Fresh Sound & Lone Hill Reissues Discussion

king ubu

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paps - what you're hearing isn't any kind of sound cleanup or noise reduction - what you're hearing is how much better the concert sounds without the Mingus overdubs, which is the way it originally was. His overdubbing muddied everything up -

That makes sense.

The ojc I have is a 1989 release (OJCCD-044-2), and I had always thought it was a mess. The Mingus overdubs stuck out like a sore thumb.

Aggie, I do see a K2 version, but without the additional tracks.

I saw this the other day in Tower:

Eric Dolphy/John Lewis: Play Kurt Weill

41BQS1p6+hL._SS500_.jpg

Here's the blurb on it;

Product Description

Digitally remastered and expanded edition. The complete Mike Zwerin album presenting modern Jazz musicians playing the music of Kurt Weill. Eric Dolphy and John Lewis were the stars of half of this album (Dolphy died before the second session was scheduled in 1965). As a bonus, all of the other small group studio recordings by Dolphy and Lewis playing together. Originally issued in different conceptual albums which included music from several sessions and with many variations in personnel, the small group collaborations between Eric Dolphy and John Lewis have never been previously compiled on a single set. 13 tracks. Lonehill. 2008.

Track Listings

1. Alabama Song

2. Havana Song

3. As You Make Your Bed

4. Mack The Knife

5. Bilbao Song

6. Barbara Song

7. Pirate Jenny

8. Mack The Knife [Alternate Take]

9. Bilbao Song [Alternate Take]

10. Pirate Jenny [Alternate Take]

11. Stranger

12. Afternoon In Paris

13. Night Float

I presume this is a rip of Sextet of Orchestra U.S.A.: Theatre Music of Kurt Weill, plus a few odds and ends. Is it any good, worth checking out?

BTW the amount of Black/Grey market releases they had there was nuts.

I have this one, and it's very enjoyable (this is my first exposure to it).

Received an email from Amazon in the past day about this upcoming release. Anyone know anything about this date? It sure doesn't come cheap.

61GwV1q6luL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amazon

This was a "Jass" label lp, which makes this another boot of a boot. Formerly JAS 4005

Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp) Sonny Criss (as) Teddy Edwards (ts -5) Hampton Hawes (p) Leroy Vinnegar (b) Bobby Thomson (d) Joe Turner (vo -3,4)

"Memoriy Lane Club", Los Angeles, CA, January, 19701. Memoriy Lane Blues

2. Blues For J.L.

3. Feeling Happy

4. Shake, Rattle And Roll

5. Teddy's Blues

Not familliar with it. It looks like allmusic gives it 2 out of 5 stars, for what that's worth.

Tom, not to ask an off topic question, but it there a place on Amazon you know of to sign up for the upcoming release notifications.

Thanks

The only requirement that I'm aware of is that you have an account set up with Amazon in order to receive there emails. Mind you, not all mailings I receive from them are jazz related. Edited by Tom 1960

Received an email from Amazon in the past day about this upcoming release. Anyone know anything about this date? It sure doesn't come cheap.

Amazon

This was a "Jass" label lp, which makes this another boot of a boot. Formerly JAS 4005

Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp) Sonny Criss (as) Teddy Edwards (ts -5) Hampton Hawes (p) Leroy Vinnegar (b) Bobby Thomson (d) Joe Turner (vo -3,4)

2. Blues For J.L.

3. Feeling Happy

5. Teddy's Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96SakRrz8Z0 and there's more...

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon

2. Blues For J.L.

3. Feeling Happy

5. Teddy's Blues

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=96SakRrz8Z0 and there's more...

These guys are blowin! Great clip. Cd is a little pricey though.

Edited by Brad

Bob Brookmeyer fans should be interested in this one, I have it and was quite impressed with it especially "The Blues Hot And Cold", very nice stuff indeed. There is quite a lot of his piano playing on "7 X Wilder".

41qnQ5HhR9L._SS500_.jpg

Bob Brookmeyer: Blues Hot & Cold/7 X Wilder.

AMG Reivew of The Blues Hot and Cold.

AMG Reivew of 7 X Wilder.

That one could be interesting indeed...

The Blues Hot and Cold (1960): Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb) Jimmy Rowles (p) Buddy Clark (b) Mel Lewis (d)

7x Wilder (1961): Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb-1,p-2) Jim Hall (g) Bill Crow (b) Mel Lewis (d)

But then I'd have seen a few options for a Brookmeyer Select (either with some of the Verve stuff, though I don't know when his Verves turned crap/pop, or maybe picking up where the existing one ends, with "Portrait of an Artist", "Ivory Hunters", the Mercury "Jazz Is a Kick" and then some of the Verves.

Having got to know, but not owned, The Blues Hot and Cold in the sixties, I searched in vain for it for years, until I eventually found it on used vinyl in 2002 at Reckless Records (now closed down) in London's Soho. I'm so pleased to see it now issued on CD; it's too marvelous a record to be left to be forgotten.

Edited by BillF

Bob Brookmeyer fans should be interested in this one, I have it and was quite impressed with it especially "The Blues Hot And Cold", very nice stuff indeed. There is quite a lot of his piano playing on "7 X Wilder".

41qnQ5HhR9L._SS500_.jpg

Bob Brookmeyer: Blues Hot & Cold/7 X Wilder.

AMG Reivew of The Blues Hot and Cold.

AMG Reivew of 7 X Wilder.

That one could be interesting indeed...

The Blues Hot and Cold (1960): Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb) Jimmy Rowles (p) Buddy Clark (b) Mel Lewis (d)

7x Wilder (1961): Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb-1,p-2) Jim Hall (g) Bill Crow (b) Mel Lewis (d)

But then I'd have seen a few options for a Brookmeyer Select (either with some of the Verve stuff, though I don't know when his Verves turned crap/pop, or maybe picking up where the existing one ends, with "Portrait of an Artist", "Ivory Hunters", the Mercury "Jazz Is a Kick" and then some of the Verves.

Portrait of an Artist and Jazz Is a Kick were just released on this:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record.php?record_id=5353

Crap, so another Brookmeyer Select is definitively out of question... I just wish the Swiss distributors wouldn't ask their horrendous fantasy prices for Fresh Sound CDs!

Probably not their choice. Jordi Pujol is the Spanish Godfather!

Bought a batch from Fresh Sound/Blue Moon not long ago. Shipping rates from Spain aren't too attractive if you buy only a few but if you take 9 or 10 (or more) in one go it becomes quite affordable (working out at about 2 euros apiece within the EU (although, with you being in Switzerland, it's going to be some 2.50 EUR apiece, unfortunately). And their service is really fast. My order was shipped within 24 hours and arrived here about 2 days later.

That said, Jordi Pujol has done a lot for the collecting fraternity throughout Europe (far more than those multinational music conglomerate bigwigs who sit on their stuff and refuse to release it in a decent manner themselves, not to mention the way OJC is being run into the ground by Concord etc. etc.).

There's no denying that Pujol did a lot. I'm very ambivalent though, when he does stuff like the Pepper Adams Quintet/Critics Choice twofer, both albums still being available (I haven't checked the VSOP site though, but the Mighty Quinn I just got a few months ago), that really, really, really sucks!

Also of course a lot of the Lonehill, Gambit, JazzTrack, JazzBeat, RLR etc. activities suck big time!

Also with his New Talent imprint he does some good work (though I have only few of those releases... to me they fall into a similar box as Criss Cross etc... not very attractive mostly - and of course overpriced, to).

¨

As for ordering directly, I only did once. I think the conditions via their ebay-store are a bit better But still quite pricey!