Jackie McLean RIP

chris olivarez

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

Very sad news.

(I'm a bit uncomfortable with this news being place in the misc. forum. Wouldn't it be more respectful to move this thread to the Artists thread?)

Truly sad indeed.

The only time I saw him was a few years back in Boston and during the second half of the show he featured a very young, maybe high school, trumpeter that was in the audience. The young man's talent was deep and Jackie made him feel right at home. Let him take some flying solos. I'm sure it changed that boy's life and it was great to watch it happen.

I was fortunate to catch him quite a few times, most memorably at the "new" 5-Spot on St. Marks Place in '74, at Essex Community College in Newark around '89 (in which Oliver Lake was one of the enthusiastic members of an inexplicably sparse audience), and most terrifically at Lincoln Center in August '90 in a fabulous concert he dedicated to the memory of the late Walter Davis, Jr. He was very special in so many ways - his sound, his tremendous musicality and the feeling of comeraderie he engendered with the audience. Just a beautiful all around person.

Very sad news. Back when my jazz collection was growing based on musicians I'd heard on whatever my newest favorite was, I stumbled across a Liberty pressing of Bluesnik. I liked the cover, and I knew Kenny Drew from Blue Train so I grabbed it, and it was instrumental in solidifying my love of bluesy-style jazz and Kenny Drew, and I immediately went out looking for more Jackie Mac. Didn't love everything of his I ever heard but I surely enjoyed the exploration.

RIP

Like with Jimmy Smith, maybe we should add our favorite Jackie Mac albums as avatars. I'm going to do that right now.

My fondest memory of Jackie McLean was when he and Dizzy Gillespie, Phil Woods, Stan Getz, Milt Jackson, Hank Jones, Percy Heath, Max Roach and Billy Eckstine were all decorated with the medal of Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres in the majestuous offices of the French Culture Ministry overlooking the Palais Royal back in June 1989 in the heart of Paris. McLean and others were beaming at being treated in such grand manners. Quite a gathering!

There was a nice concert that evening by the musicians later that evening at La Grande Halle de La Villette! It was released on A&M.

Heard McLean play (with Lamont Johnson, Scotty Holt among others) at Slug's back in 1967. Plus various concerts including an apperarance with the group that had Steve Davis on trombone at the New Morning here.

McLean always delivered his best!

Damn it.

Jackie is just about the only person I think of when I think of alto sax. He really turned me on to the instrument.

Strangely enough, after not listening to any of his records for a while, "Destination Out" has been in heavy rotation this week. It's going back on now.

:(

Sinking feeling. I don't have the history with McLean's music that a lot of you have. I can remember reading some pretty incredible accounts here about hearing his albums on the day they were released, seeing him in his youth, etc. I was fortunate enough to see him play in NYC a couple of years back with Grachan and Hutch, and it was a phenomenal experience. I will always remember that night. There was something about Jackie's showmanship, a certain respect that he had earned over the years, and the way he handled himself, his band, the audience in that room that I really appreciated as much as anything. He was just being himself.

Thanks to David's Record of the Week, I have been spinning Destination Out!, Action, and A Fickle Sonance a lot this week.

There is a 1968 Jackie McLean session for Blue Note that was never released. It is listed as "rejected". Does anyone know anything about this session?

Woody Shaw (tp) Jackie McLean (as) Tyrone Washington (ts) Bobby

Hutcherson (vib) Scott Holt (b) Norman Connors (d)

Plaza Sound Studios, New York City

July 5, 1968

In Case You Haven't Heard

Hymn to Rap

One for Jeru

Kupenda

Abrasion

Kreilly,

The rejected session was rejected at Jackie's request - he thought the drummer ruined the date. This was in an interview in Cadence or Coda which I can no longer find.

Soul Stream,

I do not know what illness Jackie had. I just know that people who used to talk to him on a regular basis suddenly stopped hearing any news from him. I was always holding out hope (and certainly didn't want to post anything here since it was hearsay), but I heard that Barry Harris actually announced a couple of weeks ago in Baltimore that Jackie was very ill, and after that I feared the worst.

When and where did you see him play? I was just mentally running through my head what the last public appearances were. I saw two nights at the Iridium in late May (not early) 2004 with Grachan, Hutch and Rene. I met someone who saw him in Italy shortly threafter. I think he was also in Greece or Turkey that summer. He was also listed as part of the Dizzy alum band in Newport in August 2004, although I'm not sure he was there. I didn't hear of anything after that. If you saw him later than that, this would be very important info from a chronological standpoint.

Bertrand.

Having read the news late, late last night -- I pulled this out to listen to while getting ready for work this morning...

d95383j984x.jpg

All ballads and mid-tempo tunes, it just seemed like the kind of disc to play on such an occasion - a bit more somber.

One of my very first Mosaic purchases was the Jackie Mclean set, though ironically it was really more for all the sidemen, actually. I didn't know very much of Jackie's music at the time, and was just dipping my toe in the Mosaic pond. Wasn't brave enough to invest in many 6 and 7 disc sets, so the 4-disc Mclean set seemed like an easier step to take at the time.

RIP, dear Jackie. RIP.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I saw two nights at the Iridium in late May (not early) 2004 with Grachan, Hutch and Rene.

Bertrand.

Hey Bertrand, this is the same show I saw him at (maybe we sat next to each other. :D ). It didn't seem that long ago but I guess it has been 2 years now. Anyway, what a show. I'll never forget that one.

I remeber taking my girlfriend (now my wife of 18 years) to hear Jackie. She wasn't feeling all that well and drank WAY too much wine at dinner and almost backed out. But she agreed to go and we sat about 3 feet from the bell of his alto and I remember looking over at her and seeing the look of TOTAL rapture in her eyes about 30 seconds into Jackie's first solo. That look in her eyes has never left me.

Edited by Allan Songer

Like with Jimmy Smith, maybe we should add our favorite Jackie Mac albums as avatars. I'm going to do that right now.

I think this is a great idea.

Can someone tell me how to do it?

First, find an image of the Jackie cover you want to display. If it is online(AMG is the best source), right click on the image and choose properties. Copy the URL of the image by highlighting it and holding down 'control' + 'c'.

Click "My Controls" at the top of the page.

Click "edit Avatar Settings" on the left.

Go to the box for "Enter a URL to an online avatar image"

Hit 'control' + 'v' to paste the URL of your Jackie cover.

Click update Avatar.

If you have the image you want to use on your hard drive, you can upload it, but that gets complicated as there are size restrictions on uploads.