednesday June 4 radio show. I'll post a link a couple of days before the program.

Thanks Ghost!

We feel we have a really good Cd and would like to try and do something with it..

#86 funkymonk

funkymonk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 12:47 PM

Review: Organissimo; Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters

This release can be summarized in one word; DEALIN'!!! This is one record I can spin over-and-over and it keeps on givin' out the good juju. With Jim Alfredson at the helm, these cats really burn-it-out with their smokin' brand of organ jazz seasoned with some hearty funk sauce! What a tasty beverage...! Nothin' kills me better than some fat tube-driven B-3 organ; soul stories humpin' out of a Leslie speaker. Jim's really done his homework, hittin' those licks and making mad mojo melodies on every track. Then consider the clean-as-a-broke-dilly-dog tone that Joe Gloss gets on his hollowbody. Man, he plays with a subtlety that makes me cry with holy annointing! And the shamanic skinsman Randy Marsh; what a wizard! That cat makes a cosmic noise with every slap of the stick and thump of the pedal. Always freshly creative with his lockdown, last-meal groovestyle. Guest artist Ron Blake lays it on thick with his tenor. In his signature Wu-Tang style, Ron conjures the Carribean sun. I'm tellin' you, this record swings hard! Organissimo delivers the tradition and on top of that, offers up some funk'd'fied odd meter; some delightfully stankalicious original music. Finger lickin'! Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters makes me want to give up being vegetarian and cook up something greaseyer-than-it-aughta-be! Maybe they'll come out with some soy-based chicken wangs, but untill then, I'll turn to Organissimo for my soul-food fix! Bravo, gentlemen! And crongratulations on your touring. I wish you continued opportunities to knock 'em dead! Y'all should be signed and worldwide, as of this posting.

Love Brotherly,
Ben "Funky Monk" Godoshian
music, lessons (never lessens)

Edited by funkymonk, 01 July 2003 - 01:33 PM.

#87 Jim Alfredson

Jim Alfredson

Grand Poobah

• Admin
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 02:25 PM

Haha! Thanks, Brother Ben for the review!

Just for the record, Ben is a good friend and fine musician so his review might be a tad biased.... maybe. :winky:

Can I quote that shit?

:0

#88 Joe G

Joe G

Guitarist

• Organissimo Member
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 06:49 PM

Yeah Ben!!! Take another chorus!!! :excited: :D B)

#89 randissimo

randissimo

Drummer

• Organissimo Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:23 AM

Review: Organissimo; Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters

And the shamanic skinsman Randy Marsh; what a wizard!  That cat makes a cosmic noise with every slap of the stick and thump of the pedal.  Always freshly creative with his lockdown, last-meal groovestyle.  be signed and worldwide, as of this posting. 

Love Brotherly,
Ben "Funky Monk" Godoshian
music, lessons (never lessens)

" Go Ben go!!! I've never been decribed before with such verve! :g :excited: :D

Edited by randissimo, 02 July 2003 - 11:27 AM.

#90 JSngry

JSngry

While logic makes its demands, emotion lends its voice

• 47,057 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:25 AM

You guys got reviewed in the new Cadence. They dug your album and described it as a "red alert" for organ fans!
:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users