kenny weir

In my e-mail this morning ...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 1, 2003

ACCLAIMED SINGER VAN MORRISON SIGNS DEAL

WITH LEGENDARY JAZZ LABEL BLUE NOTE RECORDS;

MORRISON’S LABEL DEBUT, WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?,

DUE TO BE RELEASED OCTOBER 21st

Van Morrison has signed a worldwide deal with EMI Music’s legendary Blue Note label, which will give one of music’s most creative figures a home at the prestigious jazz label. Morrison’s Blue Note debut, What’s Wrong With This Picture?, will be released on October 21st. The album draws upon the jazz & blues influences that Morrison has explored consistently throughout his storied career.

Born in Ireland in 1945, Morrison has always relentlessly followed his own muse, incorporating jazz, blues, R&B and traditional Celtic music, creating his own distinctive voice and becoming one of the most important songwriters of the past century. This distinction was officially recognized on June 12th as Morrison was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame at their 34th annual induction and awards ceremony in New York City.

Hey it may not be among his more jazzy stuff, but Brown Eyed Girl is a pop classic - with one of the best (and simplest) bass solos ever. Shame on youse!

I really dug Van's most overtly jazzy outing How long Has This Been Going On when it came out (1996), but it wore out rather quickly.

This time out, for the likes of us, I'd say a lot will depend on who is playing on the album.

A buddy of mine saw him at Umbria a few weeks back, and said he was fine if as surly as ever.

Here's part of the festival review he wrote:

"July 15

I was surprised to hear later that some of the Italian critics had canned Van Morrison for this concert, as I thoroughly enjoyed it. Van, of course, gave the impression that he'd rather be somewhere else, but he was in good voice, and sang with plenty of feeling. The program included favourites like 'Moondance', 'Here Comes The Night', 'Days Like This', 'Precious Time' and 'Brown Eyed Girl'. He sang some jazzy numbers ('Sack O'Woe', 'Centrepiece'), and several blues, borrowed from the likes of Mose Allison, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters and Jimmy Witherspoon. The 6-piece band was strong, and sounded especially good on the shuffles that predominated. The encore began incongruously, with 'When You're Smiling' (!), before 'Gloria' sent the fans home happy."

J.A.W. Posted on Aug 7 2003, 07:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Chuck Nessa @ Aug 8 2003, 02:08 AM)

You can't expect "major labels" to make new music you care for. The best you can hope is they make enough money to "justify" reissues of older recordings you want.

I think this is a good move for us. 

I think so too. 

Agree 100%.

It coulda been worse. They could have looked for the next Peter Cincotti. Why bother? Sign Buddy Greco instead!

I don't know how much voice Van has left these days. but BN has shown a knack for turning out GOOD pop=oriented stuff with a jazz base. Dr. John's Ellington thing was superb in this regard.

I've dug Van's best work hugely, and will not be upset by this move unless the record really sucks, which I seriously doubt it will. And if Norah can do a cameo on something like "I Wann Roo You", well, how can that be BAD?

Full disclosure before I say something that I know some people won't like...

I've only ever owned one Van Morison album or CD in my entire life -- 1990's "Enlightenment", which I got as a free promo CD back when I worked at a top-40 radio-station, back while I was in college.

I've owned a small handful of Wynton CD's over the years, most notably his Columbia debut from 1981 (simply called "Wynton Marsalis"), and also "Black Codes" and "J Mood" -- all three of which I still own. The rest (perhaps as many as 4 more titles) I’ve traded off – most of them promos I got here and there, or gifts from relatives who really didn’t know my specific jazz tastes.

I only mention all that, so I can go on record as having owned more Wynton albums than Van Morison albums, before I say this:

In theory anyway (since I haven't heard either release), I have less of a problem with the concept of Van Morison releasing an album on Blue Note, than I do Wynton Marsalis.

Anybody else with me on this?? Sangry at least??

BTW, Rooster, are you aware of the personel for Astral Weeks? Richard Davis and Connie Kay, among others.

Had no idea. It's not that I specifically don't like Van Morison - it's just that (for whatever reason), I've just never heard any that moved me to go want to hear more. Then again, I've pretty much only heard what I've heard on the radio - which is practically never - since none of the radio I ever listen to, ever plays Van Morison.

I think there's a good chance I've never heard any of "Astral Weeks" before, so that's probably a hole I need to plug one of these days. Thanks!!

Rooster, I remember as a late teens rock fan in the mid '70s listening to Astral Weeks and wondering what all the fuss is about. I liked it OK but it just didn't seem that great.

About five years ago, and after listening to a lot of jazz, I revisted it and was quite stunned.

I would hesitate to call it a jazz masterpiece but it's not far short - and Davis and Kaye are vital to its success.

These days I'm more bemused that Astral Weeks is so regularly regarded as "a rock album with a jazz feel", when to me it sounds like a purebred jazz album - and that includes Morrison's singing AND the lyrics.

The connections have also helped me have a deeper affinity with albums on which Davis plays.

Who knows? He may not have another VEEDON FLEECE in him, but that doesn;t mean he may not surprise us.

I suspect BN will adopt much more of a Cassandra Wilson than a Norah Jones strategy as far as Van's promotion goes...

In theory anyway (since I haven't heard either release), I have less of a problem with the concept of Van Morison releasing an album on Blue Note, than I do Wynton Marsalis.

Anybody else with me on this?? Sangry at least??

Sure. And get VEEDON FLEECE ASAP!

Did anybody notice how when Harry Connick got dropped by Columbia that he went to Rounder? The label that handles Branford's label? And did a PIANO album?

Does Rounder have more bucks than Blue Note? Was Blue Note interested in Connick (gotta think that the cat can still sell some records)?

My theory is that everybody who was on Columbia during the Wynton era is trying to stay the hell away from him. Not a shred of evidence for it, and it's no doubt totally false, but DAMN does it satisfy my Inner Bitch! :g:g:g:g:g:g