Fresh Sound & Lone Hill Reissues Discussion

king ubu

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weird... now that Universal has become a wee bit active again in things MPS (not suggesting they would release anything by that Conti... who? isn't that a p0rn star anyway?) - how come FRS dare to rip off such things? And where do they take them? Japanese reissues? Or did Candoli and/or Rosolino get the rights of their MPS albums and this actually is a legit reissue?

weird... now that Universal has become a wee bit active again in things MPS (not suggesting they would release anything by that Conti... who? isn't that a p0rn star anyway?) - how come FRS dare to rip off such things? And where do they take them? Japanese reissues? Or did Candoli and/or Rosolino get the rights of their MPS albums and this actually is a legit reissue?

weird indeed, maybe they didn't anticipate that universal would get active again... (still, the mps catalogue is rich enough for two or three companies :D ) (also, somewhat strange that universal started again so shortly after licensing stuff to that promising music guy who make the japanese looking reissues... almost as if he got them thinking)

and promising music is also selling mps stuff from universal

http://www.promising-music.com/index.php?o...1&Itemid=35

here it says (in german) that promising music is a jointventure with universal

http://www.jazzthing.de/news/080306/2.shtml

are the candoli albums the first mps albums by the spaniards?

Edited by Niko

Thanks! :)

we are now left wondering about the unissued material free for all has heard...

It looks like the unissued material isn't on this release. I just assumed that since it was 2 discs that they somehow gathered all the material from the studio session (which is what I proposed when I emailed Mosaic). I heard the unissued material via a friend of mine who was friends w/Rosolino and had a copy that he had gotten from Frank.

I'm still hopeful that all the material from that studio session will come out on CD someday (it probably would all fit on one).

This still looks very desirable though!

Edited by Free For All

Wih Dusty Groove no longer carrying Fresh Sound or Lone Hill, what is best price source for these labels?

I'd like to get the Candoli CD!

Amazon Marketplace, where one of their big guys (Caiman or ImportCD's) will generally have a good price.

weird indeed, maybe they didn't anticipate that universal would get active again... (still, the mps catalogue is rich enough for two or three companies :D ) (also, somewhat strange that universal started again so shortly after licensing stuff to that promising music guy who make the japanese looking reissues... almost as if he got them thinking)

and promising music is also selling mps stuff from universal

http://www.promising-music.com/index.php?o...1&Itemid=35

here it says (in german) that promising music is a jointventure with universal

http://www.jazzthing.de/news/080306/2.shtml

are the candoli albums the first mps albums by the spaniards?

There's a thread somewhere about the Promising Music reissues. I think it was mentioned there that they'll co-exist in the sense the Universal does the more mainstream stuff (and the pop dreck comps) and Promising Music does some of the more adventurous stuff (though still no Cecil Taylor - seems Promising Music is more into the electric jazz kind of adventures, alas... and they ask ridiculous prizes for their reissues, too... their George Duke release costs more than half of the complete MPS Duke box released by Universal, at least in stores here... and of course that one album is part of the box as well).

edit: here's the Promising Music MPS thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=39234

Anyway, back on topic now... that Candoli/Rosolino looks good, but I guess those session Free for All heard would be even nicer to have one some well-done reissue!

Edited by king ubu

Wih Dusty Groove no longer carrying Fresh Sound or Lone Hill, what is best price source for these labels?

Interesting. They did have some of these in a used section, but I guess they are phasing them out (maybe they finally got a cease and desist letter that worried them). But I have to say that I have had a couple of issues with them in terms of customer service recently, so I am basically on the road to being an ex-customer of theirs -- and moving in this direction makes it even less likely I will stop in again.

Worlds Records usually gets these ahead of all else. Their prices are reasonable, and for orders over $25, shipping is free.

I didn't know that Dusty had dropped out of the Andorran reissue game entirely. Is there a reason why?

I didn't know that Dusty had dropped out of the Andorran reissue game entirely. Is there a reason why?

Speculation was that DG's partnership with Universal for their reissue label might have something to do with it.

Thanks. I hadn't even thought of this, and what do you know? It makes sense!!!

• 1 month later...

I just received the 2 CD "Bob Gordon Quintet/Sextet with Herbie Harper and Jack Montrose". I am enjoying it so far. I really wasn't too familiar with Bob Gordon before this.

Very good music indeed!

But a blatant rip-off, I assume, of the Blue Note West Coast Classics CD (which contained the Gordon 10 inch album as a bonus) and the Koch CD reissue of the Atlantic album.

Edited by king ubu

• 2 weeks later...

Very good music indeed!

But a blatant rip-off, I assume, of the Blue Note West Coast Classics CD (which contained the Gordon 10 inch album as a bonus) and the Koch CD reissue of the Atlantic album.

Lone Hill makes it so easy at times. I don't doubt you at all about this being a rip-off of the other albums (which I don't own).

I just received "Herb Ellis meets Stan Getz, Roy Eldridge, Art Pepper and Jimmy Giuffre". I think this came out a week or two ago. I like it so far.

It consists of the albums "Nothing But The Blues" (mono) and "Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre" (stereo). On the latter album, "due to time limitations", the solo guitar track "Patricia" had to be omitted unfortunately.

The CD clocks in at 79:41.

I have my eyes on a George Wallington Lonehill release. Anyone have any comments on that one?

It's the OJC Cafe Bohemia, the Blue Note 10", and some alternate takes. The OJC is easy to find cheaply and the Blue Note couples the Wallington session with a rare Frank Foster session and is not that hard to find at a reasonable price, so unless you're really into alternate takes, I'd stick to the originals on that one.

I saw this the other day in Tower:

Eric Dolphy/John Lewis: Play Kurt Weill

41BQS1p6+hL._SS500_.jpg

Here's the blurb on it;

Product Description

Digitally remastered and expanded edition. The complete Mike Zwerin album presenting modern Jazz musicians playing the music of Kurt Weill. Eric Dolphy and John Lewis were the stars of half of this album (Dolphy died before the second session was scheduled in 1965). As a bonus, all of the other small group studio recordings by Dolphy and Lewis playing together. Originally issued in different conceptual albums which included music from several sessions and with many variations in personnel, the small group collaborations between Eric Dolphy and John Lewis have never been previously compiled on a single set. 13 tracks. Lonehill. 2008.

Track Listings

1. Alabama Song

2. Havana Song

3. As You Make Your Bed

4. Mack The Knife

5. Bilbao Song

6. Barbara Song

7. Pirate Jenny

8. Mack The Knife [Alternate Take]

9. Bilbao Song [Alternate Take]

10. Pirate Jenny [Alternate Take]

11. Stranger

12. Afternoon In Paris

13. Night Float

I presume this is a rip of Sextet of Orchestra U.S.A.: Theatre Music of Kurt Weill, plus a few odds and ends. Is it any good, worth checking out?

BTW the amount of Black/Grey market releases they had there was nuts.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

• 4 months later...

I like the Byrd/Gryce Jazz Workshop series on Lone Hill. Also, the Definitive packaging of the Chet Baker material makes a whole lot more sense than what EMI has done with it. EMI has not served us well recently on how they stretch that Baker Pacific Jazz material into as many CD's as they possible can, 20 minutes of music plus alternate versions. I will admit that the sound quality on the recent EMI Baker issues was stunning compared with what has been out there in the past. Proper does an amazing job in putting out intelligent sets - so many of them are the ultimate word in a given period for a given artist.

I just picked up new copies of the The Byrd-Grice Complete Jazz Lab Quintet (3 vols.) from a vendor on Amazon for about $7.50 per disc and have to say that although the liner notes are far from exhaustive, the music is great and the sound quality is very good. This is the only purchase I've made from Lone Hill, but it seems they did a very good job on this reissue.