The Beach Boys

Guy Berger

I'll check in from the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast middle class suburbia. I always associated The Beach Boys with California. The surfing songs and the cars and Barber-Ann, hep me Rhonda... I thought they were full of shit. I thought it sounded as phony as anything that the top five at ten was pushing during my youth. Still do, but what emerged from all of that suppressed emotion was really beautiful (later albums).

Anyway, it all sounded phony to me.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll check in from the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast middle class suburbia. I always associated The Beach Boys with California. The surfing songs and the cars and Barber-Ann, hep me Rhonda... I thought they were full of shit. I thought it sounded as phony as anything that the top five at ten was pushing during my youth. Still do, but what emerged from all of that suppressed emotion was really beautiful (later albums).

Anyway, it all sounded phony to me.

Never felt that way about the Beach Boy's .....i grew up on the east coast , and i figured they were

singing about stuff that happened out on the left coast . At least they were singing about their surroundings

whereas the Rolling Stones always appeared phoney to me singing songs that sounded like they were from Memphis.

IMP, you gotta follow that shit in its time: what other white pop/rock music was there? compare to all the alternatives. there were glories-- Del Shannon, Everly Bros, early Dylan to a degree but the REAL action, that was in the hillbilly realm (which all of the above drew from, natch) & even they'd start drifting pop. okay, you did have the The Wailers but they come out of r&b... which leaves us where? the BB's evolution was fast, startling & remember the biz climate they were operating outta.

J.-- we're cool but seriously, now keep yr eyes open for EBT & WIC signs (unless you do know already).

i think it's BB Today where things start getting esp. weird & hey, Black Flag recorded "TV Party" right?

edc

Yeah, I hear you now. I didn't care as a kid though.

re: Smile --

Is it worth looking for bootlegged versions of the '66-'67 sessions? I listened to the 2004 version and it's nice, but I kept wishing for a more authentic, less plastic sound.

Unfortunately, the piece was never completed - that is, assembled from the parts that make up the various previous releases, bootleg & legit. Fwiw, I expected to be disappointed by the new version, but I thought they nailed it pretty good.

Is it worth looking for bootlegged versions of the '66-'67 sessions? I listened to the 2004 version and it's nice, but I kept wishing for a more authentic, less plastic sound.

Guy

I think hearing the original material is a must. try tracking down the 4 cd box set "Best Unsurpassed

Masters ( 62-69). On Disc 4 you will find the Smile lp in very good sound all things considered.

I have been lucky enough to have seen Brian live 4 times in the last 5 years twice playing the

entire Smile album. Unbelievable and The Wondermints ( his backup group) are just fantastic.

Edited by zen archer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bixieland

Never felt that way about the Beach Boy's .....i grew up on the east coast , and i figured they were

singing about stuff that happened out on the left coast . At least they were singing about their surroundings

whereas the Rolling Stones always appeared phoney to me singing songs that sounded like they were from Memphis.

Excellent point, Zen. The Beach Boys were singing about what they knew...and in the process injected the human emotional experience into it. That's what artists do. And those are the only ones that I have any lasting interest in.

As he should, Brian used the elements available to him (Freshman harmonies/chuck berry licks/SoCal youth experience) and thus created his art based on that. Any aversions to what that was, should properly be addressed by the receiver. And as was mentioned, the demand that all forms of artistic expression be delivered on the terms of the receiver is also incorrect. Equally incorrect is the assumption that the quality and validity of artistic expression be based on the artifacts that that expression is attached to (i.e, Black/white/male/female)

Guy

I think hearing the original material is a must. try tracking down the 4 cd box set "Best Unsurpassed

Masters ( 62-69). On Disc 4 you will find the Smile lp in very good sound all things considered.

I have been lucky enough to have seen Brian live 4 times in the last 5 years twice playing the

entire Smile album. Unbelievable and The Wondermints ( his backup group) are just fantastic.

I just got a copy of this and I'm about half way through it right now. I have to say so far it's excellent. I haven't heard the 2004 recreation but this is pretty amazing.......

The Beach Boys

SMiLE - a STEREO reconstruction

(or "Not another damn SMiLE mix??!!??")

by Purple Chick

SBD > ? (many varied sources, I'm sure) > 'original' CDR > EAC > FLAC > you

1: Our Prayer/Gee

2: Heroes And Villians

3: Roll Plymouth Rock

4: Barnyard

5: Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine

6: Cabin Essence

7: Wonderful

8: Song For Children

9: Child Is Father Of The Man

10: Surf's Up

11: I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop

12: Vega-Tables

13: On A Holiday

14: Wind Chimes

15: Mrs. O'Leary's Cow

16: In Blue Hawaii

17: Good Vibrations

Very Unnecessary Bonus Tracks:

18: Vega-Tables (vocals only)

19: Our Prayer/Gee (mono)

20: Heroes And Villians (mono)

21: Roll Plymouth Rock (mono)

22: Child Is Father Of The Man (mono)

23: Surf's Up (alternate)

24: I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop (mono)

25: Vega-Tables (mono)

26: In Blue Hawaii (with mono sections)

27: Good Vibrations (stereo - original lyrics)

Brian Wilson's 2004 arrangement of SMiLE as performed by the Beach Boys back in the day. In glorious STEREO, just like it says on the cover. We decided to do it the way we imagined which necessitated edits, manipulation, speed tempo and pitch correction, etc. Despite killing all the sacred cows it sounds mighty fine to us.

seeder's note:

There have been many, many other attempts at reconstructing SMiLE. This one is by far the best I've heard. It all flows together beautifully, the arrangements and cuts are probably as good as we're going to get. Also, unlike any other version, it's almost completely in stereo. I think only "On A Holiday" is mostly mono, by necessity. Good Vibrations really packs a punch.

j-- this ain't a "test" of you, an empathetic dude (it seems), but do you know WIC & EBT stand for

Only in a food stamp context (though when I was growing up they still actually gave out "stamps" - actually it looked more like Monopoly money). I'm guessing there is some slang that I've missed out on.

Guy

I just got a copy of this and I'm about half way through it right now. I have to say so far it's excellent. I haven't heard the 2004 recreation but this is pretty amazing.......

The Beach Boys

by Purple Chick

Brian Wilson's 2004 arrangement of SMiLE as performed by the Beach Boys back in the day. In glorious STEREO, just like it says on the cover. We decided to do it the way we imagined which necessitated edits, manipulation, speed tempo and pitch correction, etc. Despite killing all the sacred cows it sounds mighty fine to us.

seeder's note:

There have been many, many other attempts at reconstructing SMiLE. This one is by far the best I've heard. It all flows together beautifully, the arrangements and cuts are probably as good as we're going to get. Also, unlike any other version, it's almost completely in stereo. I think only "On A Holiday" is mostly mono, by necessity. Good Vibrations really packs a punch.

I found an informative site RE: Purple Chick's Smile

http://www.earcandymag.com/purplechicksmile-2005.htm

yes, Paul, but... it's quite that simple. while there's much to parse/admire in that clip (Beach Boys-- first '60s oldies band ever, doing satiric Merle Haggard, in New York City)... one, the dude could sing. two, he was not not weird himself. (look at that beard & MIU album down the road). there is-- or should i say there seems-- no question Mike Love is a prick but he's not just that either...

over & over the crow flies uncover the cornfield,

edc

Not to get into a thing, clem - I agree with a lot of what you say. Have to say that I've never been much of a Beaches fan at all - I remember telling a friend back in their 60's heyday that they sounded like the aural equivalent of chrome and cotton candy. Still feel that way - their music just doesn't connect with me on an emotional level, and that's where it's got to start for me. That said, I can understand what other folks hear and love. I have a good friend whose intelligence and musical taste I respect who is a Brian/Beach Boys fan. He listens to them & I don't.

But - Mike Love can sing? Well, he can carry a tune - something he shares with probably 3/4ths of the world's population. If he'd had to rely on his singing talents instead of Brian Wilson's songs/arrangements, he'd be a bald retired car salesman today. (Yeah, I know he's credited as co-writer on some songs. I take that with a container of salt.)

Nick Gravenites: "I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle" - better satiric tribute to Hag.

But - Mike Love can sing? Well, he can carry a tune - something he shares with probably 3/4ths of the world's population. If he'd had to rely on his singing talents instead of Brian Wilson's songs/arrangements, he'd be a bald retired car salesman today. (Yeah, I know he's credited as co-writer on some songs. I take that with a container of salt.)

No disagreement with any of that, from all I can see, Mike Love is a truly odious individual. But to give credit where credit is due (if only to make the charges of odiousness more defense-proof), let's consider this and then move on:

A) Love's contribution to those songs has been pretty much established as lyrical, which I can buy, since Brian was not at all the gregarious social animal that the protagonists of his songs were.

B) It's Love singing the bass parts on all those layered vocal tracks, which is not that big of a deal early on, but becomes more of one when the parts start getting more involved.

Other than that, I look at Mike Love and realize that things like TM, etc. can make you a better person, do nothing at all for you one way or the other, or else turn you into a really mellow, self-centered, self-absorbed prick, especially if you were inclined that way to begin with.

• 2 years later...

Guy

The Beach Boys

by Purple Chick

seeder's note:

I found an informative site RE: Purple Chick's Smile

http://www.earcandymag.com/purplechicksmile-2005.htm

I really, really dig the Purple Chick reconstruction--I finally listened to Wilson's 2004 release today and found an awful lot to like in it, but some of the music sounds better to me in the original versions, esp. when heard in the context of the PC full-length, simulated-album context. (Which follows Wilson's 2004 running order, btw.)

But Love You, hey, that's a wacked out freakin' gem of an underrated work of parallel-universe self-contained geek genius. I was there at the time, and to say that people were..."confused" is putting it mildly. But the people who knew knew, and the impact on the underground was damn near immediate. I think you can safely call it the delayed SoCal doppelganger to There's a Riot Going On.

I really like that record, and am not much of a Pet Sounds fan. Brandon Burke long ago made me a very nicely stoned compilation of Smile tracks that I think holds up well, even after the Brian Wilson re-do.

late to the party here, but one thing I always found most interesting was how Brian Wilson took certain sources - particularly the Four Freshman and Phil Spector - and improved on them, really made them into art (I know Spector has a good rep, but though he made some great records I ultimately find him a sagging disappointment) - sort of a classic bad-art-leads-to-great art thing (like Norman Mailer on the films of Andy Warhol, which had a striking influence on filmmakers much more talented than he).

To me the Four Freshman harmonies are corny and sentimental - yet the nearly identical approach produces otherwordly sonorities in Wilson's hands.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 2 years later...

Beach Boys: Love You. One time I listen to this, and I think it's pure junk, another time -- it's pure genius. After 34 years, I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know however: Let Us Go On This Way is a top-ten Beach Boys song.

Edited by Matthew