Feb 21st RVG Batch

mgraham333

Art Blakey - Mosaic

I've been waiting for this one since the RVG series started! Won't be waiting for BMG/yourmusic to get this one!

Agreed there. Hubbard/Fuller/Shorter/Walton/Workman/Blakey was my favorite of all the Jazz Messengers units (Jymie Merritt was still the bassist here, but it's essentially the same group), and that is one of the greatest Messengers albums, especially Hubbard's "Crisis", but all the cuts are excellent. Not to be missed.

Edited by felser

• 1 month later...

Picked these up in Tower yesterday, they had these but not the earlier batch :huh::huh::huh: go figure.

Tomcat is a real suprise, it's the first time I have heard it and it's excellent, better than The Gigolo, i.m.h.o., Jackie McLean and Art Blakey are playing out of their skins on this one, however the cover is different to the original 1980's version, so let the whinging and whineing begin. :D:D:D

New Cover:

B000E1IGC4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Old Cover:

B000005HDJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've never heard Tom Cat, and I'm wondering why the Penguin Guide guys have no love for that recording: "least distinguished of Morgan's Blue Notes", "three-horn front line sounds cluttered", "the arrangements have no air in them", etc.

Any truth to that? Sure sounds like a good lineup, with an interesting selection of tunes...

Yea I remember reading the same thing as Uncle Skid in the Penguin Guide myself, so I was pleasently suprised with the very much above average session I heard last night. A lot better than other unreleased Morgan i've heard. It grooves in that way all the great Blue Notes do, not trying too hard but just a nice flow to it, the title track is a case in point, if you don't like it you won't like the rest, Blakey's playing on this is toe-tap-tastic.

Don't have the CD in front of me so I don't know what composer credit is given for 'Rigor Mortis' or how they spell it.

I picked up Tom Cat this evening, and I'm glad I ignored the Penguin guys and went with Cliff's and Chuck's recommendations.

Art Blakey is wonderful (especially on the title track), and I haven't found the three horns to be "cluttered" at all. This session kind of reminds me of my two favorite Morgan titles: Search for the New Land and The Procrastinator.

"Riggarmortes" is credited to Lee Morgan, as are all tunes except "Twilight Mist" -- McCoy Tyner.

Do not ignore Infinity.

I'd love to not ignore Infinity, but as far as I know, it's only available as an expensive import.

Maybe it too will be a Conn or RVG, sooner or later??

Infinity was available as a Connoisseur in 1998 . It does make an excellent companion to Jackie Mclean's Consequence as well .

The 1990 CD of Tom Cat has the cover from the Japanese lp reissue I believe . Does the new RVG have any photos from the session ?

I'm curious to know how the new Tom Cat compares sonically to the first CD issue .

Anyone else not received their CDUniverse shipment yet?

Most of the time I get the disc on Wednesday after release or at the latest Thursday. If I don't get them today I'm going to get very nervous that the shipment has been lost! :(

Edited by scottb

Most of the time I get the disc on Wednesday after release or at the latest Thursday. If I don't get them today I'm going to get very nervous that the shipment has been lost! :(

I haven't ordered any of the new RVG's (no, I'm not a heretic - I just have most of them on LP), but I've never had a problem with any CD Universe order I've made. I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you'll have your CDs and will be in Blue Note heaven before you can whistle "Silver's Serenade".

I live in the UK and got my CDUniverse BNs yesterday. Horace-Scope's a nice if not exactly earth shattering date but sound of the RVG is quite harsh but entirely listenable. As mentioned elsewhere the Gigolo sounds fine to these ears. I'm not much into JOS and had the rest as McMasters. No need to upgrade- sorry BN :rolleyes:

Mine came in the mail today from CD Universe--because of President's day on Monday things are probably off a day. I'm looking forward to getting home from work and listening this evening to Dippin' and Andrew Hill's new one :)