Favorite Benny Golson Composition

Dan Gould

Which is yours?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is one of the few times I can actually choose "a" favorite. I'm with Geoff - "Stablemates" is it for me. Killer (in several ways ;) ) changes, and a beautifully lyrical melody (with an almost subliminal allusion to RITE OF SPRING that may or may not have been intentional). The lyrical quality usually gets obscured because of the tempo most cats play it at, but I had occasion to hear Jon Hendricks 3 nights out of a 5 night club booking back in the early 80s, and every time, he did "Stablemates" with what I guess were his lyrics, and he did it at a nice MEDIUM tempo, drummer on brushes, all that. The beauty of the melody just came alive hearing it like that, and I've been intoxicated by it (and a few other things...) ever since.

Park Avenue Petite, that's me baby, one vote.:D

Blue Mitchell plays it so well. The whole band is simply first rate on Blue Soul. Coincidentally, they play his Minor Vamp, as well as his arrangements of Polka Dots and Horace Silver's Nica's Dream.

Petite is a very soulful piece by Golson.

Thanks for including it.

Voted for 'I Remember Clifford'. Just superb.

But I could have voted for 'Blues March' which was the hip tune when the Jazz

Messengers (with Benny Golson) invaded France back in 1958. That tune was

being played on all the French radio stations then.

I'm with Dmitry on this one - "Park Avenue Petite". I picked up Blue Soul about a year or so ago, and that version of this tune grabbed me immediately. I have to admit that "You Don't Know What Love Is" runs through my head for a moment whenever I hear this, but Blue, Wynton, Sam, and Philly Joe do it so perfectly that it doesn't matter. Perhaps I'm voting for their version of the tune rather than the tune itself, but either way it gets my vote.

I Remember Clifford for the most part but I really love Whisper Not a la Keith Jarrett and co. Have any other piano trios recorded it?

AMG reveals a lengthy list of trio as well as duo or solo recordings of "Whisper Not", including Ray Bryant, George Cables, Kenny Drew, Tommy Flanagin, Harold Mabern, Ahmad Jamal and Hank Jones (on a CD I have that is quite nice, Essence with Billy Higgins and Ray Drummond) and Horace Tapscott.

Edited by Dan Gould

I thought it was pretty clear that when Shrugs wrote this:

I Remember Clifford for the most part but I really love Whisper Not a la Keith Jarrett and co. Have any other piano trios recorded it?

"it" refers to Whisper Not, not Clifford.

• 3 weeks later...

Whisper not, one of my fav jazz tune, and to me the ultimate version is from

Shelly Manne and his men at the Black Hawk, a true masterpiece, Richie Kamuca and Joe Gordon solos are just incredible and the groove, what can one say, jazz does not get much better than that!!!!!!!! does it?