Ornette Coleman Atlantic recordings

sal

By the way, thank you to all of you who helped me out! It looks as if I probably won't have this music for quite some time.....gonna have to save for the box set! But I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. ;)

That's the best decision, sal!

The box includes the three albums issued later on and compiling material from several sessions, which are not available here as single CDs, and all the stuff is chronologically packed. It's very interesting also, to see how the sound of the quartet changed with the changes of the bass or drums players (Higgins-Blackwell and Haden-Garrison-LaFaro).

And the music is sublime, of course! :wub:

ubu

By the way, thank you to all of you who helped me out! It looks as if I probably won't have this music for quite some time.....gonna have to save for the box set! But I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. ;)

BMG has this in their catalog -- you might be able to land a copy for cheap during one of their promotions. As far as retail outlets, www.alldirect.com is selling it for just under $70.

Guy

hey, lay off of the Dutch! We're a rude-in-the-mouth bunch, but really very soft-spoken! :g

I never understood where the old man got that one from. He himself was half Irish and half a variety of German called "Pennsylvania Dutch", and since I STILL don't know what the hell "Pennsylvania Dutch" are, I canonly conclude that he was proving his point by demonstrating it. :blink:

"Pennsylvania Dutch" is really "Pennsylvania Deutsch," or families of German immigants who came to Pennsylvania. The "Deutsch" became "Dutch" after the outbreak of World War II.

Got mine at a sale by a big jazz shop in Munich who had bought way too many copies when it was new, they had to clear their stock and sold some copies at half price ... :g

In Germany it periodically appears on ebay in good condition.

I agree, the box is the only way to get ALL of this music, and the chronological presentation makes a lot of sense. You'd have to buy several more CDs if you buy single album reissues, so it would get more expensive in the end.

• 15 years later...

IMG-3579.jpg

IMG-3580.jpg

I was lucky and found a sealed copy of the Tower Records SHM-CD of This Is Our Music (WQCP-1082) from 2011 that @Late recommended way back in another thread. (That thread got a little acrimonious between me and Lon, and since we have long since made up, I'm posting here.)

I got This Is Our Music (WQCP-1082) on Discogs here for just €13.65. It's companion Change of the Century (WQCP-1081) is also listed.

I like these remasters even better on my current speakers (Dali Ikon 5 MK2). Like Late said these discs sound quite natural. The bass is beautiful and deep. These remasters were made specifically for Tower Records Japan, like the similarly outstanding Tim Buckley Tower Records (SHM-)CD releases from 2010-3). They lack the very hot treble and (as I remember it) sometimes booming, manipulated bass sound of e.g. many other Warner Japanese 24bit and US/EU digipack jazz CDs from the (very) late 90s on.

To answer this thread's OP's question "Does anyone know if there are better, remastered versions of these albums out there?" the answer is these two Tower Records SHM-CDs and ORG Music's Hybrid SACD of The Shape of Jazz to Come (Bernie Grundman).

Edited by erwbol