RogerF

British jazz reissues

293 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Space Walk !    Windmill Tilter !

There was a longer list announced last year (which I don’t think had Space Walk in it) but this is a great start. 

The double album has some great selections on it - if the listing of this one indicates intent then could be forthcoming reissues for Mike Taylor, Colin Bates, Alan Skidmore, Mike Westbrook etc.

Put me down for 3 of each !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This will be costly!

Great to see download codes too. Also, no mention of 'limited' as far as I can see which means no mad dash

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 13/04/2021 at 10:58 PM, adh1907 said:

I have this LP and don’t have this problem. 
 

Anthony

London

My ‘Group Sounds Four and Five’ LP is OK too.

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This will be costly!

But all in a good cause !

if the Tone Poets don’t get you then the Decca British Jazz explosion will. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will definitely pick up Space Walk; I had that weird boot and the sound sucked. Wonder if they are shipping to the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Will definitely pick up Space Walk; I had that weird boot and the sound sucked. Wonder if they are shipping to the US?

I bought that 'Space walk' too, really poor. Interesting debate as to its legitimacy on the Discogs page at the time   I'm happy to repeat the Tubby shipping option if needs be Clifford.

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

My ‘Group Sounds Four and Five’ LP is OK too.

But all in a good cause !

if the Tone Poets don’t get you then the Decca British Jazz explosion will. :D

But what if they both get you! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Maybe that ‘Space Walk’ vinyl was cut from an MP3 of a needle drop?

These guys, in contrast, have access to master tapes held presumably at the old Polygram facility in Germany. Or possibly copies of the master tapes if the studio copies were retained by Lansdowne/Adrian Kerridge.

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I bought that 'Space walk' too, really poor. Interesting debate as to its legitimacy on the Discogs page at the time   I'm happy to repeat the Tubby shipping option if needs be Clifford.

But what if they both get you! :rolleyes:

I am resigned to that eventuality. :rolleyes::D

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Maybe that ‘Space Walk’ vinyl was cut from an MP3?

It wasn't so much the SQ as the mix, they'd managed to leave one channel of the mix out at some points!

This from the Discogs debate at the time

" The problem with the reissue - on Side 1 - is only one side of the stereo image (the left channel of the original recording) has been pressed on to both channels of the record. The result is that when the first saxophone solos on the reissue (right channel of the original issue) you are actually only hearing the reverb of this instrument, hence the ‘recessed sound’. When the second sax solos on the reissue the signal is much stronger (albeit ‘drier’ than in the original, without reverb) as you are hearing the channel to which it was originally panned.... this problem only affects Side 1 of the reissue - Side 2 has the correct stereo image.

Its difficult to understand how such a glaring mistake can get through a professional mastering stage, and then not be picked up on by a record label before manufacturing - surely listening to a test pressing would have made it obvious that there had been a mistake?

I wonder if maybe the original master tape for Side 1 of the album is damaged, and so a decision was made to go ahead and press using only one channel, "

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Interesting - I had a similar problem with a Clarke/Boland Big Band reissue from Germany, done in the early 2000s (not Rearward). Reputedly a boot (which I wasn’t aware of) and to be avoided at all cost.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - I had the very same problem with. Clarke/Boland Big Band reissue from Germany, done in the early 2000s (not Rearward). Reputedly a boot (which I wasn’t aware of) and to be avoided at all cost.

It's odd because the issue is so obvious but there are some posts from folk who claim not to have the issue on their copy.  I had two copies both faulty, still got the last one.  Will be buying tis new edition, definitely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, I had one copy and indeed it had this fault. Sounded like garbage. Will look forward to this and the Mike Taylors for sure, and curious to see what else they might have coming out that isn't in my hoard already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bandcamp site for Space Walk has some of the music up for streaming. It sounds the band was recorded in a Tube tunnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Plus a bit more information about the forthcoming Decca releases here, with speculation that Taylor’s ‘Pendulum’ might be slated for its first vinyl reissue next year.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Re: Spacewalk, I can’t comment on the 2018 Italian vinyl reissue but there was a legitimate reissue on CD by Polygram in 1999 courtesy of the late Richard Cook’s excellent Redial series. To my ears this CD version seems flawless both technically and musically. There have been CD reissues of both Windmill Tilter (BGO) and Le Dejeuner (Dusk Fire) but a hitherto dearth of Universal British jazz reissues save for the superb Tubby Hayes box set. So this is very welcome and the vinyl is very tempting. I only hope that Tony Higgins might persuade Universal to reissue some of the less known British jazz recordings such as the Carr/Clyne/Watts/Stevens little masterpiece Springboard or Guy Warren’s idiosyncratically brilliant Afro Jazz. But there are plenty more to choose from.

Edited by RogerF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Roger - ‘Afro Jazz’ was quite recently reissued on vinyl. I don’t think ‘Emergent Drums’ has been though.

I agree with the Polygram ‘Redial’ reissues on CD co- ordinated by Richard Cook - sound has been very good. I recently picked up the ‘Indo Jazz Fusions 1 and 2’ on that series, even though I have both on vinyl. A welcome addition.

Your post reminds me to dig out the vinyl of ‘Springboard’ this weekend !

I’m looking forward to this initial intro 2LP/2CD set. Suspect it will be a bit like the ‘Impressed’ compilations and I really like Tony Higgins very informative sleeve notes.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Roger - ‘Afro Jazz’ was quite recently reissued on vinyl. I don’t think ‘Emergent Drums’ has been though.

I agree with the Polygram ‘Redial’ reissues on CD co- ordinated by Richard Cook - sound has been very good. I recently picked up the ‘Indo Jazz Fusions 1 and 2’ on that series, even though I have both on vinyl. A welcome addition.

Your post reminds me to dig out the vinyl of ‘Springboard’ this weekend !

I’m looking forward to this initial intro 2LP/2CD set. Suspect it will be a bit like the ‘Impressed’ compilations and I really like Tony Higgins very informative sleeve notes.

Yes, you’re correct re: the Afro Jazz vinyl reissue and I bought a copy of that. I was thinking more of a domestic reissue (that one was Canadian I think) and also a CD reissue. But there are so many other potential candidates. Pity Vocalion gave up on the British jazz reissues. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

a. Hopefully this one will be reissued in these series. The Greek State Radio theme used by Ardley (This is the music Ardley was listening on the radio when he was in Greece.), is imprinted in every Greek's soul for ever. And especially when it gets such a Third Stream Jazz treatment:

 

greek-variations-lp-neil-ardley-ian-carr

 

b, Also, I did not know that the elusive "Mike Taylor Trio" was re-reissued last April:

R-18394447-1619017053-4038.jpeg.jpgR-18394447-1619100247-1357.jpeg.jpg

R-390619-1617644262-1244.jpeg.jpg

 

c. JPC preorder listings link.

Edited by RiRiIII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just downloaded & burnt to CDr the latest JIB offering - Mike Gibbs "Tanglewood 63 Revisited"

Phenomenal music - live in studio recordings a few months & close to the final recordings for the official release of "Tanglewood 63".

Stellar British jazzer lineup.

This is so so good!!

I suppose you could it a big band

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, romualdo said:

just downloaded & burnt to CDr the latest JIB offering - Mike Gibbs "Tanglewood 63 Revisited"

Phenomenal music - live in studio recordings a few months & close to the final recordings for the official release of "Tanglewood 63".

Stellar British jazzer lineup.

This is so so good!!

I suppose you could it a big band

Listening to it for the first time too. Excellent release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Is there a wider British Jazz thread on this site? I have had a look and can't find. 

Despite being British and liking jazz, I actually don't know much about British jazz. 

What I know is confined to (i) the trad stuff that was always on TV back in the day and is basically a punchline for my parent's generation of jazz fans (Acker Bilk etc.), (ii) SME, Derek Bailey and co., (iii) the recent South London and Manchester stuff, and (iv) Hoots Mon.

That's basically it though.

Anything in between is a blank to me. The whole "prog" side of the jazz wars; the more normal side of the avant garde (Surman, Webster, Harriot, etc); the prog/fusion tie in stuff; I know nothing.

It was only late in life that I even heard of the existence of Under Milk Wood. I am 99% sure that I am not even aware of the most basic classics.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

 (iv) Hoots Mon.

A classic.

Didn’t that one have Tony Crombie, Benny Green and (possibly) Red Price on it ? Cherry Wainer on organ.

Lord_Rockingham%27s_XI.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

A classic.

Didn’t that one have Tony Crombie, Benny Green and (possibly) Red Price on it ? Cherry Wainer on organ.

Lord_Rockingham%27s_XI.jpg

Hah, yes. 

I meant it semi seriously, but there was jazz talent in the group. I just love the look on Cherry Wainer's face when she is playing.  

 

 

Also, no tune gets the toddlers jumping faster (an important consideration for me at the moment). It beats even Jump In The Line by Harry Belafonte and the Peanut Vendor by Stan Kenton. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ian Carr's seminal 1972 album Belladonna has just been reissued by Mr Bongo. This is an official reissue licensed by UMG and there are two versions, CD and LP. It has been remastered at half-speed by Miles Showell at Abbey Road. The vinyl version (currently playing on the turntable) sounds fabulous and within its gatefold sleeve, the record sports the original Vertigo swirl logo on the labels. I always considered (and still do) that Allan Holdsworth guitar contribution on the closer, Hector's House is one of the most exciting solos I've ever heard, and the fastest. I believe that this is the first time this record has been reissued on vinyl although it has been reissued at least twice before on CD. Update: BTW listening to it now I'm hearing stuff I never heard before!

 

Belladonna.jpg

Edited by RogerF
Adding photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was just poking around on Dusty Groove, and I noticed that there's a big batch of Stan Tracey reissues due out soon.  (I see that they were mentioned in this thread above.)  All are being issued on the Resteamed label around July 1, 2021 (here in the U.S., at least).  Titles on the DG website:

- Child's Christmas Jazz Suite 
- Flying Pig
- From Stan With Love (With Love From Jazz We Love You Madly) 
- Later WorksHong Kong Suite Amandla Suite
- Sound Check
- Wisdom In The Wings (Free An One Seven Ages Of Man)

I've enjoyed some of Tracey's music -- (The Return of) Captain Adventure is a favorite -- but I'm unfamiliar with these reissues.  

Any thoughts or recommendations from Tracey-philes or others?

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I was just poking around on Dusty Groove, and I noticed that there's a big batch of Stan Tracey reissues due out soon.  (I see that they were mentioned in this thread above.)  All are being issued on the Resteamed label around July 1, 2021 (here in the U.S., at least).  Titles on the DG website:

- Child's Christmas Jazz Suite 
- Flying Pig
- From Stan With Love (With Love From Jazz We Love You Madly) 
- Later WorksHong Kong Suite Amandla Suite
- Sound Check
- Wisdom In The Wings (Free An One Seven Ages Of Man)

I've enjoyed some of Tracey's music -- (The Return of) Captain Adventure is a favorite -- but I'm unfamiliar with these reissues.  

Any thoughts or recommendations from Tracey-philes or others?

 

I'm no Tracey expert and in fact will be using this series to rectify my lamentable ignorance of anything other than 'Under Milk Wood' and the duets with Tippett and Surman.  Other frequenters of this thread will know a lot more and have greater insight I'm sure but...

'Wisdom In The Wings' is out here already and highly recommended as an opportunity to hear his quartet and big band work.  I sampled 'Hong Kong Suite' on Spotify and was knocked out by it.  I think my next purchase will be 'From Stan with Love' as I've wanted the Ellington tribute for a while.

The production values on the reissue I purchased are high, musically and presentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm no Tracey expert and in fact will be using this series to rectify my lamentable ignorance of anything other than 'Under Milk Wood' and the duets with Tippett and Surman.  Other frequenters of this thread will know a lot more and have greater insight I'm sure but...

'Wisdom In The Wings' is out here already and highly recommended as an opportunity to hear his quartet and big band work.  I sampled 'Hong Kong Suite' on Spotify and was knocked out by it.  I think my next purchase will be 'From Stan with Love' as I've wanted the Ellington tribute for a while.

The production values on the reissue I purchased are high, musically and presentation.

Thank you, sir! :tup 

The Ellington tribute caught my eye as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.