Sam Jones - The Soul Society

George Wallington - Jazz For The Carriage Trade

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This month's downloads:

Grant Green - Easy

I grabbed this one this month as well... figured I only spent about $1.50 on it in total. I knew what I was getting into, but damn...

So NOT worth the $1.50. There are a couple of decent moments (and I do mean only a couple) that almost make this album worthwhile... not something I can see myself listening to more than once or twice. I love Grant, but this one is strikkly shite!

Cheers,

Shane

Hmmmmmm.......some of those look pretty interesting.

How's the quality?

This month's downloads:

Grant Green - Easy

I grabbed this one this month as well... figured I only spent about $1.50 on it in total. I knew what I was getting into, but damn...

So NOT worth the $1.50. There are a couple of decent moments (and I do mean only a couple) that almost make this album worthwhile... not something I can see myself listening to more than once or twice. I love Grant, but this one is strikkly shite!

Cheers,

Shane

You are correct. I heard "Nighttime In The Switching Yard" today. So wan, so pale...not much happening there. Sounds like he was going through a bout of George Benson envy at the time. Our loss.

This month's downloads:

Grant Green - Easy

Cheers,

Shane

You are correct. I heard "Nighttime In The Switching Yard" today. So wan, so pale...not much happening there. Sounds like he was going through a bout of George Benson envy at the time. Our loss.

It's one of my favourite GG albums :)

(Though I've got to say that "Switching yard" is less effective than the other tracks.)

GG ALWAYS wanted to be as popular as George Benson. If you're looking to find music that is personal self-expression, "Easy" is very much IT from that side of Grant's character. (And the same kind of thing is true for George.) Of course, Grant and George weren't mono-faceted characters; they both had other ways of looking and feeling - in Grant's case, "Matador" and "Nigeria" are possibly the best expressions of that other side. But to say, "Oh well, I'm only interested in one side of the guy's personality" seems to me to miss quite a lot. As Michael Cuscuna said, "Grant Green was a great populariser."

MG

That new download manager sucks. I've been using the firewall workaround described in this thread to continue using the old software.

Seems like lots of people are angry about the forced "upgrade"... anybody else unhappy?

I had trouble with it at first, but when I finally figured out how to configure it properly it now works fine. I mostly objected to them taking away the choice of which version to use.

No problem with the eMusic Remote here either (so far).

What's REALLY pissing me off is the news that Epitaph/Hellcat/Fat Possum/Anti Records has left eMusic... apparently Epitaph thought that eMusic was not "charging enough" for their downloads. I lost a few albums (they have disappeared from the "My Downloads" section, I don't have them on my hard drive at the moment), so there's a few bucks gone out of my pocket.

What's worse... I've lost quite a bit of respect for Epitaph. Their decision to leave eMusic (in favor of iTunes) has cost them some $$$ from me... I certainly won't be buying anything of theirs in the future unless/until they come back to eMusic. I'm sorry, but there's just no fucking way I'm spending 99 cents for a 2 minute punk song at iTunes.

Ah well... I'm spending all of my downloads on OJC stuff anyways... I hope that all doesn't someday just disappear as well.

Cheers,

Shane

Aw hell...

I just double-checked, and I lost at least 15 albums when Epitaph et al. decided to pull the plug... including three Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros albums. This just pisses me off!

:rmad:

Shane

What do you mean by "lost?" Were these in your Saved For Later list or had you downloaded them before but deleted them?

I think he means they're no longer available for him to download again from eMusic because the label pulled the seed files.

You're right on the money, Lon. I lost my "original" downloads in a hard drive crash, and hadn't gone back to the "My Downloads" section to resave all of them to my new hard drive... I guess I figured they would always be there waiting to be downloaded. I'm not making that mistake again!

Cheers,

Shane

I just noticed that Ayler Records has pulled all but a couple of their albums off of eMusic. I figured this would happen someday, as Ayler now sell their albums as downloads directly... It's a shame, though, as I enjoyed several of their releases via eMusic (William Parker's - ...And William Danced is a damn fine album).

In light of me noticing that some labels have disappeared from eMusic recently (Epitaph, Ayler), I have a question for eMusic users: Is there a place on the eMusic site that informs their customers that labels will be leaving at xxx date? I've searched the site but can't find any relevant information about labels leaving (their "Press Release" section leaves A LOT to be desired).

I guess it would be similar to Mosaic's "Last Chance" section of their website. Surely eMusic knows when their deals with labels "expire"... it would be nice if they passed that information on to the customer!

Any thoughts on where I should be looking for this info?

Cheers,

Shane