Jackie McLean RIP

chris olivarez

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vivid recollection of J Mac from a Hartford listener.

Tom Reney

I graduated from Hartt in 1982 as a music education major. My last year there I told my classical saxophone teacher that I had talked to Jackie McLean and he had accepted me as a saxophone student. I then went to Prof. McLean and told him that my classical teacher said that I should study with him.

Luckily, neither of them checked with the other so I was able to work both sides of the aisle, so to speak, and I ended up studying with Mr. Jackie McLean (a direct line to every sax players hero Charlie Parker),

During that year I had the opportunity to take lessons from him at his home where Mrs. McLean would often greet me and give me a glass of water to soak my reeds in. Then Prof. McLean (I always called him Professor out of great respect and admiration) would have me play long tones, scales and the like. The exercises he would give me to practice were aural. Not written down. It was his way of ear training. Jackie McLean would talk to me about the history of early African American music, jazz and growing up in Harlem, hanging out with Sonny Rollins, piano lessons from Bud Powell and of course Bird.

He would allow me to tape our lessons with an old reel to reel tape recorder that my family owned (the one with the single green illuminated meter to show the intensity of the decibels being laid down on the iron oxide). I would take that thing home and slow down the speed so that I could learn the complicated, asymmetrical licks that Jackie let fly with feeling just a few hours earlier. I should have practiced those licks in all twelve keys but I ended making them part of my vernacular in the original key they were played in.

Jackie would talk about phraseology and the importance of music and staying free of substances, though he would not judge you if you happened to make unwise decisions. You see, he had been there.

He would introduce his students to great teachers like Jaki Byard, Walter Bishop Jr., among others. While I was in school I had a chance to play with Sue Terry, Tom Chapin (God rest his soul), and Nat Reeves.

I'm currently listening to his music on "Jazz à la Mode" and if I close my eyes he's right here.

Peace & Love,

Michael Psutka

Hartt, 1982

wow, this hit like a ton of bricks. saw jackie a few years ago at Yoshi's on Claremont in Oakland, had his son with him. of the 30 titles I own by Jackie, "Bluesnik" is my favorite. he had a plaintive wail in his horn like no other. the masters, where are their replacements?????????????????????????

Sad, sad news. I've been inspired by Jackie in so many ways---from late night listening through to copping some of his solos when my guitar playing needed a lift. Jackie will always be a great teacher. His recorded work still offers many rewards for the listener and for the student.

RIP, Jackie.

well, this post is a little late,but...i was at work,man my heart sank, when i checked out the board and saw, jackie mclean rip. knowing the huge loss to his family & the world of jazz, i was lucky enough, living very close to hartford, to have seen jackie many times,more than any other jazz musician. this was also a huge loss for the people of hartford, thru their artists collective, artists collective ,jackie & dollie mclean, were able to help many kids. and i am sure that dollie will keep it going strong. my last memory of seeing jackie & dollie,other than a concert, was at the hartford stage production of,the devil's music,(the life & blues of bessie smith). an excellent show,imo. there they were with a bus load of kids, taking them in to the show. they were very busy with all the kids, so i did not bother them. but there they were,trying to expand the kids interests into different areas of the arts. just one example of many. jackie & dollie were a godsend to the city of hartford, jackie, rest in peace & dollie continue your strong effort in helping the community.

I've been away all week and return to this sad news. Jackie is my favourite BN 1950/60s artist. When first getting into jazz I like many found his tone hard to like. This soon turned to great love and instant recognition , his BN sides are all IMO classics ( even Tipping the Scales). Saw him only once on tour with Blakey on the latter's last UK tour. RIP